Jump to content

What should I play next: Witcher 3 vs. Ghost of Tsushima


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Bloodporne said:

How does dumping points into one work by the way? I see a "1/3" in a skill tile...I've been afraid to click it again in case I simply end up purchasing a duplicate. If I invest another point in the same skill tile does that create a duplicate or strengthen the skill?

Witcher 3 is different than most other open world games, in that you will only ever unlock a small fraction of the abilities, because you will only get a relatively small amount of ability points (I am ~150 hours in, level 50 and mid-way through the final DLC) and are only able to make a small amount of them active. TBH I believe there is a huge advantage in specializing your build, rather than spreading across different ability types:

1)  There are 4-tiers of abilities in each colour group, which are each unlocked by using a specific number of ability points in the previous tier

2)  The abilities seem to get more powerful as you go up the tiers

3)  Some abilities can be upgraded up to 5 times, each one will improve the modifier

4)  Combining character abilities in the same "group" with mutagens of the same colour give additional bonuses.

My build focuses on fast attack, with some strong attack -- along with School of the Cat (wearing light armour all around) -- and I'm using the first upgrade tier for Quen and Axii (for the additional dialog options).  TBH -- you may not want to go this way.  I am finding the combat REALLY easy (I started on "normal" difficulty, but moved up to "hard" mid-way through), and it has gotten easier as I have levelled up.

(There are also respec potions that are available later in the game, but I never used one.)

5 hours ago, Bloodporne said:

I just did the whole Wandering In The Dark and some sidequests last night and I'm almost up to Lvl 6 finally and also found a blacksmith for better weapons. Finally feel like I'm moving somewhere stat wise.

 

Also, what exactly does leveling up in this game 'give' you? Higher HP I assume, skill points? I forgot to check through everything, there's an overwhelming amount of stuff in that menu.

Levelling up gives you more Vitality (HP points), gives you access to more powerful weapons/armour, gives you ability points (to spend on character abilities) and gives you access to more character ability slots.

Additionally, when you fight mobs that have a higher level than you do, your attacks are nerfed, and their attacks are buffed.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:


Yeah it just makes the effect of that skill stronger. 
 

This fucking thread makes me wanna play again

Do it! I just didn’t want to play any games I have but haven’t played much. But damn, glad I started it.  If you got the urge, scratch it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been cleaning up all kinds of side quests, finished the Keira storyline in Velen for right now and I'm about to get into the Bloody Baron quest when I play next...

 

The difficulty, or specifically enemy levels, constantly throws me off. There'll be a human enemy several levels above me and I just destroy them, then I went to fight a wraith the same levels above me and couldn't even dent its health bar. Still haven't wrapped my head around what all that really indicates I guess and I think it's the fact the only ARPGs I've played since like 2011 are From titles apparently. I keep thinking everything works like in Souls for no reason just because there are castles and shit.

 

And great game so far, I'm really enjoying it, including the combat. I've been learning how to properly counter-attack and parry and it's fun stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

Been cleaning up all kinds of side quests, finished the Keira storyline in Velen for right now and I'm about to get into the Bloody Baron quest when I play next...

 

The difficulty, or specifically enemy levels, constantly throws me off. There'll be a human enemy several levels above me and I just destroy them, then I went to fight a wraith the same levels above me and couldn't even dent its health bar. Still haven't wrapped my head around what all that really indicates I guess and I think it's the fact the only ARPGs I've played since like 2011 are From titles apparently. I keep thinking everything works like in Souls for no reason just because there are castles and shit.

 

And great game so far, I'm really enjoying it, including the combat. I've been learning how to properly counter-attack and parry and it's fun stuff.

Make sure you are using the correct sword and use the correct oil when fighting monsters.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

Been cleaning up all kinds of side quests, finished the Keira storyline in Velen for right now and I'm about to get into the Bloody Baron quest when I play next...

 

The difficulty, or specifically enemy levels, constantly throws me off. There'll be a human enemy several levels above me and I just destroy them, then I went to fight a wraith the same levels above me and couldn't even dent its health bar. Still haven't wrapped my head around what all that really indicates I guess and I think it's the fact the only ARPGs I've played since like 2011 are From titles apparently. I keep thinking everything works like in Souls for no reason just because there are castles and shit.

 

And great game so far, I'm really enjoying it, including the combat. I've been learning how to properly counter-attack and parry and it's fun stuff.

Wraiths and Spectres are impacted by Yrden. If they are within the circle you do normal damage. If they aren’t, your attacks are nerfed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Wraiths and Spectres are impacted by Yrden. If they are within the circle you do normal damage. If they aren’t, your attacks are nerfed. 

I've been doing that yeah. I tend to read all the Bestiary entries and things like that in these games, figure out how to fight things. That being said, some monsters seem bizarrely strong for their level but maybe that's just the nature of the monster itself and less to do with the level number. Not a biggie. 

 

And actually, Jenny O' The Woods is next up on my hit list. That fucking jerk absolutely destroyed me when I first got the quest. Time for revenge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

I've been doing that yeah. I tend to read all the Bestiary entries and things like that in these games, figure out how to fight things. That being said, some monsters seem bizarrely strong for their level but maybe that's just the nature of the monster itself and less to do with the level number. Not a biggie. 

