The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

Two more bits of news on SSD I/O:

This process has already begun for DirectStorage and we’re working with our industry partners right now to finish designing/building the API and its supporting components. We’re targeting getting a development preview of DirectStorage into the hands of game developers next year.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-is-coming-to-pc/

"Hi. RTX IO is supported on all GeForce RTX Turing and NVIDIA Ampere-architecture GPUs."  -

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-io-gpu-accelerated-storage-technology/

6 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

i like evga cards but ugh they adding ugly ass rgb stuff to their cards lol

Embrace the RGB. 

That is probably my biggest regret with my tower. It is this 250USD Corsair monstrosity. I love the space but it's hard to see RGB lights with no glass panel. Still I'd rather not change it unless it breaks.

I think I'm gonna go 3080. That should last me a long while.

Y'all going with the 3090 are nuts. Double the price, but not performance. To each his own, I guess.

I'm just really skeptical I'll be able to order one any time soon. Sounds like stock is going to be awful. I really wanted one by the time AC Valhalla and Cyberpunk come out.

10 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I think I'm gonna go 3080. That should last me a long while.

Y'all going with the 3090 are nuts. Double the price, but not performance. To each his own, I guess.

I'm just really skeptical I'll be able to order one any time soon. Sounds like stock is going to be awful. I really wanted one by the time AC Valhalla and Cyberpunk come out.

Yolo! 

And right now cash flow is good. If we didn't have the incentives at work right now I wouldn't really consider it. 

• Like 1

In other related news, NVIDIA is adding a dynamic resolution option to DLSS for developers:

Dynamic resolution support. The input buffer can change dimensions from frame to frame while the output size remains fixed. If the rendering engine supports dynamic resolution, DLSS can be used to perform the required upscale to the display resolution.

https://news.developer.nvidia.com/new-features-to-dlss-coming-to-nvidia-rtx-unreal-engine-4-branch/

55 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Alright, this is killing me and I’m weak. What do you guys think I could get for my 2080 Ti? 
Do you think the 10gb VRAM of the 3080 could hurt it compared to the 12gb in the 2080 Ti?

You will only score sub 600.00 offers on your 2080ti as everyone is doing the same thing and the market for sales will be flooded over the next few months. As for the VRAM, I doubt it will be the issue people are making it out to be. 

28 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

You will only score sub 600.00 offers on your 2080ti as everyone is doing the same thing and the market for sales will be flooded over the next few months. As for the VRAM, I doubt it will be the issue people are making it out to be. 

$500-600 is more-or-less what I was hoping for

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Two more bits of news on SSD I/O:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-is-coming-to-pc/

"Hi. RTX IO is supported on all GeForce RTX Turing and NVIDIA Ampere-architecture GPUs."  -

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-io-gpu-accelerated-storage-technology/

Some key points:

GeForce RTX GPUs are capable of decompression performance beyond the limits of even Gen4 SSDs, offloading dozens of CPU cores’ worth of work to deliver maximum overall system performance for next generation games.

improving I/O performance by a factor of 2.

Quick Recap:

SSD-Speed-SATA-vs-PCIe-Gen3-vs-PCIe-Gen4

Theoretically, when developers start applying this tech, a 5 GB/s nVME 4.0 drive + RTX GPU card could get you around PS5 speeds.  A few potential caveats:

• Some of the GPU load will go towards decompression.
  • This is an accelerator for data sent to the GPU, not necessarily data sent to system memory.
  • Fewer lanes on most PC SSDs.

All and all, this is excellent news. Bodes well for future tittles taking larger leaps forward.