WandaVision OT - For the Children!

Pikachu

To bring it back to the title of this thread, the residents did their best to comply with Wanda despite being mind controlled to keep their children safe in their rooms. They endured "for the children". Not that they could fight it. heh

9 hours ago, NeoJoe said:

To bring it back to the title of this thread, the residents did their best to comply with Wanda despite being mind controlled to keep their children safe in their rooms. They endured "for the children". Not that they could fight it. heh

Good point. Makes it even more sick.

Overall I loved this show... I agree that the finale felt rushed and that they really didn't answer a lot of the riddles in a super satisfying way...

They had too many balls in the air and I feel like they left a lot of them hanging out there... but whatevs...

I didn't think there was a chance we'd get a season 2, and maybe we won't... but I feel like they could easily do one... it just would be very very different.

Maybe just call it "The Scarlett Witch" and continue the story without the TV stuff.

I binged the show this weekend. I enjoyed it. I had nothing spoiled for me and other than wondering what they were going to do with Fox X-Men Universe Pietro I had no theories. Though I figured his inclusion was more of a “wink” than anything greater. I figured he’d either be a construct or one of the residence that was made the think they were Pietro. Something manifested from Wanda’s subconscious. 

I got the impression Wanda didn’t control people directly. She could never sense any individual mind in the Hex. And yet she wanted to believe that somehow everyone in the town was safe and happy. She didn’t want to think about it, because she didn’t want to give up her happy life. But the Hex seems almost like a computer program that made changes based on her mood and emotional state, even though she could make very specific changes if she wanted using her powers normally. 

When the SWORD guys said she wasn’t broadcasting any more, I kind of chuckled, because I assumed they were still trying to find an analog signal being broadcast, but based on the Tv time period she was in the signal would have changed to digital. But maybe she made the change to stop the broadcast on her own. 

As tortured as the people closest in proximity to Wanda that were forced to live different personalities, it looked far more horrifying the further away you got. Those people frozen in place or just repeating the same small motion. Not only must that have been mentally painful to go through that, but physically agonizing. I really did wonder how the people closer to the edge of town didn’t starve to death, since they didn’t seem be given much in the way of roles. 

it would be interesting and horrifying to see an episode from the point of view of several of the residence. To see what they had to endure, and what the Hex out them through to create Wanda’s fantasy life. 

On 3/7/2021 at 5:37 AM, Remarkableriots said:
captain-marvel-2-kamala-khan.jpg?fit=204
WWW.DENOFGEEK.COM

Kamala Khan and Monica Rambeau will join Carol Danvers in Captain Marvel 2, which means big things for the future of the MCU.

Captain Marvel 2 is coming out in November. I guess I'm wondering if she'll be in Secret Invasion and then assuming Secret Invasion maybe comes out earlier in the year.

21 minutes ago, ort said:

Overall I loved this show... I agree that the finale felt rushed and that they really didn't answer a lot of the riddles in a super satisfying way...

They had too many balls in the air and I feel like they left a lot of them hanging out there... but whatevs...

I didn't think there was a chance we'd get a season 2, and maybe we won't... but I feel like they could easily do one... it just would be very very different.

Maybe just call it "The Scarlett Witch" and continue the story without the TV stuff.

How about a Vision series? They can call it Visionvision and half the episode count is spent with a mostly emotionless White Vision creating his Vision family and trying to be more human again.

standard_incredible.jpg

It's the only way this ever gets put on film or TV unless they decide to kill off Wanda.

Sounds like the finale feels rushed because it was rushed. I guess this probably also explains why the overall runtime of the show was so much shorter than anticipated, like with the rumor about the last three episodes being an hour each not panning out.

klfjslfkjsf.jpg
WWW.MURPHYSMULTIVERSE.COM

It’s crazy to think that WandaVision has officially come to an end. After its nine-episode run on Disney+, we are anxiously awaiting the next entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe with The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Yet, we still are looking back at the ending of the first entry in Marvel Studios’ venture into […]

The studio was originally planning on releasing the first three episodes simultaneously, which makes sense with the narrative arc they set-up. However, they only finished the finale around two weeks before its official release, which means they had faced a lot of crunch time. If they went with their original plan, they would’ve had to delay the finale.

