Super Mario 3D All Stars has leaked to the Internet and it appears all games are emulated

Bacon

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Well it's kinda hard to go further than that. You can't really plug a cartridge into a gamecube or a wii-u disc into a switch.

Hey man I’m not here to discuss the reasoning. He had made it sound like Nintendo BC is a given, when only two of their consoles have ever had it. 

It’s likely they change their game hardware format again at some point. As I said I would be surprised if they did it for their next console, but it’s certainly not a given. 

18 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Hey man I’m not here to discuss the reasoning. He had made it sound like Nintendo BC is a given, when only two of their consoles have ever had it.

Almost all their handhelds have it in their launch iterations.  They also went out of their way to put 4 GCN controller ports in the Wii.

I think it's fair to say that it'll probably be there in their next system.  Think of it as a handheld, if that's the easier way for you to come to terms with it.  They've done the backwards compatible cartridge thing several times in that space.

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Almost all their handhelds have it in their launch iterations.  They also went out of their way to put 4 GCN controller ports in the Wii.

I think it's fair to say that it'll probably be there in their next system.  Think of it as a handheld, if that's the easier way for you to come to terms with it.  They've done the backwards compatible cartridge thing several times in that space.

I think it’s safe to assume as well.

I hate how lazy this is so much but playing a bit of all three this morning it’s hard to be mad because it’s still great shit and Sunshine/Galaxy just look fantastic handheld and Mario 64 feels great and looks nice and sharp. Honestly if they could just patch in widescreen for Mario 64 I’ll just say fuck it and call it a win.

• 6 months later...
10 minutes ago, Jason said:

So did people wind up liking it? Best Buy has it for $50 and I know it goes away at the end of the month, trying to decide whether to pull the trigger.

It’s worth it because you can then play every main line Super Mario game all on one handheld besides Galaxy 2 (wtf Nintendo!), it’s a rip off but the games are super fun still and play well here.  

Of course, you can also emulate better versions of them in 4k60 etc if you have the means. But I like playing the official versions for whatever reason and it makes me actually play them instead of just checking it out.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

It’s worth it because you can then play every main line Super Mario game all on one handheld besides Galaxy 2 (wtf Nintendo!), it’s a rip off but the games are super fun still and play well here.  

Of course, you can also emulate better versions of them in 4k60 etc if you have the means. But I like playing the official versions for whatever reason and it makes me actually play them instead of just checking it out.

Does translating the stuff that required using the Wiimote as a pointer in Galaxy work well? The description of playing in handheld mode seems awkward. 

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

So did people wind up liking it? Best Buy has it for $50 and I know it goes away at the end of the month, trying to decide whether to pull the trigger.

I didn't buy it, but I don't like it. 

42 minutes ago, Jason said:

Does translating the stuff that required using the Wiimote as a pointer in Galaxy work well? The description of playing in handheld mode seems awkward. 

I’m playing through it, pretty far in, on a switch lite and it’s fine. I’m not sure if on the larger switch maybe it’s more of a reach. I like it better than the pointer and having to waggle for spin I’ll tell you that much. I hated that junk, little finger swipes is fine.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I loved it, and Mario Galaxy in HD is probably the best gaming experience that I had last year.  Super Mario 64 still feels pretty incredible to play and controls very well with both joy cons and the pro controller in my experience.  Despite not really believing its reputation over the years, Mario Sunshine is indeed the weakest and most bizarrely designed 3D game in the series.  Still pretty fun in places, but definitely not great overall.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Using joy cons feels incredibly close to the Wii-mote, with the occasional niggle of having to occasionally reset the pointer since it's not 1:1 like the Wii-mote was.  The pro controller also feels very good, though the motion of the pointer is a bit more finicky.  That being said, it is now the definitive version of the game, no question.