Another month, another disappointing round of wage growth

I know there's a graphic that is frequently shared, showing productivity growth compared to real wage growth since the 1960s or 1970s.

Is there a website or calculator that shows you what "you should" be making, if those two had keep in line over that period?

22 minutes ago, legend said:

Holy shit. Was this made as satire or did someone actually mean it sincerely?

I can’t say for sure but this is the kind of thing I’d expect from a small business tyrant.  Based on the reflection, it looks like it’s hanging in an office. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

The vacation one is also really bad

I mean I guess this is an office so the culture is different,  but as a former restaurant manager, having an employee tell you that surprise! I am going on a vacation in two weeks really is quite annoying.

For once I'd like to hear an employer say:

All those extra hours you put in... we're gonna pay you for those!

Life seems to have gotten so expensive in this city.  So were going to provide you with a raise to at least help slightly with the rise in the cost of living

We were wrong, we're sorry

Good job folks.  Take the rest of the day off.  We met out project deadline!

This year the holiday party won't be doing drink tickets.  Just help yourselves!

You've worked hard around the clock.  Thank you for your hard work and dedication!

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

People shouldn't take vacations. It's more important that they work every day for their boss.

Especially when the boss needs to go down to a 3 day work week to get to the cottage each week during the summer.  Do you know how bad the traffic is if you have to leave during the weekend.

Golf tee times are also better during the weekdays! :twothumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Life seems to have gotten so expensive in this city.  So were going to provide you with a raise to at least help slightly with the rise in the cost of living

This year the holiday party won't be doing drink tickets.  Just help yourselves!

You've worked hard around the clock.  Thank you for your hard work and dedication!

What's a holiday party?

con'd

Those weekly meetings.  Yeah, we'll only do them once a month, if that.  Lets be honest, theyre a complete was of everyone's fucking time

the threat of layoffs is over.  Our accounting department realized that upper management was being drastically overpaid so they'll take a paycut so everyone keeps their jobs!!!

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Working late and on the weekends while letting the boss go home early and then rejecting a raise and taking a pay cut for it.

You know, maybe the boss had to leave early because of a prescheduled tee time?  You're kind of inconsiderate. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

I've always been of the opinion that there should be no such thing as an exempt employee.  If you work more than 40 hours, you get overtime. Doesn't even matter if you are salary, or management, or executive level.  It would probably do a lot to curb excessive work hours of salaried employees that is mandated up upper management.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah, seriously. The minimum standard here is three weeks, with the next legal minimum being four weeks after 10 years, and five weeks after 15, I think. And Canada still sucks compared to most European countries!

I get 4 weeks and that's not counting sick and holidays. What we don't have is anything like shutting down the office for a week in December despite knowing full well that everyone is going to be gone, which kind of pushes you into using you vacation then to at least piggy back off the holidays they put in. Although what annoys me more is that they give us the day after Thanksgiving but don't give us anything between New Year's Day and Memorial Day, I'd rather have to burn a vacation day the day after Thanksgiving in exchange for having a long weekend where everyone stops working.

(Not really trying to gripe though, I know I have it pretty good by American standards.)

Basically I like that Europe will do a week or even a month where whole companies just stop. A lot of vacation is great but if you have to use it while everyone else keeps working it can become a bit of a double-edged sword, which can affect your ability to enjoy your time off.