It also seems that the engineer’s tease was 100% intended, but was getting worried when people suddenly expected Reed Richard to show up. A lot was left on the cutting room floor, so it may have originally had a bigger pay-off. They also confess that a lot of CGI edits were a bit awkward, as pointed out by Smith, as they had to finalize those post-lockdown. Monica was even originally going to have a bigger role in the finale, such as her, the kids, Ralph, and Darcy trying to steal the Darkhold from the basement. There we would find out that the bunny Scratchy was a demon. It was all filmed but they couldn’t finish the VFX for it.

There might be a lot more that got cut down. It is a shame to see their original vision get affected strongly by the ongoing pandemic. If they had the chance, I would hope they could add the missing sequences later in, as we saw with a correction in an episode of The Mandalorian. It explains why Darcy only had one line in the finale even though she was a major supporting character throughout the show.

• Shocked 1

The bit about how the first three episodes were supposed to drop as a trio premiere also makes a lot of sense for why you wound up with a lot of people complaining that it took too long to get to episode 4...the pacing got fucked by the release realities. I'm fine with how the pacing for 1-4 ultimately worked out, but they probably anticipated that there'd be a lot of whining about things moving too slowly and unclearly if they made people wait a second week to get answers.

The show didn't really pick up until episode 4 so the three episode simultaneous drop DOES make sense. Those first three episodes WERE a bit of a slog to get through especially the first two... I always tell people who are curious about the show to give it AT LEAST until episode four because folks who come into the show cold will be REALLY confused by the first two episodes.

Thinking about it more, I feel like the show has the MCU equivalent of a Zack Snyder problem, where the treatment of the in-show characters is entirely dependent upon there being an IRL audience that knows the characters better than they know themselves based on material that’s extraneous to this specific instance of them.

This Wanda accidentally roofied a whole town without realizing that’s what she was doing, refused to accept that’s what she was doing until absolutely forced to, attempted to double down at that point, only pivoted to freeing them when her “option” was letting the town go or letting an evil witch steal her powers, and created three people from scratch. This makes Rambeau’s line to Wanda in the finale, “they’ll never know what you sacrificed for them,” completely ludicrous. I don’t mean to downplay Wanda’s genuine affection for the family she created for herself, but gimmie a fucking break, Rambeau, she had a town of emotional support thralls.

And again, I know that this is kinda her thing in the comics, but I can’t help but feel it’s a little shitty that a female character’s emotions are just too hot to handle, too cold to hold, so her powers randomly go HAM. The MCU’s pre-Endgame Hulk has better emotional regulation than she does and he’s a frigging rage monster.

I didn’t feel any pacing issues with the first three to four episodes, but I binged them in an afternoon. I didn’t have them spread out over a month. 

I don’t know if the show needs a real life audience that knows the character better than they know themselves for this show. I barely know her. I know at one point she was Magneto’s daughter. I don’t know if that is still a thing. And I know at one time she wished all

mutants (or just their powers?) out of existence. 

But yeah, Monica’s line was dumb. Not only do they not know, they don’t care, because of what Wanda took from them for weeks. But unless she was trapped by somebody else’s powers, even if some asshole was making her do all of that without her realizing she did it, I doubt we’d escape Wanda’s emotional state being the catalyst.  

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I didn’t feel any pacing issues with the first three to four episodes, but I binged them in an afternoon. I didn’t have them spread out over a month. 

It wasn't a month, the fourth episode came out two weeks after the premiere, which was two episodes. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

the treatment of the in-show characters is entirely dependent upon there being an IRL audience that knows the characters better than they know themselves based on material that’s extraneous to this specific instance of them.

