Archer S14 - The Final Season

Spork3245

I thought the first dream season was alright in content, but I have never been a fan of the noir stuff.

Danger Island was a ton of fun. Indiana Jones meets Archer is a formula that really gels and the content was really good.

Archer in space was a tiny bit of a disappointment to me. Out of all the settings, it was the one most inately interesting to me, being a big sci-fi nerd. But the setting didn't gel great with the characters and the season was a bit too meandering. Still like it more than Dreamland, though.

I fell off of Archer and Always Sunny a few years back. Not really even sure why, since I always loved both shows. Guess quarantine is a good excuse to get caught up...now I just have to figure out where I was in these shows, I think I've long-since deleted the last episodes of them that I downloaded.

2 hours ago, ort said:

I also stopped watching this, before the coma stuff I guess.

It's weird, because I did really like it, but I just kinda stopped.

I do this with games too, I'll be enjoying it and then abruptly stop for whatever reason (usually something going on in my life that just eats up my attention), and then it's hard to get myself to go through the "getting back into it" phase.

On 9/4/2020 at 5:50 PM, Chairslinger said:

I thought the first dream season was alright in content, but I have never been a fan of the noir stuff.

Danger Island was a ton of fun. Indiana Jones meets Archer is a formula that really gels and the content was really good.

Archer in space was a tiny bit of a disappointment to me. Out of all the settings, it was the one most inately interesting to me, being a big sci-fi nerd. But the setting didn't gel great with the characters and the season was a bit too meandering. Still like it more than Dreamland, though.

This. Archer is still very funny, but the three coma seasons definitely varied in quality, with Danger Island being the best, Archer 1999 having some great episodes and some real weak ones, and then the Hollywood noir first coma season was meh.

This new season dealing with the passing of three years and no Archer influence looks great.

On 9/5/2020 at 12:26 PM, Jason said:

I fell off of Archer and Always Sunny a few years back. Not really even sure why, since I always loved both shows. Guess quarantine is a good excuse to get caught up...now I just have to figure out where I was in these shows, I think I've long-since deleted the last episodes of them that I downloaded.

Both shows, particularly It's Always Sunny, are better than ever.

• 2 weeks later...

"Oh Woodhouse what I wouldn't give to force feed you gravel one last time." :lol:

Just fyi if anyone is wondering, I checked on the episode count and unfortunately the return to the real world does not get a corresponding return to a 13 or even 10 episode season. It's still just 8 like the dream seasons.

But I agree, the first two episodes have been solid.

• 11 months later...
On 9/20/2020 at 9:52 PM, Chairslinger said:

Oh wow, I didn't realize it had already premiered, and it's on Hulu, and there's already two episodes up! 

Sploosh:dancing:

One year later and exact same thing happened.

Just saw a commercial for Archer and realized two episodes are already up on Hulu.

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Anyone else been watching? I just got started, just finished episode 1. Four episodes are out so far. It was a solid first episode, some good lines, I laughed a solid bit. I hear the season only gets better.

The later episodes have definitely been funnier but there's an awful lot of retread humor. Cyril is back to being a candy obsessed pushover, Pam and Cheryl are pretending to be British again, Archer doesn't give a shit about AJ, etc.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

The later episodes have definitely been funnier but there's an awful lot of retread humor. Cyril is back to being a candy obsessed pushover, Pam and Cheryl are pretending to be British again, Archer doesn't give a shit about AJ, etc.

Well some of that is to be expected at this point but sounds about right. I do think it's time for the show to wrap up and close out as strong as it an at this point. Maybe next season will be the last, especially with no more Jessica Walter.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well some of that is to be expected at this point but sounds about right. I do think it's time for the show to wrap up and close out as strong as it an at this point. Maybe next season will be the last, especially with no more Jessica Walter.

Yeah. This is a weird thing to notice, but they haven't done a credit tribute to her or anything? I guess they're waiting until her last appearance or something?

