"Officially Welcoming Bethesda to Team Xbox"

CitizenVectron

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

I've been saying it for awhile.

Microsoft spent the second half of the generation investing billions into xCloud Servers worldwide and building up the infrastructure of Gamepass.  Now that that is all in place, they will start throwing the money at the content to scale up Game Pass Subs.  

Netflix wasn't what it was early on.  It had old second rate movies available in it's streaming catalog, old shows, ect.  Then Netflix invested billions in its content to have Netflix Originals.  Now they have 180million subscribers. 

Game Pass is at 15 million right now. Removing the barriers of entry with xCloud now, it could potentially balloon to huge numbers.  Microsoft was never competing on selling boxes, they were looking bigger picture on being able to reach as many potential customers as possible.

Yeah you've been saying this for awhile :cheers: @TomCat had been predicting a huge MS acquisition like this too.

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I never said anything about MS being on top... I just said Sony doesn't have the resources to just make an acquisition like this. They have a WHOLE corporation that is not just gaming and those other areas were not doing to0 well in recent years. I don't even know if Sony even NEEDS to make acquisitions like this... they're still the market leader and their first party output is very strong. It may not even be WORTH it for them to spend billions of dollars acquiring a third party studio. Who would even be worth it that would be reasonably within their reach? Square Enix? 

As far as publishers within their reach, Bandai Namco/Capcom/Sega/Square Enix are much less than their cash on hand, and video games are easily where Sony makes the most profit.

I don't know if they're going to go for a publisher (since they're likely making Silent Hills, they may also buy and resurrect popular IPs), but the acquisitions have been bigger in recent years. Even Insomniac was a huge deal considering they did multiplat games this gen and were much bigger than previous acquisitions, usually small studios that they would make into bigger ones like Naughty Dog or Guerrilla. The Tencent investment was also a surprise to me and big.

Now we're upping the ante at actual publishers. This isn't a one-off.

To the extent that Sony doesn't need to be reactionary, I agree. MS didn't get to this position by being reactionary. But I doubt what's in the works is going to be reactionary; they've already said they're going to further expand their apparatus well past Insomniac.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't even know if they could manage Sega. And what would that gain them really? The Yakuza franchise? What's Sega's biggest franchise these days?

Persona, Sonic, Yakuza probably.

Yeah, I really hope Sony can't buy shit. I really like what MS is doing because I can play all of their shit on my PC now. Sony will be console only, which is shit. 

This timed exclusive shit is even worse. Timed to get spoiled on FFXVI! Sony can choke on a cock an die. 

• Guillotine 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, number305 said:

The more I think about this, I kind of don't expect MS to make the huge games exclusives.  They are going to want those Sony sales.  The decision is going to be - get the games included with gamepass or buy them for $70 for PS5.

I can totally see MS do that since they have done it with Minecraft. It's definitely smart business. But Bethesda games being on Game Pass will have even some PS owners with PC's subscribe.

1 minute ago, The def star said:

I can totally see MS do that since they have done it with Minecraft. It's definitely smart business. But Bethesda games being on Game Pass will have even some PS owners with PC's subscribe.

Starfield specifically.  This has been in progress for years already, and probably won't come out until 22.  I think they will want to get all possible revenue.  The best place to play it will of course be PC.  But again... gamepass.

Even if MS were to allow their Bethesda games onto PS5, they could do the ol' timed exclusive dealio. I could potentially see them using this as leverage to have Sony do less timed exclusives if MS just does day-and-date on PS5 with big Bethesda titles.

Not saying I think that's gonna happen or anything, way too soon to know any of that shit, but it popped into my head and MS seems like they really want to work with other platforms rather than fight against them. We've seen this less with Sony, but if their ultimate goal is a hundred bajillion Game Pass subscribers, then they'll definitely want Sony fans onboard at some point.

Just now, Xbob42 said:

Even if MS were to allow their Bethesda games onto PS5, they could do the ol' timed exclusive dealio. I could potentially see them using this as leverage to have Sony do less timed exclusives if MS just does day-and-date on PS5 with big Bethesda titles.

Not saying I think that's gonna happen or anything, way too soon to know any of that shit, but it popped into my head and MS seems like they really want to work with other platforms rather than fight against them. We've seen this less with Sony, but if their ultimate goal is a hundred bajillion Game Pass subscribers, then they'll definitely want Sony fans onboard at some point.

Microsoft seems to be wanting to be the Netflix of games. They want the constant subscriber money and deals like this show that they are going for it. I'm sure if Nintendo let them do XCloud on the switch they would. 

Acquiring these kind of Studios also within Microsofts business model is a little less painful, knowing they will be releasing on Xbox, xCloud, and also Steam and Windows PC.  Sony buying up these studios and following its current business model of releasing only on Sony hardware is a harder pill to swallow.  

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

Acquiring these kind of Studios also within Microsofts business model is a little less painful, knowing they will be releasing on Xbox, xCloud, and also Steam and Windows PC.  Sony buying up these studios and following its current business model of releasing only on Sony hardware is a harder pill to swallow.  

4cyLJCik2Z9R7QAoz4exJR-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

2020 corporate report cites PC gaming as a competitor.