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

That... wasn’t my point.

so what was your point if IRL people who don’t know the character don’t have any issues with the treatment? 

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

That... wasn’t my point.

Then what was it? You said the treatment of the characters was dependent of the audience having prior knowledge of their characters. Your following two paragraphs didn’t really have a clear connection to the first. They seemed to be separate issues you had. 

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

This Wanda accidentally roofied a whole town without realizing that’s what she was doing, refused to accept that’s what she was doing until absolutely forced to, attempted to double down at that point, only pivoted to freeing them when her “option” was letting the town go or letting an evil witch steal her powers, and created three people from scratch. This makes Rambeau’s line to Wanda in the finale, “they’ll never know what you sacrificed for them,” completely ludicrous. I don’t mean to downplay Wanda’s genuine affection for the family she created for herself, but gimmie a fucking break, Rambeau, she had a town of emotional support thralls.

And again, I know that this is kinda her thing in the comics, but I can’t help but feel it’s a little shitty that a female character’s emotions are just too hot to handle, too cold to hold, so her powers randomly go HAM. The MCU’s pre-Endgame Hulk has better emotional regulation than she does and he’s a frigging rage monster.

Yeah, I don't think they really finished dealing with the reality of what Wanda imposed on everyone in that town. The battle with Agatha and the loss of her invented family took emotional precedence, so it was recognized, but not finished. Sure, sword dude probably deserved to get locked up, but it sure seems like the FBI would have at least feigned at taking Wanda in for kidnapping a town.

I think it's a casualty of the finale being a bit rushed. Too many story and emotional beats to get through.

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Then what was it? You said the treatment of the characters was dependent of the audience having prior knowledge of their characters. Your following two paragraphs didn’t really have a clear connection to the first. They seemed to be separate issues you had. 

I think the motivations of the characters is clear regardless of any outside knowledge, I don’t have a problem with that.

It’s the show’s portrayal of Wanda as a tragic protagonist at the end that rubs me the wrong way. Rambeau letting her off the hook with, “they’ll never know what’s you sacrificed,” and telling Wanda that she’d bring her mom back if she had Wanda’s powers is fucking ridiculous. Her saying she’d being her mom back if she had Wanda’s abilities, knowing what Wanda did to get Vision back is bananas. Wanda just coasts away, it’s as dumb as when Professor X asks Magneto to stick around and teach the children a day and a half after he was helping Apocalypse rip the earth to shreds... except even that disaster of a movie knows that Magneto is a villain.

Even if Wanda ends up being the villain in Multiverse of Madness (unlikely) it makes no fucking sense for Rambeau’s take post-hex to be, “man YOU’VE gone through a lot,” unless you know Wanda is supposed to be a good guy. Tragic origins are common amongst heroes and villains in comics, the difference is the outcomes and consequences. WandaVision letting Wanda coast is weird.

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Yeah, I don't think they really finished dealing with the reality of what Wanda imposed on everyone in that town. The battle with Agatha and the loss of her invented family took emotional precedence, so it was recognized, but not finished. Sure, sword dude probably deserved to get locked up, but it sure seems like the FBI would have at least feigned at taking Wanda in for kidnapping a town.

I think it's a casualty of the finale being a bit rushed. Too many story and emotional beats to get through.

Yeah, I mean this is it. We’re supposed to get psyched about SWORD guy being arrested after he was a bit of a dick while... attempting to free a town of thralls? And we’re also supposed to feel good about Wanda getting to fly away after freeing the town only when it became apparent that her options were to do that or to have her powers stolen and die?

I don’t think this show being rushed / the pandemic helped, but I think this problem is more baked into the concept of the show / character than could be fixed by runtime.

