Apple (briefly) became the first trillion dollar company

39 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

A few USB cables I've owned have done that. Or the connection stops working correctly.

Yeah but Apple has an ongoing notoriety for this. I remember way back in 2009 or 2010 having a Macbook Pro charging cable that had basically the exact same failure mechanism. They replaced it for free at the store, but still, I was using a charging cable for a laptop that look basically just like the one on the left and thank fucking god I happened to notice before it caught anything on fire.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah but Apple has an ongoing notoriety for this. I remember way back in 2009 or 2010 having a Macbook Pro charging cable that had basically the exact same failure mechanism. They replaced it for free at the store, but still, I was using a charging cable for a laptop that look basically just like the one on the left and thank fucking god I happened to notice before it caught anything on fire.

For what they charge for that stuff they should include a higher quality charging cable.

32 minutes ago, Jason said:

I had a 2011 Mac Book Pro and went through 3 charging cables. 

All of my wife cables look like this and none of mine do. It's from using it too much while plugged in and being too rough. If you take care of the cables they last just fine.

That said, yeah, they should totally make stronger cables. That said again, I always buy 3rd party cheapies. I'm not paying their price for cables. Screw that. You can get a good lightning cable for like $5 bucks online.

My wife's 2012 Macbook recently died, and she wanted a new one.  I tried really hard to convince her that newer windows laptops are actually pretty good, and showed her a few with similar form factors to current Macbooks. However, she wouldn't budge.  I ended up finding a 2016 (I think) new in box Macbook Air for $900 and I purchased it yesterday.  

My work computer is a Macbook pro with Touch Bar, and it's an ok computer.  The touch bar is neat, but it's also annoying.  With no haptic feedback when you press a graphic on the screen, you have to actually look at the touch bar most of the time to confirm you are pressing the right button. Plus I have some sort of weird issue where my battery drains over the weekend.  My last work computer, a 2013 Air, could stay in standby mode for what seemed like an eternity without draining the battery. 

2 hours ago, ort said:

If you take care of the cables they last just fine.

That's BS. I have had my Lenovo Y510p for over 5 years and currently a Razer Blade laptop and never had to buy a new power supply cable. I use my laptops for work so I constantly have to take them out and put them up. I took good care of wrapping it up properly but those cables aren't meant for excessive use.

Also I did try to buy a cheap non Apple one and that cable got hot. It was the second cable I got to replace the original because I wasn't gonna pay what Apple was asking. Eventually it got too hot that I didn't want to risk my $2000 Mac Book Pro over a $10 replacement so I worked what Apple wanted. Luckily the Mac Book Pro was a gift because a friend of mine spilled water all over my Windows laptop at his pre wedding party.

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

I still use my 2009 MacBook Pro as my primary computer. My 2011 iMac’s graphics card just bit the dust.

I've contemplated getting maybe a Surface for work (graphic and game design).

My personal laptop is a surf pro 4 (i7) and I love it, my wife kept trying to hog it so we got her a pro i5 last Xmas and she loves it. I use both an iPad Air and pro at work and I still vastly prefer my surf pro. If I could i’d Get work to buy me a surf laptop.

Consider hitting up an MS store in a mall to play around with one for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 11:35 AM, RedSoxFan9 said:

Looks like they just put down all their property as being worth $200. I wonder what the game is here? Are they just hoping that their assessment goes through unchallenged and save a chunk of change? I feel like if they lowballed an $8B property as being worth $1B they'd have a better chance of getting away with it, assuming anyone actually looks at the figures.

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Looks like they just put down all their property as being worth $200. I wonder what the game is here? Are they just hoping that their assessment goes through unchallenged and save a chunk of change? I feel like if they lowballed an $8B property as being worth $1B they'd have a better chance of getting away with it, assuming anyone actually looks at the figures.

I'd be shocked if they weren't getting killer land deals for fulfillment centers

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I’m guessing that the process of protesting requires you to put something down initially, not that they are actually expecting to get away with $200 valuations. I know that’s how it works here, you have to furnish the number you think it should be.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m guessing that the process of protesting requires you to put something down initially, not that they are actually expecting to get away with $200 valuations. I know that’s how it works here, you have to furnish the number you think it should be.

No way they actually expect $200 though, as you said.