Another month, another disappointing round of wage growth

I get 30 days a year between family illness, vacation, personal illness, personal day, and legal, can roll over 5 vacation, all sick days, 5 family illness. Next year I get another week vacation, and of course 13 paid holidays a year. Next year I get another 5 vacation days, 5 years after that I get another 5, that continues till I hit 30 vacation days alone. Also get bereavement and can use up to 50 days from a sick bank in case of serious injury/illness. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is now a competition as to who gets the most paid leave.

Annual Vacation: 3 Weeks (w/ 5 days carry-over)

Sick Days: 20/yr (w/ unlimited carry-over)

Annual Vacation: 20 days per year, accrues at something slightly slower than 1 vacation day every 10 work days; I forget what the carry-over is other than that there's a point where you have to start burning vacation days in order to be able to accrue more

Sick Days: 10 days per year, they recently made it carry over, IIRC up to 7 days can roll over into the next year

Holidays: 8 actual holidays, 1 bullshit "floating holiday" that's effectively an extra non-carry-over vacation day. Also we get day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve (or day after Christmas if that will make it a 4-day weekend) so we really only have 6 distinct "everyone stops working" days/periods. This is probably the weakest point of what we get.

Etc: 3 days of emergency leave for things like moving or having to get something repaired. 3 days bereavement. 10 days of jury duty. None of these carry over.

In practice you could probably get away with using your sick days as vacation days due to nobody ever asking for doctor's notes. I've never had to use jury duty pay so I don't know if they'd make you prove it if you charged to that.

19 days of PTO a year (sick time is included in this) with an extra day added every year until you get to 30 days

Every 5 years you are awarded 160 hours of PTO that has to be used within 1 year

If you work more than 5 days in a week you get an additional day of PTO that has to be used within 30 days

I love my company 

My management staff gets 28 days PTO minimum, but they have a ton of scheduling flexibility so they can easily move things around to avoid using PTO days for scheduled things like doctors visits or kids school activities.

We also pay for a family vacation for each of our managers each year. For example I’m sending one to Disney World in October with her two kids. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

My management staff gets 28 days PTO minimum, but they have a ton of scheduling flexibility so they can easily move things around to avoid using PTO days for scheduled things like doctors visits or kids school activities.

We also pay for a family vacation for each of our managers each year. For example I’m sending one to Disney World in October with her two kids. 

Yo, you hiring?

4 hours ago, Oberon said:

19 days of PTO a year (sick time is included in this) with an extra day added every year until you get to 30 days

Every 5 years you are awarded 160 hours of PTO that has to be used within 1 year

If you work more than 5 days in a week you get an additional day of PTO that has to be used within 30 days

I love my company 

Do you literally have to work a sixth day in a calendar week or is it rolling and/or for exceeding 40 hours in a week?

Either way it sounds like they're probably good about letting you actually use your PTO given the time limit on that 160 hours of bonus PTO, which counts for a lot.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Do you literally have to work a sixth day in a calendar week or is it rolling and/or for exceeding 40 hours in a week?

Either way it sounds like they're probably good about letting you actually use your PTO given the time limit on that 160 hours of bonus PTO, which counts for a lot.

Yea 6th day in the calendar week. I manage a credit union that's open Monday to Saturday

58 minutes ago, Jason said:

Can your company tell me what percent victim I am?

They can tell you about your hereditary cancer risks and what behavioral health drugs might work with your liver.  Some other stuff...  They're still salty over losing that Supreme Court case where they tried to patent a couple genes.  I'm actively looking for another job, interviewed at the big company that controls the eyeglass business this past Monday, talking to a recruiter from a healthcare analytics company this Monday.

My last job at the power plant had a shitty sick day policy:  The first 5 days you have to call in sick in a calendar year count against your vacation time.  Only after using 5 days of vacation for being sick would the company start giving you actual paid sick days.  Only good thing was if someone called in sick and you had to cover their shift, it was automatic double time, so you'd make bank  during that 12 hour shift.  

My current job does not allow any PTO to carry over to the next year. I do not care for that. I hate nickel and diming with my time off when I start to approach a cap. I hate the idea of using time I do not have just to break even at 0 come Dec 31st. 

If a company really wanted to impress me with accrued time they would allow full accrual carry over of PTO and pay me out for any time that would have been accrued past the cap. Like small bonus each check for not taking time off. 

My previous job allowed carry over of PTO up to the cap of 120 hours. We also got a yearly floating holiday that did not carry over. And each quarter we got 8 hours of "personal" time (like sick time) which would allow 40 hours to carry over. I liked that plan. Downside was if you quit or were laid off you only got paid out on the standard PTO. When I got laid off I had 116 hours of PTO that I got paid for, and 12 hours of personal time that I did not get paid for. 

On 8/3/2018 at 11:23 AM, osxmatt said:

I know there's a graphic that is frequently shared, showing productivity growth compared to real wage growth since the 1960s or 1970s.

Is there a website or calculator that shows you what "you should" be making, if those two had keep in line over that period?

labor_graph.jpg

~200 vs ~400. Just double what you're making.

• Guillotine 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

201k jobs, 3.9% UE rate, 2.9% wage growth

Basically the same as the past year

Also

In its latest release of data, the BLS also stripped a total of 50,000 jobs from its two most recent jobs reports, saying total nonfarm employment had added 208,000 jobs rather than 248,000 in June, and 147,000 instead of 157,000 jobs in July.

"The number of unemployed people, at 6.2 million, was little changed," BLS acting Commissioner William J. Wiatrowski said. Of that number, 1.3 million people have been searching for work for at least 27 weeks.

"These long-term unemployed accounted for 21.5 percent of the total unemployed," Wiatrowski said.

The unemployment picture changed little or none at all across all major demographic groups in August, the BLS said.