11 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

we’re also supposed to feel good about Wanda getting to fly away after freeing the town only when it became apparent that her options were to do that or to have her powers stolen and die?

those were not her only options though. She was able to defeat Agatha even with people still in the town. Letting the people go was her “redemption” moment. And yeah, treating her like any other tragic hero was not earned. It’s why the line makes you cringe so much. Had Wanda been manipulated or controlled into creating the Hex, where she too was a victim, then the ending makes more sense. The towns people might not know or care, seeing Wanda as the villain. 

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think the motivations of the characters is clear regardless of any outside knowledge, I don’t have a problem with that.

It’s the show’s portrayal of Wanda as a tragic protagonist at the end that rubs me the wrong way. Rambeau letting her off the hook with, “they’ll never know what’s you sacrificed,” and telling Wanda that she’d bring her mom back if she had Wanda’s powers is fucking ridiculous. Her saying she’d being her mom back if she had Wanda’s abilities, knowing what Wanda did to get Vision back is bananas. Wanda just coasts away, it’s as dumb as when Professor X asks Magneto to stick around and teach the children a day and a half after he was helping Apocalypse rip the earth to shreds... except even that disaster of a movie knows that Magneto is a villain.

Even if Wanda ends up being the villain in Multiverse of Madness (unlikely) it makes no fucking sense for Rambeau’s take post-hex to be, “man YOU’VE gone through a lot,” unless you know Wanda is supposed to be a good guy. Tragic origins are common amongst heroes and villains in comics, the difference is the outcomes and consequences. WandaVision letting Wanda coast is weird.

Yeah, I mean this is it. We’re supposed to get psyched about SWORD guy being arrested after he was a bit of a dick while... attempting to free a town of thralls? And we’re also supposed to feel good about Wanda getting to fly away?

I don’t think this show being rushed / the pandemic helped, but I think this problem is more baked into the concept of the show / character than could be fixed by runtime.

I don't know. I think a LOT of people, if they had the power, would choose to bring a loved one back. I don't really think that's all that controversial. Like if I had magic powers and could bring my dad back, I'd probably refuse if I knew it would also enslave hundreds, but it would be really hard. I'd be seriously toying with "maybe for just an hour".

Even then, this want really a case of the woman with emotions she can't control. The series is very clearly about the woman with powers she doesn't understand. She's dealing with some pretty harsh grief while holding onto growing powers she doesn't understand and thus can barely control.

The ending was also pretty ominous. I don't think we're supposed to feel about m good about Wanda flying off. There's a hundreds year old witch freaked out over the evil Wanda is playing with while screaming about how she's going to destroy the entire world. Then it ends with her secretly studying a book that witch literally calls the Book of the Damned while the far off voices of her vanished children scream for help. I don't think the ending was supposed to make anyone feel good about anything that just happened in regards to Wanda. Jimmy and Monica are the only ones that get happy endings here. Everyone else is miserable. Darcy missed out, but the writers already said this was a cut for time/pandemic thing.

33 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

those were not her only options though. She was able to defeat Agatha even with people still in the town. Letting the people go was her “redemption” moment. And yeah, treating her like any other tragic hero was not earned. It’s why the line makes you cringe so much. Had Wanda been manipulated or controlled into creating the Hex, where she too was a victim, then the ending makes more sense. The towns people might not know or care, seeing Wanda as the villain. 

Remember that Agatha was clearly manipulating Wanda into keeping things going just as Monica was starting to get through to her. It wouldn't shock me if something more fully showing the extent to which Wanda was being manipulated is some of that cut footage from the finale.

This in particular kind of makes me think that:

Monica was even originally going to have a bigger role in the finale, such as her, the kids, Ralph, and Darcy trying to steal the Darkhold from the basement. There we would find out that the bunny Scratchy was a demon. It was all filmed but they couldn’t finish the VFX for it.

• Shocked 1

Just now, Jason said:

Remember that Agatha was clearly manipulating Wanda into keeping things going just as Monica was starting to get through to her. It wouldn't shock me if something more fully showing the extent to which Wanda was being manipulated is some of that cut footage from the finale.

probably. But even without Agatha, any time Wanda was even slightly confronted with the truth of the people’s situation she fought against its very possibility. She rewound time when it suited her, to avoid dealing with the truth. It wasn’t all Agatha. 

