XSX/XSS pre order thread

Dodger

On 9/22/2020 at 8:40 AM, Spork3245 said:

The DE PS5 isn’t a weaker system compared to the UHD BD PS5 so it’s not really an apt comparison. 

I didn't want to respond to this to possibly shit up this thread on the eve of people trying to lock down pre-orders but now that has past I thought I would clarify.

The point I was trying to highlight is I don't think demand for the XSS is as high as people think. There has been a lot of discussion on other forums that the S will sell like crazy and possibly outsell the X in the end because of its budget friendly price. Yet with allocations of XSS to XSX being nearly identical to PS5DE vs PS5, XSX were selling out quickly where XSS were still available for a while. This was not the case for PS5 DE which were a blink and you'll miss it situation while PS5 were selling out about the same speed as XSX were. I don't think there is anybody who pre-ordered an XSX and is unhappy they couldn't get a XSS instead yet there are quite a few people I've seen that got a PS5 and are unhappy they couldn't get a PS5DE. So for early indications I think people are inflating the demand for XSS which was the point I was trying to make. :)

Make no mistake, I am not in any delusion that microsoft won't sell out of every XSS they produce this year (as is the nature of a new console launch sans PS3/WiiU), I just think as things progress into 2021 I think demand for the XSS won't be as high. Yet I do also think MS will keep the XSS around far longer than sony will keep the PS5 DE. :p 

14 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I didn't want to respond to this to possibly shit up this thread on the eve of people trying to lock down pre-orders but now that has past I thought I would clarify.

The point I was trying to make is I don't think demand for the XSS is as high as people think. There has been a lot of discussion on other forums that the S will sell like crazy and possibly outsell the X in the end because of its budget friendly price. Yet with allocations of XSS to XSX being nearly identical to PS5DE vs PS5, XSX were selling out quickly where XSS were still available for a while. This was not the case for PS5 DE which were a blink and you'll miss it situation while PS5 were selling out about the same speed as XSX were. I don't think there is anybody who pre-ordered an XSX and is unhappy they couldn't get a XSS instead yet there are quite a few people I've seen that got a PS5 and are unhappy they couldn't get a PS5DE. So for early indications I think people are inflating the demand for XSS which was the point I was trying to make. :)

Make no mistake, I am not in any delusion that microsoft won't sell out of every XSS they produce this year (as is the nature of a new console launch sans PS3/WiiU), I just think as things progress into 2021 I think demand for the XSS won't be as high. Yet I do also think MS will keep the XSS around far longer than sony will keep the PS5 DE. :p 

The XSS is being produced at roughly 20% of the XSX numbers? :confused: 

It’s still not a great comparison, regardless, because if the S was digital-only and just as powerful as the X, it would be in a higher demand than the X, just like the DE PS5 vs the optical PS5. People claiming the S would be more popular than the X were probably basing that off of nothing beyond trying to justify a weak system.

EDIT: if you’re just saying “lol” to the people that thought the S would be some huge smash-hit vs the X, I don’t disagree :p 

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The XSS is being produced at roughly 20% of the XSX numbers? :confused: 

It’s still not a great comparison, regardless, because if the S was digital-only and just as powerful as the X, it would be in a higher demand than the X, just like the DE PS5 vs the optical PS5. People claiming the S would be more popular than the X were probably basing that off of nothing beyond trying to justify a weak system.

Based on allocations we saw from some people, stores were getting 20-30% of their allocations in XSS units to XSX units, much like PS5DE. Also yes people though the XSS being a budget friendly way to jump into the next gen would cause them to sell out like crazy, some going as far to say it would be the highest selling version in the long run. I personally don't agree and feel most want the latest and greatest. I do also agree with you that if the S was just a digital XSX it would be identical to the PS5DE in terms of selling out. I think we are in agreement but I'm just clarifying that my point is even at a budget friendly price I don't think the demand for the XSS is as high as (some) people were making it out to be (on the internet, not this forum).

