PS5 Digital owners (or soon to be) let’s chat

maddux4163

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I like having games ready to go without swapping discs. Especially as I have different games I play with different friends. So if I see a buddy on a game I can quickly join in without having to find the game I want to play and change discs. My kids also have an Xbox in the play room that can access the entire library, even the same game at the same time. Would have to purchase two copies of the game to do that if physical.

Your preference (and mine as well!) is part of Sony's feature strategy, where you can hop from game to game near instantly, through a series of freeze states. Its very cool and the kind of feature that you don't technically need, but once you get use to it, you will not want to go back. Discs will be an obstacle to this new way, and Sony knows it. We're all be nudge toward the "right" way. :p

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Your preference (and mine as well!) is part of Sony's feature strategy, where you can hop from game to game near instantly, through a series of freeze states. Its very cool and the kind of feature that you don't technically need, but once you get use to it, you will not want to go back. Discs will be an obstacle to this new way, and Sony knows it. We're all be nudge toward the "right" way. :p

I’m excited for this gen. Why? For THIS reason. Loading times exponentially lower and game states saved like that. 

26 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Microsoft has also shown this feature of having like 5 or 6 games ready to instantly jump into from a freeze state.

It really is a huge reason I've gone digital.  Not having to switch disks is just something that one you get used to, you can't go back.  I have about 500+ titles all installed ready to go on my Xbox right now between 3 external drives.  I couldn't imagine having a bunch of those as physical titles.  

If I got one it would e a digital edition. I'm already all digital with the PS4 and Xbone and Switch and I had already started turning digital at the end of the 360 generation.

It's more convenient to get a game, to just pick a game and play. This gen they forced you to install a game to play the game which sounds like an even bigger hassle. Discs now are even more worthless than they ever have been. Plus I can't take anymore of the clutter of game boxes taking up space.

I'm not concerned with price because I hardly ever buy a game day one and if you have game pass price is really not an issue at all.

Nobody needs proof that I like physical media (if you do, see the retro forums). Yet with that said I pre-ordered the Digital Ed ps5 for many reasons.

1) the cost was far more palatable after tax $563 vs $712. That’s more than a game for me. Sure I can afford the difference but I have other things I want to buy. Hell at $712 I probably would hold off and buy at a later date as I have tons of other things to play anyways. I don’t need a ps5 but it’s part fomo, part I always get a new system at/near launch.

2) Psn doesn’t charge tax here on digital games. So they end up cheaper at launch.

3) I actually bought very few physical PS4 games, Like less than 10. Yet I do have access to quite a few digital games.

4) PSN has had great sales on games all the time. I’m actually seeing better deals on psn than retail half the time.

5) My game/retro collection is getting too big and I’m getting low on space so not having ps5 games around saves me space for something else I can’t get digitally.

Those are some of my reasons. :) When needing a ps5 with a drive comes, I will just sell my DE unit and buy the drive model but by then ps5 will be cheaper and probably a lot smaller too.

21 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Nobody needs proof that I like physical media (if you do, see the retro forums). Yet with that said I pre-ordered the Digital Ed ps5 for many reasons.

1) the cost was far more palatable after tax $563 vs $712. That’s more than a game for me. Sure I can afford the difference but I have other things I want to buy. Hell at $712 I probably would hold off and buy at a later date as I have tons of other things to play anyways. I don’t need a ps5 but it’s part fomo, part I always get a new system at/near launch.

2) Psn doesn’t charge tax here on digital games. So they end up cheaper at launch.

3) I actually bought very few physical PS4 games, Like less than 10. Yet I do have access to quite a few digital games.

4) PSN has had great sales on games all the time. I’m actually seeing better deals on psn than retail half the time.

5) My game/retro collection is getting too big and I’m getting low on space so not having ps5 games around saves me space for something else I can’t get digitally.

Those are some of my reasons. :) When needing a ps5 with a drive comes, I will just sell my DE unit and buy the drive model but by then ps5 will be cheaper and probably a lot smaller too.

We both had launch Vita’s 3G models as I recall 😂 you’re in Japan correct?

Despite my initial and fairly strong indifference, I still picked one up. At first I thought I was just a sucker for zeitgeist, which I totally am, but thinking more on it, I think it's just the part of me when I was a kid and never, EVER had a console at launch that gets to take control for these kinds of impulse purchases. The Switch was the first console I ever got the day it came out, I guess the PS5 will be the second. I can't say I'm completely thrilled by anything I've seen so far, I'm sure I'll enjoy Demon's Souls to some extent, but it always was my least favorite of the Souls games.

I guess the biggest thing I'm excited for I won't be playing at launch: The next God of War. I found the "first" game to be fantastic, and hope they can keep up that momentum while refining the few parts of combat/leveling that were a bit off. Was definitely one of the best games of the generation, and seeing it was out next year was probably what convinced me that I probably want a PS5 sooner than later, rather than waiting on a possible nebulous PC release in a few years.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Despite my initial and fairly strong indifference, I still picked one up. At first I thought I was just a sucker for zeitgeist, which I totally am, but thinking more on it, I think it's just the part of me when I was a kid and never, EVER had a console at launch that gets to take control for these kinds of impulse purchases. The Switch was the first console I ever got the day it came out, I guess the PS5 will be the second. I can't say I'm completely thrilled by anything I've seen so far, I'm sure I'll enjoy Demon's Souls to some extent, but it always was my least favorite of the Souls games.

