Monster Hunter Rise - Sunbreak Expansion Coming June 30, 2022

Keyser_Soze

On 3/12/2021 at 8:11 PM, Brick said:

No. Just no. 

I know you love Nintendo, and I do too, but the Switch can barely keep up with the Xbox One and PS4, and you're basically saying it's the same generation as Xbox Series X and PS5? 

Just no. Stop. No. 

Well, technically is the PS5/Series X joined the Switch’s generation. Generation = era of *when* hardware is released. Not what the hardware specs are. Dude, you knew that! C’mon now! :D 

Also, apparently Japan is really looking forward to this game!

wirebugthumb-1612042225933.jpg?width=128
WWW.IGN.COM

A Japanese company saw so many employees booking the day of Monster Hunter Rise's launch off of work that it's giving all its employees the day off instead.

4 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Well, technically is the PS5/Series X joined the Switch’s generation. Generation = era of *when* hardware is released. Not what the hardware specs are. Dude, you knew that! C’mon now! :D 

Also, apparently Japan is really looking forward to this game!

wirebugthumb-1612042225933.jpg?width=128
WWW.IGN.COM

A Japanese company saw so many employees booking the day of Monster Hunter Rise's launch off of work that it's giving all its employees the day off instead.

On Nintendo's side, the Wii U and Switch are different generations, but overall within the whole console ecosystem, they're the same generation. Wii U launched in the same generational window as the PS4 and Xbox One, but flopped in part because it was underpowered, so Nintendo did a do-over with the Switch which is also the same generation as the PS4 and Xbox One, and while still underpowered, it's portability features is helping it not to be a flop. Nintendo had two eighth generation consoles. The ninth generation is currently the PS5, Xbox Series, and then whatever the successor to the Switch is. 

29 minutes ago, Brick said:

On Nintendo's side, the Wii U and Switch are different generations, but overall within the whole console ecosystem, they're the same generation. Wii U launched in the same generational window as the PS4 and Xbox One, but flopped in part because it was underpowered, so Nintendo did a do-over with the Switch which is also the same generation as the PS4 and Xbox One, and while still underpowered, it's portability features is helping it not to be a flop. Nintendo had two eighth generation consoles. The ninth generation is currently the PS5, Xbox Series, and then whatever the successor to the Switch is. 

Look man, I get what you're saying, but if one thing fails and you make the next thing, that's the next generation. Whatever MS or Sony is doing has no impact on this being Nintendo's next generation after the Wii U. Time isn't a factor at all, really. 

• Like 1

The eighth generation of video game consoles began in 2012, and consists of four home video game consoles: the Wii U released in 2012, the PlayStation 4 family in 2013, the Xbox One family in 2013, and the Nintendo Switch in 2017.

35 minutes ago, Brick said:

On Nintendo's side, the Wii U and Switch are different generations, but overall within the whole console ecosystem, they're the same generation.

17 hours ago, Brick said:

Seventh. It launched alongside the 360 and PS3. 

Okay, but now I’m more confused. How is Wii in the same gen as 360/PS3, despite the power difference, but launching a year apart from 360?

Wii U is looped in with PS4/XBO but it launched a year’s difference from those and also had a big power difference.

But Switch is somehow not a new gen? 

Pfft. Whatever.

8 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Okay, but now I’m more confused. How is Wii in the same gen as 360/PS3, despite the power difference, but launching a year apart from 360?

Wii U is looped in with PS4/XBO but it launched a year’s difference from those and also had a big power difference.

Pfft. Whatever.

Imagine this: Sony and Microsoft brought their consoles out at the same time but Nintendo was LATE in bringing theirs out at the same time so they released a (at the time) current gen console a little over 3 years later.

Make sense?

42 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Pfft. Whatever.

Because it's not about power it's about launch times. The Wii, PS3, and 360 were one generation, even though the 360 was a year early than the other two, just like the Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox were the previous generation even with the PS2 launching a year earlier than the other two. The Wii U launched a year ahead of the PS4 and Xbone, but because it failed, Nintendo did a redo and launched the Switch. It's a new generation of Nintendo consoles, yes, but overall still the same generation when grouped with the other consoles. It's weird, and Nintendo certainly made it more confusing by launching a console mid cycle, but it's belongs in the same generation as the PS4 and Xbone. Had the Wii U not been underpowered, and say cost an extra hundred dollars, or maybe even two, to make specs better, and been marketed properly enough to sell better, Nintendo wouldn't have had to come out with a redo in order to stay relevant. 

