AMD has an announcement of an Announcement -- Big NAVI on Oct 28, Zen 3 on Oct 8

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

You're going to need more cores for upcoming games.  Most games released in the last 2 years benefit from 6+ cores.

Guess I am upgrading then. Did not know that. Ok my hobby speading needs to calm down a bit. I basically need new CPU/mobo/RAM.

RYzen-5-5600X-PassMark.png
VIDEOCARDZ.COM

It took many years, but an AMD processor has finally been able to beat Intel mainstream desktop processors in a single-threaded benchmark. AMD Ryzen 5 5600X claims the first place in CPU Mark The Ryzen 5 5600X is the upcoming Zen3 CPU featuring 6 cores and 12 threads. With a 200 MHz higher boost clock […]

On 10/20/2020 at 11:46 AM, Zaku3 said:

I am in. Would like benchmarks though. 

AMD-Radeon-6000-Big-Navi.jpg
VIDEOCARDZ.COM

Synthetic benchmark results of Radeon RX 6800XT graphics cards seem to be in the wild.  AMD Radeon RX 6800XT, a tale of 3DMark There are now three sources providing benchmark results of Radeon RX 6800 XT based on the UL 3DMark GPU testing software stack. AMD Radeon RX 6800XT is the Navi 21-based graphics card […]

Radeon-RX-6800XT-3DMark-IgorsLAB-2.png

All should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Synthetics don't always tell the story of what real world gaming performance will be either. These leaks are generating some excitement though. The Ray Tracing performance is as expected, just above the 2080Ti. The rasterization performance is well above my expectations if these hold up to real world scenarios.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Not too surprised they pulled ahead on traditional rasterization.  But it's most encouraging that they caught up to the 2080 TI in RT.  They'll still really need that DLSS alternative though.

Agreed, but let's just be excited that they actually seem to be coming to the table with a viable alternative this generation. It's been awful in the recent past. 

2 hours ago, Massdriver said:

RYzen-5-5600X-PassMark.png
VIDEOCARDZ.COM

It took many years, but an AMD processor has finally been able to beat Intel mainstream desktop processors in a single-threaded benchmark. AMD Ryzen 5 5600X claims the first place in CPU Mark The Ryzen 5 5600X is the upcoming Zen3 CPU featuring 6 cores and 12 threads...

Gonna have to camp Microcenter. 

• 2 weeks later...

newegg totally fucked up their launch of zen 3.  they said to use the app as it would be faster and people couldnt find them through search (same with their site) and could only be seen through their promotion page for them.  obviously by the time people got them in carts they were gone within minutes

1 minute ago, BlueAngel said:

Probably going with a 5800x in my next build, going from 4c/8t to a 6c/12t doesn't seem like a big upgrade to me so the 5600x is out, 8c/16t sounds much better.

The 5900x and 5950s are better options tbh. However yes get the 5800x if that is what you can find.

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

I got my Fedex confirmation for PS5 delivery tomorrow! :sun:

Wrong thread. But wooot.

God i really hope I can get a 6800XT. I dont want to pay 1300 for a GPU. Though I am so close I probably would do it. Just need my CPu which gets here friday and I want to change my RAM to 32GB of DDR4 3600 CL16.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

Wrong thread. But wooot.

God i really hope I can get a 6800XT. I dont want to pay 1300 for a GPU. Though I am so close I probably would do it. Just need my CPu which gets here friday and I want to change my RAM to 32GB of DDR4 3600 CL16.

THAT'S HOW EXCITED I AM! :lol::blush:

11 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Yeah my bad, don't know why I was thinking 5800x meant to say the 5900x I got the core counts confused as well.

I feel you. I want to go for the 5900/50x but those prices were too much.  Got the 5800x for like 710. I bought an AIO corsair water cooler so I am gonna OC it to high hell. First time doing water cooling so lets hot I don't have leaks.

34 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I feel you. I want to go for the 5900/50x but those prices were too much.  Got the 5800x for like 710. I bought an AIO corsair water cooler so I am gonna OC it to high hell. First time doing water cooling so lets hot I don't have leaks.