I guess the biggest thing I'm excited for I won't be playing at launch: The next God of War. I found the "first" game to be fantastic, and hope they can keep up that momentum while refining the few parts of combat/leveling that were a bit off. Was definitely one of the best games of the generation, and seeing it was out next year was probably what convinced me that I probably want a PS5 sooner than later, rather than waiting on a possible nebulous PC release in a few years.

Call me crazy. GOW is overrated. Don’t get it twisted. It’s a fantastic game and was a blast to play. But it’s far down my all time list of games. With that said, I welcome the next installment. 

I am weird and found Fallout 4 to be better lmao 

But, no one can deny Sony exclusives and they’ve been killing it lately 

I mean, I can deny most of the other Sony exclusives. I picked up a PS4 for exclusives and was sorely disappointed for the most part, but GoW was different, loved that game. I found Fallout 4 to be tremendously terrible, like all Bethesda games, relying on a world to explore over actually fun game systems or anything, but I know a ton of people love them. But I certainly wasn't going to pick up an Xbox. I mean, at this point even Sony is starting to commit to putting their games on PC, so I'm not sure my PS5 pre-order is even a good idea, but if nothing else I'll get a kick out of the triggers as long as they're sturdy and reliable. I loved force feedback on our old momo steering wheel in racing games. Surprised it's taken so long for a console to adopt the concept.

8:05 if it doesn't link right. This shit was mind-blowing in 2004, the way it would fight you and partially turn on its own depending on the condition of your car/you hitting things, it was so goddamn cool. Hoping these triggers can replicate even a fraction of that.

12 hours ago, maddux4163 said:

We both had launch Vita’s 3G models as I recall 😂 you’re in Japan correct?

I'm in canada, I never was in japan (just import a lot). I did have a japanese launch vita but i'm pretty sure I didn't get a 3G (memory is a bit fuzzy on that one, plus I sold it to a coworker a few years back because I had too many vitas and needed to cut back some). :)

I used to feel the exact same way as the OP, but then I went all digital with my Switch and I'm not looking back. I'm at an age where the amount of time spent selling/trading in physical copies simply isn't worth it, and I'd rather pay for the convenience of getting games immediately and always having them playable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris- said:

I used to feel the exact same way as the OP, but then I went all digital with my Switch and I'm not looking back. I'm at an age where the amount of time spent selling/trading in physical copies simply isn't worth it, and I'd rather pay for the convenience of getting games immediately and always having them playable.

ya physical media is like going out and fucking a different ho every night which is fun when you are young but when you get older you just want your main bitch at home easily available at all times 

I’m not getting a PS5, but if there was a digital only version of the Xbox Series X to preorder on 9/22, I’d try for that. 

with the exception of Forza 5 I have been digital only since the Xbox One launch. And that was only because Forza 5 CE didn’t come digital. 

I have not missed discs. I have external storage, so plenty of space, I don’t have to delete a game, and have to wait to redownload if the urge to play something comes up. I buy games brand new and on sale. 

5 hours ago, Chris- said:

That’s the other part for me, beyond the sheer convenience, I just don’t financially need the $30 or whatever I could get from Amazon selling the game. Plus the hassle of actually listing it, then shipping it. And forget about trading anything to Gamestop. Plus PSN and XBL have pretty good sales frequently enough.

When I was a broke teenager and college student trading in games is how I afforded to keep gaming but I’m well beyond those days thankfully.

6 hours ago, Dodger said:

That’s the other part for me, beyond the sheer convenience, I just don’t financially need the $30 or whatever I could get from Amazon selling the game. Plus the hassle of actually listing it, then shipping it. And forget about trading anything to Gamestop. Plus PSN and XBL have pretty good sales frequently enough.

When I was a broke teenager and college student trading in games is how I afforded to keep gaming but I’m well beyond those days thankfully.

If you're lucky you can sell on amazon. They really make it a hassle now if you're not a store.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If you're lucky you can sell on amazon. They really make it a hassle now if you're not a store.

Oh I haven't done it in awhile. But I always see that as a primary reason to get physical, "I can resell my games!". The hassle just isn't worth whatever return to me. 

I vastly prefer digital especially for the Switch and PC but for Playstation I buy mostly physical for 2 reasons: hard drive space - it takes like 10 minutes to install from a disc and about 2 hours to download a game. Prices: physical is almost always cheaper for PS games, especially 2-6 months after release. The PS store has some very good deals but generally games don't go on sale until they're several years old.

I will never be in favor of all digital on consoles because distribution monopolies are very bad for consumers.

My wonderful wife snagged me a DE while I was away. Timing is great, i leave tomorrow for another run, and the commercial king salmon and halibut fishing will be done the first week of November. 

i have no interest in physical copies. I just got to watch Sony’s press conference. It was impressive, a lot of games I want to play.

• Like 1