"Officially Welcoming Bethesda to Team Xbox"

CitizenVectron

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

So with Obsidian and Bethesda now under one roof, and the lukewarm reception of The Outer Worlds, are they going to put Obsidian back to work making better versions of Bethesda's games?

Obsidian makes more than Fallout Clones. Like Pillars of Eternity for example.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

So with Obsidian and Bethesda now under one roof, and the lukewarm reception of The Outer Worlds, are they going to put Obsidian back to work making better versions of Bethesda's games?

They're already working on Avowed, which is "supposedly" a Skyrim clone taking place in the Pillars of Eternity universe. This was started before MS's announcement of the Zenimax acquisition. Probably a pretty good chance they'll be focusing completely on that before they decide to do anything else.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to "Officially Welcoming Bethesda to Team Xbox"

Seeing that image just reinforces to me how meteoric Bethesda's rise has been.  What they bring to the table is arguably to the scale of what Microsoft themselves did beforehand, including all their prior acquisitions.

Reminds me of the Rare buyout in some ways.  They were pumping out a crazy amount of good games in the N64 era, almost enough to rival Nintendo's output.  But this is also an entire publisher with studios everywhere.

Phil Spencer has been a godsend for Microsoft Xbox it seems. Remember the gaffes from Don Mattrick when Xbox One was unveiled? Definitely helps that Spencer is clearly playing games with a passion just like any other player, and not just some corporate schmuck that Microsoft brought in from Domino's Pizza, or Wal-Mart, or wherever. 

To me this acquisition feels like it's too big to fail (it isn't, but it feels that way). There are enough studios making enough games with a big enough catalog that it won't be long before MS is reaping benefits from this. It's impossible to say if those benefits will meet that dollar figure, but there should be a pretty consistent stream of games coming out to make it feel worthwhile.

With nearly every other purchase, Rare, Bungie, whatever, it was always so dependent on just a few upcoming games. The scale of this transaction is really something else.

It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft tried to do some kind of Game Pass thing on the Switch. They're already releasing games on Steam, and Nintendo isn't necessarily a competitor for them the way Sony is.

I do wonder if they'd release games on PS5, but charge full price for it. Like, "you could buy this on PS5 for $70, or you could just subscribe to Game Pass" or something. They win either way. Depending on what they put on Game Pass.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft tried to do some kind of Game Pass thing on the Switch. They're already releasing games on Steam, and Nintendo isn't necessarily a competitor for them the way Sony is.

I do wonder if they'd release games on PS5, but charge full price for it. Like, "you could buy this on PS5 for $70, or you could just subscribe to Game Pass" or something. They win either way. Depending on what they put on Game Pass.

I think they will go all in on Game Pass so I don't expect any games being sold on PS5 unless Sony allows Game Pass on there. I'm sure MS has been trying to convince Nintendo to let them have a Game Pass app or XCloud app on Switch but very doubtful Nintendo will allow it.

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

If I remember correctly there have been some credible rumors that was close to coming to fruition.

I don't see why cloud gaming would work any better (or worse) on the Switch than other platforms.  The larger question would be if you can stomach it to begin with.  Especially over wifi.

Doubt Games Pass will be allowed on Nintendo platforms anyways, cloud or not.  Nintendo has always insisted on not following industry trends to undercut game pricing.  It's been that way since analysts claimed F2P / $.99 mobile gaming would kill them.  They've clearly doubled down on the traditional model with the Switch and their step back from mobile.

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I recently got a backbone and have been really impressed with the steam and PS5 streaming to my phone - but only on a local connection. 

I tried it with Steam once to try Slay the Spire mobile that way.  Really wasn't impressed, but that's just me.  Have a Steam Link too, but could never enjoy gaming on it either.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

I tried it with Steam once to try Slay the Spire mobile that way.  Really wasn't impressed, but that's just me.  Have a Steam Link too, but could never enjoy gaming on it either.

It didn’t work as well as you hoped or you just didn’t enjoy it? 

I have run into a few issues with steam - like it’ll randomly disable pad support when I boot a game sometimes and I have to relaunch. And the one time I played around with the Witcher it had a delay that was unpleasant. However I’ve been playing Rogue Legacy on it and not exaggerating it works as if the game is installed on my phone. And it’s kinda weird but I play ESO from my PS5 on it and it works really well. 

I wanna try control on it but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. 

Of all the streaming services I've used, Steam Link was the worst for me.  PS Now I've only played hardwired with my PS4, and I don't even think Sony allows you to access PS Now on an app on your phone or tablet, though I maybe wrong.

xCloud I've used a lot while traveling, 500+ miles from the source, streaming directly from my console with minimal issues, on average Wifi connections.  It's definitely a viable option for those looking for that kind of access to their library.  I think it'd be fine on the Switch as an option if they could make a deal work.

I'd have to say even using xCloud over my parents house average Wifi from 500 miles away, the service was more consistent than using PS Now hardwired with my 1GB connection.  I used PS Now to play through God of War and God of War 2, and it was perfectly fine, but did have some lag spikes that could cause a lot of distortion and freezes.  Not enough to ruin the experience by any means.  xCloud has for the most part always been extremely consistent for me as well.

That being said, I don't believe Nintendo would ever allow it.