Also people claiming the S would outsell more were using things like iphone sales to justify their opinion. :p There is a rather large thread on resetera if you want a deep dive into madness. :epilepsy:

I don’t think the S will sell well to people who are pre-ordering systems. The “gotta have it day one” types are likely not the type that will want to cut corners on power. I think where the S has a chance to be very strong is during the Holidays with parents. $299 for a brand new system is going to be an attention grabber, so it’s up to MS to figure out how to close those sales once they do so.

I actually tried to get an S for the kids playroom because they don’t care about graphics at all. Couldn’t get an order in on one of those, but did get an X order in on Bestbuy.com a couple hours after liftoff.

Preorders are for enthusiasts.  Of course the S isn't going to be the main goal of enthusiasts preordering.

Everyone that believes the S will do well are basing it on parents or casuals going to a store and seeing a $300 next gen console.  My brothers s casual, he had no idea preorders were up yesterday.  He doesn't game a ton.  He's the type that will see a $300 console and impulse buy it.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t think the S will sell well to people who are pre-ordering systems. The “gotta have it day one” types are likely not the type that will want to cut corners on power. I think where the S has a chance to be very strong is during the Holidays with parents. $299 for a brand new system is going to be an attention grabber, so it’s up to MS to figure out how to close those sales once they do so.

When parents are out shopping asking what box will let their kids play Fortnite or the new Avenger game and they see a $299 Xbox Series S and a $399 PS5 they will more than likely go with the cheaper box.

Due to limited stock in a launch year, Parents aren't going to find $299 XSS units on shelves for sale in the first place. :) That scenario won't actually work till next holiday season.

As for the fortnight issue, To be honest if that is what they are after they're most likely going to end up with a PS4 or XB1S at $200 or less from a black friday sale. 

1 minute ago, chakoo said:

Due to limited stock in a launch year, Parents aren't going to find $299 XSS units on shelves for sale in the first place. :) That scenario won't actually work till next holiday season.

Has MS said what the delivery numbers of Series S will be?

Yeah, people preordering the S are not people looking to upgrade their One X. Those people went for the SeX. The S would be for like a little brother or somebody who has been fine with the One S. Not your typical preorder crowd. I wonder if most S preorders went to people who also were getting an X. 

later it will be parents and such buying S in the store. Especially if they don’t understand the difference, because they see a $200 price difference. And their kid likely doesn’t have a 4K tv in their room. 

The PS5DE is a great deal, especially for people that already went mostly digital on the PS4, or new customers. It’s the same power at $100 less. If I were to get a PS5, it would be the one I’d get. 

I don’t buy into Sony’s “they didn’t know” answer. That was a horrible guess. My bet is on that Sony never wanted the PS5DE to be popular, and they were hoping nobody would notice the allocation difference. Why? Because the disc drive doesn’t cost $100. They make more or lose less per unit with the Disc Version than they do the DE. So for now they want as many people getting the standard PS5 as possible. The DE’s existence being little more than goodwill PR with little action backing it up. 

5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I don’t buy into Sony’s “they didn’t know” answer. That was a horrible guess. My bet is on that Sony never wanted the PS5DE to be popular, and they were hoping nobody would notice the allocation difference. Why? Because the disc drive doesn’t cost $100. They make more or lose less per unit with the Disc Version than they do the DE. So for now they want as many people getting the standard PS5 as possible. The DE’s existence being little more than goodwill PR with little action backing it up. 

I'm pretty sure Sony would rather have people pay the extra $100 for their console rather than not. Not because it's better value but because I'm sure they are taking a hit on the $399 PS5 due to them having to compete with the $299 XSX. 

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Has MS said what the delivery numbers of Series S will be?

Neither console manufacturer has said how many will actually be shipping at launch. The only numbers we have to go off are tweets over store stock allocation and they were pretty low.

-edit-

I'll have to hunt down the tweets but they were like 2-5 units vs 10-20 for the X.

Just now, The def star said:

I'm pretty sure Sony would rather have people pay the extra $100 for their console rather than not. Not because it's better value but because I'm sure they are taking a hit on the $399 PS5 due to them having to compete with the $299 XSX. 

It is in both companies interest to have you buy the more expensive unit in a launch window because unless things are awful, they will sell out what they produce. So why produce more units that will come at a larger loss than the more expensive unit.

