Hogwarts Legacy (2022) - Information Thread, update: release postponed to 2022

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, DPCyric said:

Looks amazing but Rowling isn't getting a penny from me :/ If the developers read the room and stripped it of the IP and made it some generic fantasy game I would be down.

I feel like they are trying to take a step in that direction but not fully. Meaning that the game is trying to not associate with Harry Potter (it's not in the title) but still be adjacent.

I would have probably not gotten it either way and JK Rowling is just icing on the cake.

Rowling is terrible, but I'd be kidding myself to say I'm not excited for this.

Personally, I think the Harry Potter IP is far beyond the creator at this point. I don't see why the fans should have to give up their passion for the franchise because the creator is a bigot. Warner needs to do the right thing and find a way to buy out Rowling.

Yeah, if this game ends up being at least decent, I'll buy it. This looks like the game I've been dreaming of for 2 decades. While I don't love supporting JKR at this point, I don't know if that's a reason to boycott something like this game. I understand if someone else feels that way. This may be pessimistic on my part, but I figure whenever you buy something that involves this many people, you're probably supporting some shithead or another. Hopefully, the majority of people who spent years working on this game are not shitheads.

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Yeah, if this game ends up being at least decent, I'll buy it. This looks like the game I've been dreaming of for 2 decades. While I don't love supporting JKR at this point, I don't know if that's a reason to boycott something like this game. I understand if someone else feels that way. This may be pessimistic on my part, but I figure whenever you buy something that involves this many people, you're probably supporting some shithead or another. Hopefully, the majority of people who spent years working on this game are not shitheads.

I have a conflict of interest...but should one person's comments sully the work for 100 people (when that initial person wasn't involved in the project?). 

On 9/18/2020 at 11:43 AM, Bjomesphat said:

Rowling is terrible, but I'd be kidding myself to say I'm not excited for this.

Personally, I think the Harry Potter IP is far beyond the creator at this point. I don't see why the fans should have to give up their passion for the franchise because the creator is a bigot. Warner needs to do the right thing and find a way to buy out Rowling.

What is materially different about Warner buying the rights from Rowling vs her getting paid in increments over time?

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

What is materially different about Warner buying the rights from Rowling vs her getting paid in increments over time?

Well the sentiment is that she won't get any more money from future content. Sure if WB did the Disney thing of buying Lucasfilm, gave Rowling three billion dollars to fuck off, then any new movies, comics, games, etc. she wouldn't get any more money, and people wouldn't feel guilty of buying an experience to a property they love, but having to support a person whose politics are reprehensible to them. 

6 minutes ago, Brick said:

Well the sentiment is that she won't get any more money from future content. Sure if WB did the Disney thing of buying Lucasfilm, gave Rowling three billion dollars to fuck off, then any new movies, comics, games, etc. she wouldn't get any more money, and people wouldn't feel guilty of buying an experience to a property they love, but having to support a person whose politics are reprehensible to them. 

The buyout number would be based on the future value of the royalties she would be owed, so you’re demand either gets her paid in a lump sum up front via buyout or incrementally over time if she keeps the rights. That’s why I don’t see any real difference. But people are obviously free to spend however they wish,

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The buyout number would be based on the future value of the royalties she would be owed, so you’re demand either gets her paid in a lump sum up front via buyout or incrementally over time if she keeps the rights. That’s why I don’t see any real difference. But people are obviously free to spend however they wish,

Yeah but it would also mean that she's not involved in any future projects at all, so financially it might be no different (unless the Potterverse had a huge resurgence in popularity that made billions upon billions), but it would give people some peace of mind knowing that she isn't behind anything anymore, and hopefully other, more talented, more tolerant people can come in and do something creative with the property.

2 minutes ago, number305 said:

It is funny to see the mental gymnastics of people who say they won't give her a dime... But they really want this game so let's figure out how it's okay. 

I'm consistent. If I get the game at all, it'll be used.

I really want to complete my HP illustrated set as they release, but I'll wait to go used on them, too.

Another example of a creative work that was made by a terrible person, that then got bought out would be Minecraft. Notch is a complete shit head, but since Microsoft bought the IP no one has to worry about buying the game and enjoying it, but also supporting a garbage human being. I've never played it, but I'm sure there are people that would argue that the game improved since getting bought by Microsoft too. If WB were to just buy the IP from Rowling, perhaps the property would see more memorable, and entertaining adaptations, and less crap like the Fantastic Beasts movies. 

3 hours ago, Brick said:

Another example of a creative work that was made by a terrible person, that then got bought out would be Minecraft. Notch is a complete shit head, but since Microsoft bought the IP no one has to worry about buying the game and enjoying it, but also supporting a garbage human being. I've never played it, but I'm sure there are people that would argue that the game improved since getting bought by Microsoft too. If WB were to just buy the IP from Rowling, perhaps the property would see more memorable, and entertaining adaptations, and less crap like the Fantastic Beasts movies. 

He left after Microsoft bought the game and then they later removed references to him from the game.

• 3 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Hogwarts Legacy (2022) - Information Thread, update: release postponed to 2022
  • 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:
VfBSbwnPGJhkuow9SSfZFP-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The 25-year industry veteran had a side-gig as an anti-social justice YouTuber.