Honestly there's no need to overclock the CPU clockspeed.  The Turbo boost pretty much maxes out what the chip is capable of - and the the colder you get the chip the higher clocks it will automatically sustain.  280mm or 360mm water coolers are the best for keeping these chips cold.

You'll get more of a performance benefit from RAM and FCLCK frequency.  3600 CL16 is the sweet spot, and you'll want to make sure it's in dual rank configuration as opposed to single rank configuration.  What does rank mean?  If you're getting 8GB sticks, you'll want to get 4 of them to populate all memory slots (two sticks per memory channel) as most 8GB sticks are single rank, but putting 2 single rank sticks on the same memory channel will make it dual rank..  If you're getting 16GB sticks, most them are dual rank on a single stick so you'll only need 2, one per memory channel.

2 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Honestly there's no need to overclock the CPU clockspeed.  The Turbo boost pretty much maxes out what the chip is capable of - and the the colder you get the chip the higher clocks it will automatically sustain.  280mm or 360mm water coolers are the best for keeping these chips cold.

You'll get more of a performance benefit from RAM and FCLCK frequency.  3600 CL16 is the sweet spot, and you'll want to make sure it's in dual rank configuration as opposed to single rank configuration.  What does rank mean?  If you're getting 8GB sticks, you'll want to get 4 of them to populate all memory slots (two sticks per memory channel) as most 8GB sticks are single rank, but putting 2 single rank sticks on the same memory channel will make it dual rank..  If you're getting 16GB sticks, most them are dual rank on a single stick so you'll only need 2, one per memory channel.

I enjoy OCing it's fun lol. So i would have done it either way. 

But thanks for the advice on the RAM. Let me see what I can hunt down microcenter. I bought DDR4 4000 but rather bet at thebsweet spot. Some of the results showed slower perf with the 4000.

52 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I enjoy OCing it's fun lol. So i would have done it either way. 

But thanks for the advice on the RAM. Let me see what I can hunt down microcenter. I bought DDR4 4000 but rather bet at thebsweet spot. Some of the results showed slower perf with the 4000.

You'll get slower performance with 4000 if you decouple the FCLCK (Infinity Fabric clock speed).  The FCLCK runs at the same frequency of the real memory clock.  So DDR4-3600 means you need to run the FCLCK at 1800 MHz, because 3600 is the double-pumped effective speed while the memory is technically running at a real clock of 1800 MHz..  DD4-3800 would need the FCLCK at 1900 MHz, and DDR4-4000 needs the FCLCK at 2000 MHz.  But if you run the memory at 4000 MHz, and then set the FCLCK to, for example, 1800 MHz, then it will actually force the FCLCK to run at 900 MHz (half speed).  Problem with overclocking the FCLCK of this nature (stock frequency being 1600 MHz) is currently 2000 MHz is very hard for Ryzen processors to reach.  Ryzen 2 processors tap out at about 1900 MHz.  But you could get lucky and get a good chip that can hit 2000+ on the FCLCK, so if your DDR4 4000 is a good kit I'd keep it.  You could always run it at 3800 MHz and try to lower the timings.

edited to clarify double pumped CLK.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

You'll get slower performance with 4000 if you decouple the FCLCK (Infinity Fabric clock speed).  The FCLCK runs at half the frequency of the memory.  So DDR4-3600 means you need to run the FCLCK at 1800 MHz.  DD4-3800 would need the FCLCK at 1900 MHz, and DDR4-4000 needs the FCLCK at 2000 MHz.  Problem with overclocking the FCLCK of this nature (stock frequency being 1600 MHz) is currently 2000 MHz is very hard for Ryzen processors to reach.  Ryzen 2 processors tap out at about 1900 MHz.  But you could get lucky and get a good chip that can hit 2000+ on the FCLCK, so if your DDR4 4000 is a good kit I'd keep it.  You could always run it at 3800 MHz and try to lower the timings.

But it's only a 2x8GB. I think the 2x16GB would be better. It's also the same price. So I wouldn't have to pay more.