4 minutes ago, chakoo said:

It is in both companies interest to have you buy the more expensive unit in a launch window because unless things are awful, they will sell out what they produce. So why produce more units that will come at a larger loss than the more expensive unit.

Yes and no. I feel like MS planned to make the cheapest console they can make and did so by actually making hardware differences. So they designed for a $299 price point. I don't think Sony wanted to go as low as $399 for the DE. This is all just speculation but it makes some what sense since they were at a stand off on price for so long.

2 minutes ago, The def star said:

Yes and no. I feel like MS planned to make the cheapest console they can make and did so by actually making hardware differences. So they planned for a $299 price point. I don't think Sony wanted to go as low as $399 for the DE. This is all just speculation but it makes some what sense since they were at a stand off on price for so long.

Both companies planned for their cheaper units. MS probably priced cut the S cheaper then they wanted to be competitive but the DE is very much a 20GB PS3/8GB WiiU/XB Arcade/etc. It will most likely be discontinued by this time next year. 

The existence of these consoles are not last min decisions, they've been in the planning for a while.

5 minutes ago, The def star said:

That’s exactly what I’m saying. They’re taking a bigger hit on the PS5DE in terms of cost. 

If for some reason that disc drive cost Sony $150 per unit, you bet your ass the  allocation would be reversed. 

9 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Both companies planned for their cheaper units. MS probably priced cut the S cheaper then they wanted to be competitive but the DE is very much a 20GB PS3/8GB WiiU/XB Arcade/etc. It will most likely be discontinued by this time next year. 

But MS announced the S price before Sony announced the DE price. 

8 minutes ago, chakoo said:

The existence of these consoles are not last min decisions, they've been in the planning for a while.

I'm not sure they will discontinue it. It is the one people want. Plus as manufacturers costs fall it will come into line of being profitable. Also Sony makes more money on the back end if people are all digital. 

They will definitely discontinue these monsters once they can make them smaller!

39 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

But MS announced the S price before Sony announced the DE price. 

Both were playing a game of chicken on announcing their pricing with MS ultimately going first. Not to mention a retailer was seeing a revised/refresh Xbox One S show up in their system also at $299 before the price of the XSS/XSX were announced. 

41 minutes ago, number305 said:

I'm not sure they will discontinue it. It is the one people want. Plus as manufacturers costs fall it will come into line of being profitable. Also Sony makes more money on the back end if people are all digital. 

They will definitely discontinue these monsters once they can make them smaller!

It will be more cost effective to slim down to a single SKU. Plus once cost drop to be profitable they will make back more from the higher priced model until they discount the price or launch a slimmer version (something that probably will happen sooner than later due to the size of the PS5).

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Both were playing a game of chicken on announcing their pricing with MS ultimately going first. Not to mention a retailer was seeing a revised/refresh Xbox One S show up in their system also at $299 before the price of the XSS/XSX were announced. 

Right, but my point was more to you saying MS probably cut the XSS to better match with the PS5DE that had not had a price announcement or leak yet. 

I would be very surprised if the two companies didn't have a pretty good idea of what the other was going charge, and were probably locked in to the price difference between their models (Series S being $100 under the DE, the DE being $100 under the PS5/Series X) even if they hadn't settled on the exact price. Basically, if Sony came out at $549 for the PS5, the DE would have been $449 and the X would be $549 and S at $349. I doubt there was any meaningful chance of the PS5 and X not being at price parity regardless of who announced first, though I feel like MS would have been the more likely party to undercut slightly with the high end if Sony had announced first.

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I would be very surprised if the two companies didn't have a pretty good idea of what the other was going charge, and were probably locked in to the price difference between their models (Series S being $100 under the DE, the DE being $100 under the PS5/Series X) even if they hadn't settled on the exact price. Basically, if Sony came out at $549 for the PS5, the DE would have been $449 and the X would be $549 and S at $349. I doubt there was any meaningful chance of the PS5 and X not being at price parity regardless of who announced first, though I feel like MS would have been the more likely party to undercut slightly with the high end if Sony had announced first.

Yep, exactly this.