Jump to content

Why have other streaming services not adopted Shudder's "TV" channels?


Recommended Posts

I subscribed to Shudder recently, and first off I cannot recommend it enough if you enjoy horror/thriller/suspense movies.  They have a really deep and well curated catalogue of great stuff, with some excellent original programming as well.

 

But perhaps the best thing about it is "Shudder TV", which is essentially just a few tabs of their interface where they are constantly streaming something.  This is an incredible feature, and lets you get sucked into a movie without the paralysis of choice that's so common to streaming.  I don't have cable anymore, so the ability to just have something playing that I can check out has been fantastic, and has lead to me watching a few things that I definitely wouldn't have otherwise.  Why haven't all streaming services done something similar?  I feel like it's a no-brainer, and I'm sure they could plug in their original content or elevate stuff that they want people to see when they boot it up. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I subscribed to Shudder recently, and first off I cannot recommend it enough if you enjoy horror/thriller/suspense movies.  They have a really deep and well curated catalogue of great stuff, with some excellent original programming as well.

 

But perhaps the best thing about it is "Shudder TV", which is essentially just a few tabs of their interface where they are constantly streaming something.  This is an incredible feature, and lets you get sucked into a movie without the paralysis of choice that's so common to streaming.  I don't have cable anymore, so the ability to just have something playing that I can check out has been fantastic, and has lead to me watching a few things that I definitely wouldn't have otherwise.  Why haven't all streaming services done something similar?  I feel like it's a no-brainer, and I'm sure they could plug in their original content or elevate stuff that they want people to see when they boot it up. 

Your blowing my fucking mind here man, can this been done on prime?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Your blowing my fucking mind here man, can this been done on prime?

 

I'm not sure, I've only been using the Shudder app.  I have a Roku TV and an Apple TV, and it's part of the app on both.  I haven't tried it through Prime, but I assume that it only shows up in the app.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They have Shudder on YoutubeTV but I don't know if it works like this.

How does work getting apps through YouTube TV? I have it, but every time I get a new app I just get it on its own through my Fire Stick. Is the app actually inside of the YouTube TV UI?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

How does work getting apps through YouTube TV? I have it, but every time I get a new app I just get it on its own through my Fire Stick. Is the app actually inside of the YouTube TV UI?

 

It's an additional subscription. Like $6 for shudder. I think it just shows up as a channel. (I'm not subscribed to anything so I can't tell you :p)

Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be an awesome feature for all the services to implement.

 

I think I am going on 6 years of more or less having cut the cord and there's still something about flipping channels and "finding" something to watch that makes me more likely to watch it than trying to pick it out of a list. Especially for movies, I almost never pick a movie to watch out of the lists anymore.

 

I wonder if that's something that will disappear with the current generation growing up with streaming and having no memory of a time when all you could do was channel surf.

 

Anyway, I remember a few years back I got a browser plug-in that added a randomize button to Netflix so you could go to a TV series, hit the button, and it would pick a random episode. Best for older, episodic shows. I would still use it, but my viewing habits mean I almost never stream with my PC anymore. Usually a console or Roku. Even that is a nice shake up to the content paralysis.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

This would be an awesome feature for all the services to implement.

 

I think I am going on 6 years of more or less having cut the cord and there's still something about flipping channels and "finding" something to watch that makes me more likely to watch it than trying to pick it out of a list. Especially for movies, I almost never pick a movie to watch out of the lists anymore.

 

I wonder if that's something that will disappear with the current generation growing up with streaming and having no memory of a time when all you could do was channel surf.

 

Anyway, I remember a few years back I got a browser plug-in that added a randomize button to Netflix so you could go to a TV series, hit the button, and it would pick a random episode. Best for older, episodic shows. I would still use it, but my viewing habits mean I almost never stream with my PC anymore. Usually a console or Roku. Even that is a nice shake up to the content paralysis.


It’s not really gone. YouTubeTV, DirecTV Now and Sling all have a guide feature where you can surf through what you want. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never understood why the HBO apps at the very least don’t have an option to stream whatever is playing on HBO at the moment. Getting to chose my own shit is fun, but I miss flipping through the channels late at night and finding some obscure movie that I hadn’t thought about in years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 10:36 AM, sexy_shapiro said:

I never understood why the HBO apps at the very least don’t have an option to stream whatever is playing on HBO at the moment. Getting to chose my own shit is fun, but I miss flipping through the channels late at night and finding some obscure movie that I hadn’t thought about in years.

I know whenever I access HBO via Amazon Prime or whatever that they do have that ability to stream what is currently playing on their myriad of channels at any given point & time.

 

As for the OP, I never really thought of how amazing a resource it is & the fact that no other services have enacted such a thing. Truly a shame & missed opportunity really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 10:36 AM, sexy_shapiro said:

I never understood why the HBO apps at the very least don’t have an option to stream whatever is playing on HBO at the moment. Getting to chose my own shit is fun, but I miss flipping through the channels late at night and finding some obscure movie that I hadn’t thought about in years.

 

You know what I don't get? Why the music gotta drown out the dialogue on HBO max :angry:

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

You know what I don't get? Why the music gotta drown out the dialogue on HBO max :angry:

 

What are you watching on? I find when I can't force stereo (so basically usually on my PS4 where that menu isn't always exposed in streaming apps) I can have issues with hard to hear dialogue and I assume it's an issue with defaulting to 5.1, only having stereo set up, and the 5.1->stereo downmix not happening or not happening properly. In 5.1, dialogue gets sent to the center channel, so you get this when whatever you're watching on doesn't adjust for your not having a center channel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SimpleG said:

I got to give a shout out to @ShreddieMercuryRising. I moved from streaming thru prime to the app. Not only does prime not allow you to watch the channels but it also shows maybe 60% of what's available .

Same goes with whenever Joe Bob's Last Drive In comes back on. Going through Shudder directly is a lot better!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Adult Swim has something like this. They have a streaming "channel" that just stream things in real time. Sometimes real shows or marathons of shows, sometimes goofball super low key stream only shows and who knows what else. I don't really watch it much, but it's a thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...