War breaks out between Azerbaijan and Armenia, update: they're at it again

Jason

From what I've read, Turkey backing Azerbaijan all the way in this which isn't surprising at all considering their mutual ethnicity.

The question is whether Armenia will receive support from the regional power that covertly aided it the last time it went to war with Azerbaijan: Iran.

Yes, you read that correctly.  Muslim Iran aided Christian Armenia in its war with Muslim Azerbaijan in the 1990s

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Yes, you read that correctly.  Muslim Iran aided Christian Armenia in its war with Muslim Azerbaijan in the 1990s

More significantly, as I just looked up, Azerbaijan is mostly Shi'a. I was expecting to see that they're Sunni. 

30 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Iran is petrified of a "Greater Azerbaijan" that would encompass a large amount of Iranian territory as Azeris are the second largest ethnic group in the country.

That is why they've been pursuing nicer relations with the Azeris in recent years. I think Iran stays out of this. 

But the funniest thing about this is that Pakistan is backing Azerbaijan, and subsequently, India is backing Armenia!

4 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I assume you mean with the US. The answer is no. We well and truly do not give one shit about these two countries. 

Russia could get involved on the side of Armenia, but beyond that, who knows.

I don't see why the US government would give a shit unless nukes were potentially going to get involved. 

5 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I assume you mean with the US. The answer is no. We well and truly do not give one shit about these two countries. 

Russia could get involved on the side of Armenia, but beyond that, who knows.

Actually I never had the US in mind, I was more referring to other countries in the region.  

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to War breaks out between Azerbaijan and Armenia, update: Azeri military releases power metal music video
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to War breaks out between Azerbaijan and Armenia, update: Armenia recalls its ambassador to Israel over arms sales to Azerbaijan
  • 1 month later...

The conflict went very, very badly for Armenia which resulted in a Russian-brokered "cessation of hostilities", but  is realistically an Armenian capitulation.

Azerbaijan gets to keep the territory it captured in the conflict which amounts to about 50% of the disputed region.

This was the scene in Armenia's parliament building after the announcement of the agreement:

• Shocked 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to War breaks out between Azerbaijan and Armenia, update: Russian-brokered agreement ends conflict as Armenia capitulates
  • 1 year later...

Yup - they're at it again.

og-twitter.png
EURASIANET.ORG

Intense fighting has broken out between Armenia and Azerbaijan, with casualties heavier than at any time since last year’s war between the two countries.

Intense fighting has broken out between Armenia and Azerbaijan, with casualties heavier than at any time since last year’s war between the two countries.

Armenian sources reported at least 15 soldiers killed and 12 taken prisoner on November 16. Azerbaijan has not acknowledged any of its soldiers killed but the Armenian Ministry of

Defense reported that they had inflicted “heavy losses of personnel and materiel” on the other side.

Armenian sources reported that fighting took place on its territory near Sev Lich, the lake in the Syunik region where Azerbaijani soldiers crossed the border in May and have reportedly

remained ever since. Azerbaijani sources said most of the fighting took place in the regions of Kelbajar and Lachin.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to War breaks out between Azerbaijan and Armenia, update: they're at it again