 

And actually, Jenny O' The Woods is next up on my hit list. That fucking jerk absolutely destroyed me when I first got the quest. Time for revenge.

Is your silver sword under powered compared to your steel sword? In the early levels, the difference between 1-2 levels of swords can be meaningful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Is your silver sword under powered compared to your steel sword? In the early levels, the difference between 1-2 levels of swords can be meaningful. 

I'm actually about to go on a Lvl 7 sword shopping trip next time I play but my current sword should be decent for my level, I'll see. I just leveled to 7 right before having to quit last night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, johnny said:

You should find places of power to get more ability points 

I won't be able to play again till Saturday and it's KILLING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

 

...I actually considered calling in sick at work today :pratt:

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

I won't be able to play again till Saturday and it's KILLING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

 

...I actually considered calling in sick at work today :pratt:

 

If you poop your pants they might send you home

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

I won't be able to play again till Saturday and it's KILLING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

 

...I actually considered calling in sick at work today :pratt:

 

You got the rona, now you have two weeks to beat the game!

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

 

You got the rona, now you have two weeks to beat the game!

I was seriously considering blowing off a date that would 100% lead to sex yesterday just to play instead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bloodporne said:

I was seriously considering blowing off a date that would 100% lead to sex just to play instead. 

I've actually done that before :lol: Do yourself a favor and hunt down The Witcher sets of armor and weapons. You can get some cool looks and perks for Geralt with those sets.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I've actually done that before :lol: Do yourself a favor and hunt down The Witcher sets of armor and weapons. You can get some cool looks and perks for Geralt with those sets.

I decided to hunt down The Pussy set instead. Cool looks and perks were part of that one as well.

 

 

Edit: that was crude...

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shit, this game is really good. The character and environment designs are amazing and the lighting and weather effects alone are beautiful stuff. 

 

Whoever designed those three Crones, damn. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

The character and environment designs are amazing and the lighting and weather effects alone are beautiful stuff.

 

Wait until you play Ghost of Tsushima. Also, Rdr2 says hi on lighting, environment, and weather effects. It's the best environment ever made in a game to date. 

 

Not to spoil the witcher 3 in any way. I just recently beat it back a few months ago for my second time. I'm glad you're enjoying it so much. It's a classic.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

 

Wait until you play Ghost of Tsushima. Also, Rdr2 says hi on lighting, environment, and weather effects. It's the best environment ever made in a game to date. 

 

Not to spoil the witcher 3 in any way. I just recently beat it back a few months ago for my second time. I'm glad you're enjoying it so much. It's a classic.

RDR2 is absolutely gorgeous, which I will always give that game despite thinking it sucks. Ghost... also looks amazing. The thing that gets me about this one is that I'm an absolute sucker for the whole 'dark medieval folklore' aesthetic and they've incorporated a lot of cool references and everything here. It's like dark European folklore porn and the visuals and everything paint it flawlessly.

 

And @gamer.tvis right on the money. I actually cleared all my plans for the weekend after tonight and I'm going to go total Gamer(TM), something I haven't done in quite some time. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

And @gamer.tvis right on the money. I actually cleared all my plans for the weekend after tonight and I'm going to go total Gamer(TM), something I haven't done in quite some time. 

 

Super Bowl Lil Nas X GIF by DoritosJust Do It Dew GIF by Mountaindewindia

 

Stock up on some of the essentials and you're good to go.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bloodporne said:

ROASTED...GOT 'EM...

 

Actually now I'm wondering why I didn't buy it on PC. Laziness won. 

 

Someone hyped you up on the next gen upgrade. :p

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did it. I went full Gamer (TM). I even bought chips and beer to prepare. Ended up playing an absurd amount over the weekend.

 

The scope of this game is fucking insane, truly. I can't even wrap my head around what it must take in terms of development to create something like Novigrad. I'm well aware how jaded I am video game wise but going through Novigrad made my jaw drop quite literally a few times.

 

I also really dig the alchemy mechanic. Crafting more efficient bombs, oils, potions and what not, it's a lot of fun. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I can’t believe the first post said ‘Ghost of Tsushima, no question’ lmao

To be fair, Ghost of Tsushima is very good. It's just not a generational game like Witcher 3 is.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That lighthouse at the very north-western edge of Velen has to be one of the most beautiful locations I've seen in a video game. I arrived there when the sun was sinking and it was basically purple and red, light streaming through the various windows. I can't praise the lighting in this enough, it's so, so fucking cool. 

 

And I get why everyone brought up the Bloody Baron storyline now, that was incredibly well done. Still always surprised by how dark and grotesque this game gets, for some reason I just didn't have that in my head at all whenever I saw the cover and screenshots. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Geez man, this bulk of "Rescue Dandelion" missions in Novigrad is endless and surprisingly boring compared to how nicely the game was rolling along so far. I think I'm almost done but I feel like I've spent 10 hours walking from map point to map point to watch uninteresting cutscenes. I couldn't take it anymore and ended up slaughtering the entire Witch Hunter compound which was the high point of Novigrad's missions so far. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bloodporne said:

 I couldn't take it anymore and ended up slaughtering the entire Witch Hunter compound which was the high point of Novigrad's missions so far. 

 

:clap:

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...