"Officially Welcoming Bethesda to Team Xbox"

CitizenVectron

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Boy, have I heard this, "Sony has less money," line before.

Hold onto your butts. Things are gonna consolidate in sometimes scary ways.

So yeah... Sony was looking to sell their movie studio not long ago ( I know a bunch of people who work there and they were worried about their jobs) The only thing that stopped it was that their TV and Movie stuff along with Playstation are the corporation's biggest money makers right now. The problem is no movies this year so... they were bleeding money losing on the mobile phone and laptop bets and the competition in the TV space ate into their bottom line too. They don't have a lot of cash on hand :shrug:

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

So yeah... Sony was looking to sell their movie studio not long ago ( I know a bunch of people who work there and they were worried about their jobs) The only thing that stopped it was that their TV and Movie stuff along with Playstation are the corporation's biggest money makers right now. The problem is no movies this year so... they bleeding money losing on the mobile phone and laptop bets and the competition in the TV space ate into their bottom line too. They don't have a lot of cash on hand :shrug:

They have 33 billion on hand. If you think Capcom, Sega, Square-Enix, etc. are out-of-reach or require them to plop the money up front, then think that. But Bethesda won't be the last big one and it won't just be MS among the big three.

5 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

Guess this was their back up plan when the Bungie talks fell through.

If Bungie wanted more than $7 Billion dollars I can see why MS didn't bite. 1 studio vs  id SoftwareArkane StudiosMachineGamesTango GameworksBethesda Game StudiosZeniMax Online Studios is a much better deal. Especially when the plan is to grow Game Pass. 

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

They have 33 billion on hand. If you think Capcom, Sega, Square-Enix, etc. are out-of-reach or require them to plop the money up front, then think that. But Bethesda won't be the last big one and it won't just be MS among the big three.

And if you think Sony has as deep pockets as MS I don't know what to tell you... they're already likely selling the PS5 at a loss. At most what I see from them is third party exclusives timed and otherwise. I definitely don't see sony shelling out this kinda of cash for a developer but who knows?

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And if you think Sony has a deep pockets as MS I don't know what to tell you... they're already likely selling the PS5 at a loss. At most what I see from them is third party exclusives timed and otherwise. I definitely don't see sony shelling out this kinda of cash for a developer but who knows?

I can see Sony buying another 2nd party developer but nothing like a Capcom or especially a Square Enix. Maybe Sega?

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

And if you think Sony has a deep pockets as MS I don't know what to tell you... they're already likely selling the PS5 at a loss. At most what I see from them is third party exclusives timed and otherwise. I definitely don't see sony shelling out this kinda of cash for a developer but who knows?

You sound a lot like Scape Zero years ago who really thought MS was gonna get on top because of the monies.

I don't know how much you think they have or require, but if you think the only one who's going to make big moves like this is MS because they'll get everything undisturbed and unfethered, then you can think that. But the writing's on the wall on acquisitions. I don't like it, but it's gonna happen.

1 minute ago, number305 said:

The funny thing is that now MS is going to be providing SONY with two timed exclusives during the launch window of the new consoles.  Weird situation.  

Yeah, but in exchange the money Sony paid to Bethesda goes into the wallet of MS, paying for at least a little chunk of the acquisition at no additional effort!

• Like 1

Just now, SaysWho? said:

You sound a lot like Scape Zero years ago who really thought MS was gonna get on top because of the monies.

I don't know how much you think they have or require, but if you think the only one who's going to make big moves like this is MS because they'll get everything undisturbed and unfethered, then you can think that. But the writing's on the wall on acquisitions. I don't like it, but it's gonna happen.

I never said anything about MS being on top... I just said Sony doesn't have the resources to just make an acquisition like this. They have a WHOLE corporation that is not just gaming and those other areas were not doing to0 well in recent years. I don't even know if Sony even NEEDS to make acquisitions like this... they're still the market leader and their first party output is very strong. It may not even be WORTH it for them to spend billions of dollars acquiring a third party studio. Who would even be worth it that would be reasonably within their reach? Square Enix? 

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I never said anything about MS being on top... I just said Sony doesn't have the resources to just make an acquisition like this. They have a WHOLE corporation that is not just gaming and those other areas were not doing to0 well in recent years. I don't even know if Sony even NEEDS to make acquisitions like this... they're still the market leader and their first party output is very strong. It may not even be WORTH it for them to spend billions of dollars acquiring a third party studio. Who would even be worth it that would be reasonably within their reach? Square Enix? 

For me there isn't another studio that is on this level.  I didn't even think Bethesda was in play.  Others may prefer Square.

1 minute ago, number305 said:

For me there isn't another studio that is on this level.  I didn't even think Bethesda was in play.  Others may prefer Square.

Rockstar but I don't see that happening... Square Enix is the only one I can think of that would make sense. Like I said though Sony is probably eating a lot of losses with the PS5 so they may be straped for cash at the moment.

• Like 1

I've been saying it for awhile.

Microsoft spent the second half of the generation investing billions into xCloud Servers worldwide and building up the infrastructure of Gamepass.  Now that that is all in place, they will start throwing the money at the content to scale up Game Pass Subs.  

Netflix wasn't what it was early on.  It had old second rate movies available in it's streaming catalog, old shows, ect.  Then Netflix invested billions in its content to have Netflix Originals.  Now they have 180million subscribers. 

Game Pass is at 15 million right now. Removing the barriers of entry with xCloud now, it could potentially balloon to huge numbers.  Microsoft was never competing on selling boxes, they were looking bigger picture on being able to reach as many potential customers as possible.