I'm Thinking of Ending Things - Charlie Kaufman's Netflix Film

TheLeon

1 minute ago, TheLeon said:

I’ll be interested to hear what you think. While I love some of the early movies he wrote (especially Adaptation), I have a really hard time with the ones he wrote/directed. 

I actually think Synecdoche, NY and Anomalisa are his most mature, most honest works. I love Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, and Eternal Sunshine more, but I think the former two are saying more and are "better" but the latter three are more entertaining and for slightly bigger mass consumption, since the works are easier and more straightforward to parse.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

In the past few years, I’ve accepted that while I’m adventurous enough to try more, uh, “challenging” cinema, my taste is generally mainstream. 

At least you know and you're honest about it! I know I'm on the fringes, and Kaufman is going more and more in that direction as he becomes older and even more sad/irate (rightfully so) at the world. Being John Malkovich almost looks nice and happy by comparison, and that had sad puppetry in it.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

One of us! One of us! 

:lol:

After watching Synechdoche boy did I miss those office hours with my psychology and visual arts professors to talk to them about it.  I love the blank page/sky's the limit aspect of Kaufman's writing style though and it makes me always look forward to checking out anything he makes, even if I won't be able to understand it, which is definitely where I'm at as of my most recent viewing of SNY. It's about time to revisit it, then see the stop motion one and this.

1 hour ago, heydude93 said:

After watching Synechdoche boy did I miss those office hours with my psychology and visual arts professors to talk to them about it.  I love the blank page/sky's the limit aspect of Kaufman's writing style though and it makes me always look forward to checking out anything he makes, even if I won't be able to understand it, which is definitely where I'm at as of my most recent viewing of SNY. It's about time to revisit it, then see the stop motion one and this.

Do it!  

7 hours ago, heydude93 said:

One thing I loved about Synechdoche was how gradual the escalation was and how well the movie taught you to understand it and prepared you to follow its further deviations into the metaphysical. This is also a worthwhile video series if you want to get into the minutiae of the movie.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Moa said:

One thing I loved about Synechdoche was how gradual the escalation was and how well the movie taught you to understand it and prepared you to follow its further deviations into the metaphysical. This is also a worthwhile video series if you want to get into the minutiae of the movie.

Yes, accurate on all points, I agree, and videos like those on Kaufman are so good, and illuminating. He writes such dense, such good stuff. I mean:

2 hours ago, Iculus said:

I have an irrational hatred for Being John Malkovich. I have no idea why. It's to the point that I can't stand Jonh Malkovich in anything. 

Do you not like nice things?! :p 

I should also mention, as people often forget, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, George Clooney's directorial debut, is a Charlie Kaufman solely written joint. His script was compromised and Kaufman doesn't speak much on the final product, only having said that "Clooney ran off with it" but despite whatever that's all about, the movie is quite good and definitely written by Kaufman.

50 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I should also mention, as people often forget, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, George Clooney's directorial debut, is a Charlie Kaufman solely written joint. His script was compromised and Kaufman doesn't speak much on the final product, only having said that "Clooney ran off with it" but despite whatever that's all about, the movie is quite good and definitely written by Kaufman.

It's a weird watch with Adaptation, considering both came out in the same year. I'm curious if anyone here has read i'm thinking about ending things, since apparently this movie is an adaptation as well. My impression based off the wikipedia article is that the movie was not particularly faithful, or I completely missed much of what was going on in the movie. I also have to read Kaufman's novel Antkind now.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

This scene was unique for Kaufman as it concisely summarizes the main point of the movie.

6 minutes ago, Moa said:

It's a weird watch with Adaptation, considering both came out in the same year. I'm curious if anyone here has read i'm thinking about ending things, since apparently this movie is an adaptation as well. My impression based off the wikipedia article is that the movie was not particularly faithful, or I completely missed much of what was going on in the movie. I also have to read Kaufman's novel Antkind now.

This scene was unique for Kaufman as it concisely summarizes the main point of the movie.

I have not read the book it is based on, unfortunately. But yeah, I love that scene, but it is rare for him to so concisely summarize something, but it was so well done and emotional. He probably had it for anyone who was getting lost by that point in the movie. :p 

• Haha 1

I haven't seen Anomalisa, but I've loved every other Kaufman project. Malkovich, Sunshine, and Synechdoche are masterpieces. I love trying to follow and keep ahead of Synechdoche only to eventually shut your mind off and just let it sweep you away.

However, after thinking about this movie for the past week, I don't think I enjoyed it at all, tbh. The premise is actually pretty straightforward, but I feel like parts to make it cohesive were stripped away to make it obtuse, because of..... reasons? I dunno, it just kind of felt pointless to make it more complex than it needed to be. I'm all for challenging films and making things more metaphorical and interpretive, but I just don't think there was that much here to necessitate that. The dinner scene was clearly the best part, and the whole film should have mostly centered around the family's interactions, imo. There was also a lot of pretentious monologues, that, like I said, felt pretentious.:p

• Thanks 1