The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

I really don't think I can justify a 3090, but I think a 3080 will be a worthwhile upgrade to my 2080 Super. Still, I want to see benchmarks first.

Also, I'm interested in the nVidia broadcast studio app, mostly for the voice part. I've been using the RTX voice app they launched a while back, and it really does a great job of cutting out background noise both from what I'm transmitting and what I'm receiving. Unfortunately, it's buggy as hell and hasn't been getting updates. I have to restart it almost every time I use my mic, or all I do is broadcast static. Hopefully that kind of thing will be fixed. 

So Nvidia's been toying with the SSD -> GPU direct idea for a while.  I'm assuming this comes in addition to the DirectStorage API Microsoft developed:

With-GPUDirect-A-696x594.jpgWithout-GPUDirect-A-696x594.jpg

https://blocksandfiles.com/2019/11/19/nvidia-gpu-direct-magnum-io/

It's a different approach than PS5, which does decompression before data hits either the CPU/GPU.  NVIDIA's idea meanwhile is to offload some decompression to the GPU instead of the CPU, and letting it pull directly from the SSD.

PC can brute force things now more efficiently than just stacking more RAM onto the problem.  The only question is how that decompression impacts the GPU, and what block handles it.

26 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

With a 2080 Ti, I’m torn on what to do here. Given the price/performance of the 3070 I don’t think I could sell my 2080 Ti for much, and then there’s the thought of “should I just wait for a 3080 Ti” in the back of my mind. 

Exactly where my head is too. So is the 3080Ti still a possibility here? I love my Rig now, I knew the highend would be a monster, but this WOW! with there still being talk about a possible 3080Ti and a 3090Ti? Fuck ME! Wouldn't my complete rig bottleneck this beast? i7 9700k, 32gigs ddr4 3200mhz ? God this shit is exciting but the cost and the availability will be harsh. Next year for Christmas maybe  I'll get a 3090 / 3080Ti and be good for the next 4 years no matter what.

OK, a few things I picked up from the current Reddit AMA with Nvidia:

1.) No pre-orders for FE cards, first come, frst served on each cards respective launch days (3080 17 of Sept, 3090 24th of Sept)

2.)12 pin power adapter will be provided

3.) AIBs may be same day or very close to FE sales

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/iko4ir/geforce_rtx_30series_ampere_information_megathread/

33 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

It seems like it may be tough for AMD to compete with Big Navi. I'd be upgrading from a 1080 and the 3080 at $700 seems like a pretty good deal.

yea it does, it's a gr8 time to upgrade form the 10series! makes my card look like a chump. I knew this going in, but DAMN! I just bought this card {2080Ti} I need to just be happy to have what I have and move on, this is blowing my mind. Also, having lost everything in the world to the camp fire, at least going on from here I'll have a great GPU to throw in and test stuff, troubleshoot, etc. 

Interesting to DLSS 2.0 gain much better support than v1. With Cyberpunk, COD:BLOPS-Cold War (Jesus Christ, get a better name!), Fortenight, Watch Dogs 3, Minecraft, and WOW, and more on the way, it would seem Nvidia has finely made the hurdle to incorporating it low enough to make it worth developer's time. 

43 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, a few things I picked up from the current Reddit AMA with Nvidia:

1.) No pre-orders for FE cards, first come, frst served on each cards respective launch days (3080 17 of Sept, 3090 24th of Sept)

2.)12 pin power adapter will be provided

3.) AIBs may be same day or very close to FE sales

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/iko4ir/geforce_rtx_30series_ampere_information_megathread/

I think that applies more if you order directly from nvidia. My current game plan is see if microcenter offers preorders. If they do I will preorder the 3080 and sit it on it. If I can get a 3090 preorder I will go with that one.

The 3080 looks like a good upgrade from my 5700XT but I feel the 3090 is more of the ideal upgrade. My ultrawide monitor is almost 4k in terms of the pixel count. I can in the far future upgrade to a ultrawide 4k monitor. Plus my TV is 12ish years old and the speakers in it are dying and I have picture quality issues so I am probably gonna upgrade. It's a super expensive card but if I can get 4k 60+ FPS for the next 3 some odd years that be epic.

8 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I think that applies more if you order directly from nvidia. My current game plan is see if microcenter offers preorders. If they do I will preorder the 3080 and sit it on it. If I can get a 3090 preorder I will go with that one.

The 3080 looks like a good upgrade from my 5700XT but I feel the 3090 is more of the ideal upgrade. My ultrawide monitor is almost 4k in terms of the pixel count. I can in the far future upgrade to a ultrawide 4k monitor. Plus my TV is 12ish years old and the speakers in it are dying and I have picture quality issues so I am probably gonna upgrade. It's a super expensive card but if I can get 4k 60+ FPS for the next 3 some odd years that be epic.

Yup, that only applies to FE's purchased through Nvidia!