It doesn't do anyone any good to keep thinking about these consoles in terms of "generations", at least as far as Nintendo is concerned. Playstation and Xbox have spent the last 20 years going head-to-head, releasing new, competing hardware on very similar cycles. Nintendo hasn't been playing that game since the Gamecube, and it's pointless to try to lump them in with the others. 

13 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I was replying to the person who literally mentioned me, but okay.

Uhhh... I'll let Capcom know? :s

But I'm kind of with you. I only played MHW like maybe halfway, to that water area, my friends refuse to play it with me, they are stuck on Destiny 2 but Monster Hunter is better. Oh well!

So what I'm saying is I still have MHW to finish. :p

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Uhhh... I'll let Capcom know? :s

But I'm kind of with you. I only played MHW like maybe halfway, to that water area, my friends refuse to play it with me, they are stuck on Destiny 2 but Monster Hunter is better. Oh well!

So what I'm saying is I still have MHW to finish. :p

Imagine not playing RISE

On 12/17/2020 at 8:42 AM, Slug said:

This is the first game I've pre-ordered in maybe 3 years.  Even though it doesn't meet my bar for pre-ordering a game, I just got too hyped for it.  Love me some MH.

How you enjoying it? I like it better than World. It has a nice mix. 

6 hours ago, Biggie said:

How you enjoying it? I like it better than World. It has a nice mix. 

So far so so good. I'm really enjoying it. It has a lot of the convenience/QoL improvements from World but has the feel of Gen which I loved. I dig the verticality of the zones. Wirebug feels good. So far the only thing I'm not really digging is the new mount mechanic; it feels clunky when you're riding. I'd prefer a traditional "ride/do damage/big finisher/down" setup, but you can't really pull off any sort of finisher unless you've got a second monster in the area. Other than that I'm having a blast. 

Oh and also the animation for the wyrmstake cannon on my GL makes it such a pain in the ass to hit; it's too long. But that's a minor gripe. I just have to be super careful when I pick my spots. 

1 minute ago, Slug said:

So far so so good. I'm really enjoying it. It has a lot of the convenience/QoL improvements from World but has the feel of Gen which I loved. I dig the verticality of the zones. Wirebug feels good. So far the only thing I'm not really digging is the new mount mechanic; it feels clunky when you're riding. I'd prefer a traditional "ride/do damage/big finisher/down" setup, but you can't really pull off any sort of finisher unless you've got a second monster in the area. Other than that I'm having a blast. 

Oh and also the animation for the wyrmstake cannon on my GL makes it such a pain in the ass to hit; it's too long. But that's a minor gripe. I just have to be super careful when I pick my spots. 

Only complaint so far for me is Rampage mode. Not a fan of tower defense. But everything else has been spot on and the gameplay loop is addicting as hell. I’m working on 3 star level village quests at the moment and I forged my first complete armor set yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Only complaint so far for me is Rampage mode. Not a fan of tower defense. But everything else has been spot on and the gameplay loop is addicting as hell. I’m working on 3 star level village quests at the moment and I forged my first complete armor set yesterday. 

I've not been a fan of most of the MH games' "event" fights.  I like the rampage/tower defense mode less than just regular hunts, but I like it more than the swimming water dragon thing from Tri or riding on the back of Zora Magdaros for a half hour.

On 3/24/2021 at 6:01 AM, GameDadGrant said:

Pfft. Whatever.

PS4, Wii U and XBO are in the same generation.  Switch (March 3, 2017) , PS4 Pro (November 2016) and Xbox One X (November 2017) would be a different generation. 3 years later the next generation started with PS5 and Series S/X. 

16 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

PS4, Wii U and XBO are in the same generation.  Switch (March 3, 2017) , PS4 Pro (November 2016) and Xbox One X (November 2017) would be a different generation. 3 years later the next generation started with PS5 and Series S/X. 

The Pro and One X aren't really next-gen systems though? They were just upgrades. Like, I don't think anyone thought the DSi was a next-gen handheld when it came out, for example. Or that the NEW 3DS was a next gen system and Vita was suddenly last-gen. 

Switch is a completely different system, not an iterative upgrade to the Wii U. 

Everyone has their own definitions of things so it doesn’t really matter in terms of what a generation is, but to me a generational leap bare minimum consists of a machine that has games that can no longer run on older hardware (realizing that there is some gray area there as well). 

I have never heard anyone consider the Pro and Series X to be a new generation lol. 

At some point I do not give a shit where people slot Nintendo’s stuff in.