He's not actually the lead designer, apparently, but a producer of the game. He put LD in his LinkedIn profile. Either way, he's a shitty person.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

I just don’t get how “anti-social justice” people get invested in franchises like Star Wars and Harry Potter. Like... how badly do you have to miss the point?

They're usually not smart people to begin with, but they think they are. 

On 9/21/2020 at 7:45 PM, Brick said:

This is so disingenuous.

When you buy something like this out, you are buying out future profits based on the creators IP.They are being paid about what they would if they still owned, they are just getting it immediately. No matter what, that ip is definitely inexorably linked to the creator.

11 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I just don’t get how “anti-social justice” people get invested in franchises like Star Wars and Harry Potter. Like... how badly do you have to miss the point?

HP? Have you read through it lately?

Reeta Skeeter, a manly woman who can change shapes and spy on children.

Goblins with giant noses that run banks.

Slaves that love being slaves.

A main villain not "born of love" (his mother was raped.

I too love HP, but its problems are very, very evident.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 7:29 PM, BloodyHell said:

HP? Have you read through it lately?

Reeta Skeeter, a manly woman who can change shapes and spy on children.

Goblins with giant noses that run banks.

Slaves that love being slaves.

A main villain not "born of love" (his mother was raped.

I too love HP, but its problems are very, very evident.

It's his father who was raped, but your point stands. In fact, the whole "love potion" thing in HP is really creepy. Weasley's Wizard Wheezes sells rape juice to children. Not to mention the implications of polyjuice potion (at least when they used it in the last book, it was consensual, though Harry still felt very uncomfortable)

I don't put a lot of that stuff on "J.K. Rowling should have written that better," though. A lot of that comes down to the fact that fantasy worlds kind of break down when you get down to the every day life, nitty gritty level. Like in the HP world, you could make a polyjuice potion brothel where everyone is disguised as someone else. You could bring a hair from a jilted ex lover and pay a prostitute to disguise him/her/themselves as your ex and do whatever you want with them (and you know that would absolutely happen if it were real)

I don't think it was really intended for the audience to break the world down that way. Kind of like how there isn't a single mention of any kind of commerce in The Lord of the Rings. How do Elves pay their workers? "Sorry, I've been baking bread here for 3000 years, I'm going to need an extra $1/hour, Elrond, and go fuck yourself, I still haven't forgotten when you skimped out on that holiday party 1000 years ago." How does commerce work in the Shire? They don't have a central government outside the Mayor of Michel Delving and like the Master of Buckland, which were both primarily ceremonial roles. They also had a postmaster. But clearly, no one was minting coin or instituting a central banking policy. How do the Hobbits pay for beers at the Green Dragon? Is it all just free? Does the proprietor of the Green Dragon get barley donations and give it all away? Bilbo literally gave away all of his treasure from his adventure and never worked a day in his life. Was he just the landlord of Bagshot Row? Also, how do the Elves eat so well? There are no farms in Mirkwood or Lothlorien. You might assume that the only Elvish farms are all the way near the Grey Havens, do they just export food to all the other Elves? If Elves are getting foodstuffs from nearby human settlements, how are they paying for it? What are they producing?

I could go on. My point is, fantasy worlds generally aren't meant to be broken down like that.

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

It's his father who was raped, but your point stands. In fact, the whole "love potion" thing in HP is really creepy. Weasley's Wizard Wheezes sells rape juice to children. Not to mention the implications of polyjuice potion (at least when they used it in the last book, it was consensual, though Harry still felt very uncomfortable)

I don't put a lot of that stuff on "J.K. Rowling should have written that better," though. A lot of that comes down to the fact that fantasy worlds kind of break down when you get down to the every day life, nitty gritty level. Like in the HP world, you could make a polyjuice potion brothel where everyone is disguised as someone else. You could bring a hair from a jilted ex lover and pay a prostitute to disguise him/her/themselves as your ex and do whatever you want with them (and you know that would absolutely happen if it were real)

I don't think it was really intended for the audience to break the world down that way. Kind of like how there isn't a single mention of any kind of commerce in The Lord of the Rings. How do Elves pay their workers? "Sorry, I've been baking bread here for 3000 years, I'm going to need an extra $1/hour, Elrond, and go fuck yourself, I still haven't forgotten when you skimped out on that holiday party 1000 years ago." How does commerce work in the Shire? They don't have a central government outside the Mayor of Michel Delving and like the Master of Buckland, which were both primarily ceremonial roles. They also had a postmaster. But clearly, no one was minting coin or instituting a central banking policy. How do the Hobbits pay for beers at the Green Dragon? Is it all just free? Does the proprietor of the Green Dragon get barley donations and give it all away? Bilbo literally gave away all of his treasure from his adventure and never worked a day in his life. Was he just the landlord of Bagshot Row? Also, how do the Elves eat so well? There are no farms in Mirkwood or Lothlorien. You might assume that the only Elvish farms are all the way near the Grey Havens, do they just export food to all the other Elves? If Elves are getting foodstuffs from nearby human settlements, how are they paying for it? What are they producing?

I could go on. My point is, fantasy worlds generally aren't meant to be broken down like that.

I love this post