Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time Remake - Information Thread, update: Ubisoft confirms that the game is "no longer targeting" an FY 2023 release

Brian

Like, people are saying: maybe this is good enough? WTF? This is fucking Prince of Persia. C'mon guys, this is some real BS. It's not like Muslims have a lot to rally around, how do you fuck up Prince of Persia?

If it really is an Indian studio making it, currently during India's attempt to create a Hindustan, I'm kind of not surprised, just saying.

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Why do my brown brethren keep getting shafted?!

Like, seriously. This looks like ASS. As a huge Prince of Persia fan, I'm fucking insulted. It's Ubisoft, so no surprise, but c'mon. All of us like Sands of Time. It's a classic. WTF is this bullshit? 

“It’s completely led by Ubisoft Pune and Mumbai,” says Production Director Sashi Menon. “The advantage of working in a company like Ubisoft is we have a lot of support from experts around the studio and that’s something we always leveraged upon. But the development is completely led from here.”

We pressed further if this visual approach is a result of a constraint in terms of budget or timelines, the usual culprits for games turning out the way they are. This does not seem to be the case.

“No it was not a problem of timeline or budget,” says Syed Abbas, Deputy Managing Director. “For us at Ubisoft quality is of the utmost importance and this is something that we have kept in mind from the start. The project has been in development for the last two and a half years. We have had at peak 170 members working on this project and not to mention other investments in infrastructure and set up to make a modern game. No there have not been any cutback in budget or timeline for the game.”

Ubisoft India saying all brown ain’t equal.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Welp, there it is. 

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

tnbCoQj.gif

Hahaha, I will say that I never minded the casting, only in the hopes that women believed all Persians looked like Jake Gyllenhaal. :p But yeah, you're right. I mean, the location's in the fucking title: Persia. Like, how do you mess up that casting? 

15 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Hahaha, I will say that I never minded the casting, only in the hopes that women believed all Persians looked like Jake Gyllenhaal. :p But yeah, you're right. I mean, the location's in the fucking title: Persia. Like, how do you mess up that casting? 

Almost as spot on as the casting for this movie!

spacer.png

On 9/13/2020 at 12:26 AM, Greatoneshere said:

This is what happens when you put a bunch of Indian Hindus (if that's the case) in charge of a game whose characters are of a race/ethnicity and religion that most Indian Hindus fucking hate . . . 

Wait you mean Ubisoft, which is probably made up of mostly White people, gave this game to a group of people without really understanding the cultural, and historical relationships between two different ethnicities? No I don't believe you, that could never ever happen. Their games are designed, developed, and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs! :silly:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Brick said:

Wait you mean Ubisoft, which is probably made up of mostly White people, gave this game to a group of people without really understanding the cultural, and historical relationships between two different ethnicities? No I don't believe you, that could never ever happen. They're games are designed, developed, and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs! :silly:

Ubi's response: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47lr59lempmw4arubyw8

17 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is what happens when you put a bunch of Indian Hindus (if that's the case) in charge of a game whose characters are of a race/ethnicity and religion that most Indian Hindus fucking hate . . . 

I do want to point out that one of the UbiSoft Pune executives quoted in the article is Syed Abbas and "Abbas" is typically an Islamic name.  He also seems to speak Urdu and Farsi which leads me to believe he might be from Pakistan originally.

1 minute ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I do want to point out that one of the UbiSoft Pune executives quoted in the article is Syed Abbas and "Abbas" is typically an Islamic name.  He also seems to speak Urdu and Farsi which leads me to believe he might be from Pakistan originally.

I did see that and I do believe he's Muslim, but one guy doesn't make me feel much better about it since in India the amount of pressure to do things the way Hindus want to do it must seem pretty insurmountable presently. I'm speculating, but yeah. India has the second largest population of Muslims in the world I believe, yet they are a significant minority to the billion plus Hindus also living there (I know you know this, I'm just putting this out there generally). :p 

The whole "dirty Prince" thing is doubly funny since, as a Persian, I can tell you, that Persian men are very big on self care, culturally speaking. So, like, a dirty, unwashed Persian? Sounds like a Hindu's wet dream, I'm just saying . . . 

Like, this is what my Persian friends look like (stock image below), overwhelmingly (of course, poor/uneducated Persians don't look like this, but we're talking about the fucking Prince).

3b272c84998bdab9e95e3c9405762c33.jpg

I'm just saying, the Prince is supposed to be the Persian who fucks

tenor.gif

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So you're saying they should have modeled the Prince after you?

I mean . . . I'm not saying it . . . :p 

3 hours ago, Brick said:

At the very least give him the lead role next time they want to make a movie. 

Hahaha, but would I be more attractive than Jake Gilly? Probably not possible. :p 

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He'd be too picky about the 5 writers, best boy grip and catering service to ever pass the audition. :p

This is very true. :lol:

Ngl I kinda prefer the look of the environments in the remake, so that much holds up at least. However, in addition to changing the 90's numetal bass player aesthetic of remake Prince to Greatone's to help usher in a 20-kingdom harim's worth of new female, gay and bi PoP fans, I think the character models in that trailer definitely should've leaned more into intentional abstraction, magical realism and etherealness to better convey the emotions the original was going for!  If that was ever the intention, the mark has been missed quite a bit.

Games like this and Bluepoint's SOTC and Demon's Souls are proof of how often remakes can be hit or miss and sometimes (especially with SOTC) exceptionally difficult to be as satisfying across the board. I wish there was more concern about classics ending up stuck on older hardware in favor of the so-called new and improved editions than there currently is.  This is why there should probably be an industry standard of having HD upgraded ports of the originals included every time. If the remakes are trash, or even if good, there should still be an option to replay the originals!

On 9/12/2020 at 11:36 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Almost as spot on as the casting for this movie!

spacer.png

:lol:

To their credit,  one good thing Ubisoft can say in defense of themselves is at least they came closer to doing ancient Egypt justice in AC:O than almost every representation of it in visual media. 

Shit like GoE and Ridley Scott's Ten Commandments were still being made not even ten years ago :lol:

• Haha 1