23 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

probably. But even without Agatha, any time Wanda was even slightly confronted with the truth of the people’s situation she fought against its very possibility. She rewound time when it suited her, to avoid dealing with the truth. It wasn’t all Agatha. 

Yeah, Agatha was trying to wake Wanda up to share details on how her magic works. She was not trying to keep the illusion going. She didn't care if it did. She just wanted to talk to clear-headed Wanda. When that didn't work Agatha moved to using Pietro to pull the magical knowledge out of her. When that didn't work, Agatha moved to forcibly pull the knowledge out of Wanda by whatever means.

Honestly, Agatha really isn't a villain here. Even when she's trying to steal Wanda's powers she isn't really wrong to state Wanda has no idea what she's doing or what a risk she poses to the whole planet if she can't keep her powers in check. Hell, even her killing Sparky is just to see if that's what it'll wake Wanda from her haze.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Letting the people go was her “redemption” moment. And yeah, treating her like any other tragic hero was not earned. It’s why the line makes you cringe so much. Had Wanda been manipulated or controlled into creating the Hex, where she too was a victim, then the ending makes more sense. The towns people might not know or care, seeing Wanda as the villain. 

Yea, but again, this is the problem. A hero’s dilemma shouldn’t be, “do I set this town of slaves free... or just not do that.”

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

I don't know. I think a LOT of people, if they had the power, would choose to bring a loved one back. I don't really think that's all that controversial. Like if I had magic powers and could bring my dad back, I'd probably refuse if I knew it would also enslave hundreds, but it would be really hard. I'd be seriously toying with "maybe for just an hour".

A hero weighing the cost of personal sacrifice for the greater good and personal gain and deciding on the greater good is what makes them a hero. The point is that it costs THEM. So for Rambeau to say she’d bring her mom back with Wanda’s powers after being under Wanda’s spell and knowing what the town went through is just... lousy. If it didn’t cost a whole town of people their autonomy and the cost was personal, yeah, sure, let’s have the discussion.

I’m not saying it cost Wanda nothing... but again... town of slaves...

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Even then, this want really a case of the woman with emotions she can't control. The series is very clearly about the woman with powers she doesn't understand. She's dealing with some pretty harsh grief while holding onto growing powers she doesn't understand and thus can barely control.

This is pretty close to a distinction without a difference to me for Wanda specifically. The whole creation of the hex happened not because she couldn’t control her powers, she used them without even meaning to and then didn’t let herself remember what she did. The grief literally exploded out of her.

17 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Honestly, Agatha really isn't a villain here. Even when she's trying to steal Wanda's powers she isn't really wrong to state Wanda has no idea what she's doing or what a risk she poses to the whole planet if she can't keep her powers in check. Hell, even her killing Sparky is just to see if that's what it'll wake Wanda from her haze.

This is part of the issue. Agatha is clearly the show’s intended villain, you don’t record “Agatha All Along” and have her fate be “permanently cast” as the nosy neighbor without that being the intent. Honestly if Agatha isn’t the big bad of the show, it’s Wanda, and that’s obviously problematic.

9 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is part of the issue. Agatha is clearly the show’s intended villain, you don’t record “Agatha All Along” and have her fate be “permanently cast” as the nosy neighbor without that being the intent. Honestly if Agatha isn’t the big bad of the show, it’s Wanda, and that’s obviously problematic.

The series goes to great length to explain that Wanda has no idea what she is, how her powers work, or even how powerful she is. She's a human messing with powers FAR beyond her understanding. Agatha, the hundreds of years old vampire witch, is literally freaked out by Wanda showing so much disregard for the chaos magic she wields.

