Invincible (Amazon Prime Video) - Season 2, Part 2 Official Trailer (14 March 2024)

Slug

1 hour ago, ort said:

I know this isn't for kids, but like, how not for kids is it? My 11 year old really wants to watch it. Apparently his friends are... I dunno.

EDIT: Apparently quite a bit not for kids. I'll watch it first and check it out.

95% is fine-ish for kids. The other 5% is very much not fine for them

1 hour ago, ort said:

I know this isn't for kids, but like, how not for kids is it? My 11 year old really wants to watch it. Apparently his friends are... I dunno.

EDIT: Apparently quite a bit not for kids. I'll watch it first and check it out.

It's 100% not for kids. At all. But watch it first but yeah, no chance. It's a show you may like a lot though!

22 hours ago, ort said:

It’s definitely not for kids, unless you let your kids watch really gory stuff with very bad language. It’s not bombarding you with that constantly, but when it’s gory, it’s very much so, etc.

On 4/21/2021 at 3:06 PM, ort said:

after the first episode you’ll know if you’re okay with your kid watching it or not. 

45 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Only one more episode to go.    Show definitely doesn't hold back on violence.

Hey, Todd McFarlane. . .cut a deal with Amazon and bring your "Spawn" animated series back.  Do it!

I thought there were rumblings of revival happening for HBO Max. If not I would be more then willing to get more animated Spawn on Prime. 

So I assume…

Comics spoilers:

Spoiler

They’re going to do the thing where Mark and Nolan and Debbie all reconnect. I wonder if they’ll handle it differently, I thought that was always the weakest part of the comic and in the show, they make Nolan’s actions *worse!* Nolan using Mark as a human battering ram is awful and that line about Debbie being like his pet hits a lot harder when its read aloud than it’s does in print. I dunno that there’s any way to do the whole back end of the story without that happening, but… yeesh.

As far as this season went… really well done, I think!

HOLY FUCK!!! They did not hold back on the carnage on that one and it was amazing. I’m slightly stoned, as I just finished watching it, but it just added to the tension

Bring on Season 2&3

. . . . now I gotta wait for Loki for comic book fix

18 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

So I assume…

Comics spoilers:

Hide contents

They’re going to do the thing where Mark and Nolan and Debbie all reconnect. I wonder if they’ll handle it differently, I thought that was always the weakest part of the comic and in the show, they make Nolan’s actions *worse!* Nolan using Mark as a human battering ram is awful and that line about Debbie being like his pet hits a lot harder when its read aloud than it’s does in print. I dunno that there’s any way to do the whole back end of the story without that happening, but… yeesh.

As far as this season went… really well done, I think!

yeah, major comic spoilers

It is going to be really hard to do Nolan's redemption arc after that episode and it is a huge part of the back half of the comic series. The train scene did one thing that the comic tried to do multiple times and failed at IMO and showed the impact that superhero fights and their actions have on the world. The comic did it a few times where some major attack would happen and we are supposed to feel the impact of it but they always undercut it be giving ridiculously low casualty figures, like when Dinosaurus flooded damn near the entire planet and only a couple million people died. The Chicago fight in series probably only resulted a few hundred dead but they are mother fucking DEAD

Damn the subway scene was brutal. That was a great, tight eight episodes. I'm curious to see how they go for the next two seasons and where/how they diverge from the comics.

This was a good interview...

invincible-poster.jpg
WWW.CBR.COM

Invincible creator Robert Kirkman talks the series' changes to the comic book series, the story's real stakes and the scene that brought him to tears.

Watched the first two episodes and am loving it. Right now I'm 50/50 on letting my 11-yo watch it. I'm going to watch the entire run and decide.

Here's my question... and no spoilers please (2 eps in)... but why is this show so gory? I feel like they could have very easily told the exact same story without turning the blood and guts knob up to 11. Putting it at a 6 or 7 would have gotten us to the exact same place storytelling wise. The show is definitely sillier and more light hearted than I expected. It actually reminds me a lot of a western version of One Punch Man... in that they live in this ridiculous comic book world where villains attacking is almost routine background noise and everything is normalized, and yet, when they kill people they explode into a red mist of entrails... why? Is it just to shock and titillate? Are they trying to make a point about how something like this would work if it really existed? Remove the fantasy and show reality? That doesn't make sense either, since it's also pretty goofy.

It doesn't bother me... gore doesn't bother me, but it has to kind of have a reason... and I just don't really see it yet.

That said, I really liked the first two eps... good show!

7 minutes ago, ort said:

Watched the first two episodes and am loving it. Right now I'm 50/50 on letting my 11-yo watch it. I'm going to watch the entire run and decide.