8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Woodhouse is still dead and not doing any work.

Typical, lazy Woodhouse.....

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about others but last week's flashback episode was quite good. Too many callbacks inserted into one "first mission" flashback, but otherwise I enjoyed getting into some character development again. Also, the show has been renewed for a season 13. Someone should probably update the thread title indicating we're discussing season 12 as it airs now, not season 11.

archer-social-feature.jpg
COLLIDER.COM

FXX has renewed its beloved animated spy series Archer for a 13th season.

• Kal-El814 changed the title to Archer S12 - no more coma

So that was a weird end to a weird season. I assume they made it before they knew if they were going to be renewed for Season 13?

Also despite the episode being kinda weird (Beta Cuckington aside), that was a surprisingly sweet way to send off Mallory. Having her there with the character her husband voiced was genuinely really nice.

I really enjoyed the season finale. Very surprised by the season 13 renewal, but I felt this season was pretty good overall. Not amazing or anything but it' skind of crazy I've lived with this show since 2009. I was 23 and I'm 35 now. The fact the show is still even this good is a testament to the structure, plot, character archetypes and voice cast of this show. I wish more fans still watched, the show is better now that we're back in the real world since the stakes are higher again and the drama more palpable. This season had issues and I think the loss of Jessica Walters will be a problem next season given how integral that character is to the show but my wife and I will definitely be watching next season to see how things continue to shake out.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I finally binged what was out this season (the first three episodes) and while it isn't peak Archer, there's a lot of great quotes and lines and the animation has never been better. Some of the action scenes now are fun to watch as action scenes. Adam Reed is still voicing Ray Gillette and he was prominent in the first two episodes so I guess he approves? It's still one of the funnier adult animated shows out there to me, but they should find a way to close this show out rather than drag it out forever. I'd love to see this team do something new.

Also can someone update the OP title to reflect this is now season 13? Still no more coma. :p 

• Jason changed the title to Archer S13 - still no more coma
38 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I finally binged what was out this season (the first three episodes) and while it isn't peak Archer, there's a lot of great quotes and lines and the animation has never been better. Some of the action scenes now are fun to watch as action scenes. Adam Reed is still voicing Ray Gillette and he was prominent in the first two episodes so I guess he approves? It's still one of the funnier adult animated shows out there to me, but they should find a way to close this show out rather than drag it out forever. I'd love to see this team do something new.

Also can someone update the OP title to reflect this is now season 13? Still no more coma. :p 

:batting:

• Hugs 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think anyone other than maybe @silentbob is watching, but last night's heist episode was genuinely, really funny. AV Club even gave the episode an A. I think late Archer can be really good from time to time and still funnier than most adult animated comedies out there even if it isn't peak Adam Reed Archer (who must still approve of the scripts given Ray has plenty of dialogue in most episodes still). The cast's chemistry is just nigh unbeatable. The bank security guard who doesn't care about protecting the bank is a solid bit in itself.

• 3 weeks later...

I do believe I'm the last man standing but last week's season finale could have, again, worked as a series finale if re-jiggered a bit. This is the first time the show has not been renewed for another season (which would beseason 14) which I think means they should greenlight one more season and make it the final season. Making Lana the head of the agency makes all the sense given her usual straight woman status in the show.

I'm watching it, I just don't have much to say.

The show still makes me chuckle, but it's suffering from Simpsons syndrome; it used to be a parody of spy schtick, then it pivoted to other genres, now it's just lampooning itself. Lots of people have regressed back to their early season selves. Archer doesn't have a disability anymore, Cyril is an insecure wimp again, Pam is in love (this is fine of course, but she hasn't been insecure about being worthy of love since season 1). The bait and switch with Ray's loyalty didn't work at all. Archer in therapy could have been interesting but ultimately kinda fizzled. Etc.

I get that not every episode can be Stage 2, but it's still a shadow of itself.

• True 1