Either way, I don't see how it's problematic for Wanda to be the villain here. By the end, it's obvious Slshe was the villain all along. Monica tells everyone this pretty early into the series. She's the one that had innocents literally begging her for mercy or to, at the very least, have mercy on their kids after forcing ask the children in the town to be locked up as prisoners in they're own rooms.

The MCU has, for a long time now, told us that there's a pretty thin line between hero and villain. We had a while Civil War movie about this.

10 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I don't have time to go line by line but I do agree with the main thrust of your argument @Kal-El814. The more I think about it, the more weird it is how many characters were cool with Wanda's enslavement of a town.

Hopefully this gets fully addressed in future films or series.

I'm not sure we had a ton of people that were just cool with it. Wanda is pretty obviously in hiding at the end and nobody there had any possible chance of arresting her. Monica was very much in "fix this by being nice" nice mode since the beginning, so I don't even hold any of her comments against her even if they are tone deaf to everyone around. I don't think Monica or anyone there was up for doing anything to further antagonize Wanda.

wanda is definitely a villain in the show. agatha is also a villain. i would cut the sword/FBI people some slack not trying to arrest her immediately considering what just happened. gotta live to fight another day. doubt the MCU pretends this never happened if wanda is going to remain on earth doing stuff. 

3 hours ago, johnny said:

wanda is definitely a villain in the show. agatha is also a villain. i would cut the sword/FBI people some slack not trying to arrest her immediately considering what just happened. gotta live to fight another day. doubt the MCU pretends this never happened if wanda is going to remain on earth doing stuff. 

Agatha is only a villain to Wanda and maybe Pietro/Ralph. I mean, sure, she killed the fake dog and scared the fake kids, but she didn't actually attack or hurt anyone other than Wanda. Even then, it was only after she learned that Wanda was an out of control witch with no control over her huge amounts of power. Still, she didn't do anything to Wanda that Wanda hadn't done to everyone else in that town.

10 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Agatha is only a villain to Wanda and maybe Pietro/Ralph. I mean, sure, she killed the fake dog and scared the fake kids, but she didn't actually attack or hurt anyone other than Wanda. Even then, it was only after she learned that Wanda was an out of control witch with no control over her huge amounts of power. Still, she didn't do anything to Wanda that Wanda hadn't done to everyone else in that town.

she’s not actively a villain to others but she’s uh, definitely not going to use the chaos magic for good. 

I think people saying Wanda is the villain of the show are giving it way too much credit. This just isn’t how the MCU operates.

19 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The series goes to great length to explain that Wanda has no idea what she is, how her powers work, or even how powerful she is. She's a human messing with powers FAR beyond her understanding. Agatha, the hundreds of years old vampire witch, is literally freaked out by Wanda showing so much disregard for the chaos magic she wields.

Either way, I don't see how it's problematic for Wanda to be the villain here. By the end, it's obvious Slshe was the villain all along. Monica tells everyone this pretty early into the series. She's the one that had innocents literally begging her for mercy or to, at the very least, have mercy on their kids after forcing ask the children in the town to be locked up as prisoners in they're own rooms.

The MCU has, for a long time now, told us that there's a pretty thin line between hero and villain. We had a while Civil War movie about this.

Civil War isn’t about the line between heroes and villains. It’s about how an actual villain (Zemo) can exploit the relationships and different perspectives between heroes. At no point is either team in that movie portrayed as villainous, which is part of why I think it’s one of the weaker movies in the MCU to rewatch. As an excuse to have characters we like punch one another, it’s awesome. Beyond that... eh? Again, Iron Man fights his friends who don’t sign the accords at the same time he’s arming a teenager with a multimillion dollar battle suit and NOT having Pete sign the accords. It’s a mess.

But the MCU isn’t going to let “the villain” of WandaVision get put through an emotional meat grinder, tenderly depart from her children and boyfriend, punish Agatha, get a pat on the back from Rambeau on the way out, then fly away. The MCU doesn’t work like that.