Here's my question... and no spoilers please (2 eps in)... but why is this show so gory? I feel like they could have very easily told the exact same story without turning the blood and guts knob up to 11. Putting it at a 6 or 7 would have gotten us to the exact same place storytelling wise. The show is definitely sillier and more light hearted than I expected. It actually reminds me a lot of a western version of One Punch Man... in that they live in this ridiculous comic book world where villains attacking is almost routine background noise and everything is normalized, and yet, when they kill people they explode into a red mist of entrails... why? Is it just to shock and titillate? Are they trying to make a point about how something like this would work if it really existed? Remove the fantasy and show reality? That doesn't make sense either, since it's also pretty goofy.

It doesn't bother me... gore doesn't bother me, but it has to kind of have a reason... and I just don't really see it yet.

The comic was part of the "what if the stuff super powered people did was real" wave that probably started with Alan Moore in Watchmen and Miracleman and has continued to some extent since then outside of mainstream, Marvel / DC stuff. There's an extent to which it gets "explained" later in this season, but that's the out-of-character reason.

9 minutes ago, ort said:

comic was the same with the gore, regular comicbook fights interspersed with moments of extreme violence, it got more graphic/frequent as the comic went on. They started at 10/10 in the series with the end of the first episode.

30 minutes ago, ort said:

I actually think the juxtaposition between the drama and the violence is what really makes the show work, personally. The first episode was just pretty good until the post-credits scene, which woke me the fuck up. It works I think. I would never show this to an 11 year old though haha. It gets even heavier later in the season.

Season finale was great.

• Like 1

Not having read the original comic, I initially confused it with this one:

Irredeemable_Cassaday_cover_art.jpg
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

The series follows the fall of the world's greatest superhero, the Plutonian, as he begins slaughtering the population of Earth. His former allies, the superhero group The Paradigm, attempt to find a way to stop his rampage while dealing with their own problems of betrayal and hopelessness

Just finished and HOOOOO LEEEEEEEE FUCKNUTS!

I have this ability to put myself in a characters mind frame to really feel what they feel in moments, and I genuinely teared up during that fight in the finale. Never mind the harrowing experiences of seeing the true brutality of it all. Just struck me at my core, only B:TAS & SW: TCW have ever really had that sort of impact upon me to react so emotionally from a cartoon. I would say the gruesome moments ring similar in nature to elements of The Animatrix in a way, especially The Renaissance parts 1 & 2.

I'm glad that I had at least *some* awareness of the IP prior to going in, but to be so completely blown away by the quality on every single level, astounding to be sure!

I had heard about a season 2 being given the go ahead, but that it's seasons 2 & 3 ... oh hell yeah, give me so much more of this property please!

For those with intimate knowledge of the comics' run, roughly how many issues were covered over the course of the 8 episodes? Do a lot of the looming plot lines come to rear their ugly heads down the road or had they been more multi-issue runs in their printed versions? Love the litany of seeds planted going forward for sure!

I have not read the comics, but apparently the first season only covered about 12 issues of the 144 issue run. Robert Kirkman is hoping to do between 5 and 7 seasons... but since it seems like this show might be a hit, hopefully they'll keep it going for a long time... maybe even more than 7? Who knows.

Since this just got renewed, I wonder how long it's gonna be before season 2 comes out. I'm guessing at least a year.

I loved this show. Like a lot... I'm going to post thoughts later...

7 hours ago, ort said:

I have not read the comics, but apparently the first season only covered about 12 issues of the 144 issue run. Robert Kirkman is hoping to do between 5 and 7 seasons... but since it seems like this show might be a hit, hopefully they'll keep it going for a long time... maybe even more than 7? Who knows.

Since this just got renewed, I wonder how long it's gonna be before season 2 comes out. I'm guessing at least a year.

I loved this show. Like a lot... I'm going to post thoughts later...

its a little all over the place though, Omni-man leaves earth around issue 12 or 13 pretty much exactly like it happens in the show but the stuff with Mark going to Mars and the new Guardians of the Globe getting their asses kicked by Battle Beast happen after that in the comic so things aren't in the same order

Thematically the comic retreads the same ground a few times  so I wouldn't be surprised if they cut or combine some plots. I would guess 5 seasons total, maybe bumping the last couple out to 10 episodes each.

I don’t wanna spoil the comic at all, since it’s generally worth a read.

But there’s a ton of stuff that could be cut with very little lost and they’re already doing that to an extent. They’ve also caused enough ripples in the pond that they could go in a couple very different directions compared to the original story, and might kinda be forced to.

There’s also some stuff in the comic that I don’t think works especially well at all; I’m interested to see what of that they keep.

I couldn't help myself & watched a few deep dives into the comics' run as a whole. The major story beats sound intriguing to be sure and I don't hate myself for spoiling matters as it actually makes me more excited for what is to come down the road! 

Kirkman himself stated that he has grown as a writer versus where he was when initially writing the book, on top of that, the way the medium of a cartoon is versus a book & the way things should be plotted out & told, this leans into the how's & why's of things playing out the way they did in this initial season.