The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s not that they are canceling these it’s just that they canceled mine particularly because i used an expired CC on accident, I’m sure they just sold the one I would have gotten by now :(

So does this mean if I secure 2 3090s next week, I should look you up and see if you want back in? :devil:

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

So does this mean if I secure 2 3090s next week, I should look you up and see if you want back in? :devil:

Since i secured the 3080. I am out of the 3090 race. This was stressful and so disappointing. I don't even feel joy over the preorder. The 3090 launch is probably gonna be worse.

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

Since i secured the 3080. I am out of the 3090 race. This was stressful and so disappointing. I don't even feel joy over the preorder. The 3090 launch is probably gonna be worse.

You are almost certainly correct about that! That said, I don't really "need" a 3xxx series card until early 2021, provided Cyberpunk performs solidly. Sooo, I've decided that I'll expect nothing on launch day and keep trying to score one before Christmas. 

26 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Big Cinema's bro was actually able to order a 3080 yesterday, though! :p 

I also ordered one.

But I've taken the unconventional approach of ordering it via the order of an entire computer that has one :p 

We'll see if that strategy actually works out.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, legend said:

I also ordered one.

But I've taken the unconventional approach of ordering it via the order of an entire computer that has one :p 

We'll see if that strategy actually works out.

I request an "unboxing" video where we watch you remove the card and throw the rest away! :sun:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I request an "unboxing" video where we watch you remove the card and throw the rest away! :sun:

:lol: I do actually need the rest of the PC too because my current one would be too much of a bottle neck.

Got a 3900x, 32GB of RAM, and a PCIe Gen 4 NVMe drive.

10 minutes ago, legend said:

:lol: I do actually need the rest of the PC too because my current one would be too much of a bottle neck.

Got a 3900x, 32GB of RAM, and a PCIe Gen 4 NVMe drive.

Curious what the est ship date is (and what PC vendor)? Saw a prebuilt machine that included a 3080 but the delivery date was end of October...

4 minutes ago, morph89 said:

Curious what the est ship date is (and what PC vendor)? Saw a prebuilt machine that included a 3080 but the delivery date was end of October...

They're telling me Oct 12. I'm not sure I believe it though. This will be a grand experiment. If it bears fruit, future generations of D1P may also use this economical strategy of upgrading their entire computer when they want a new hard-to-get video card!

39 minutes ago, legend said:

They're telling me Oct 12. I'm not sure I believe it though. This will be a grand experiment. If it bears fruit, future generations of D1P may also use this economical strategy of upgrading their entire computer when they want a new hard-to-get video card!

I'm kinda close to going that route, but I do enjoy the building process! Which vendor did you end up going with?

7 minutes ago, morph89 said:

I'm kinda close to going that route, but I do enjoy the building process! Which vendor did you end up going with?

Cyberpowerpc. My local workstation (for, well, work) is also a Cyberpowerpc which is why I have some trust with them. They're pretty well priced too.

6 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Which games? I saw that the spread between the 2080ti and the 3080 decreased in lower resolutions, but I assumed it was because of bottlenecks elsewhere in the system, such as the CPU.

Some games are definitely CPU bottlenecked, but mostly the re-vamped architecture makes Ampere shine at 4k.  Memory bandwidth is probably a key factor too.  Of course, maybe Turing just wasn't well-utilized at higher resolutions.  When comparing the 2080 vs. the older 1080 Ti, the 1080 closes the gap or pulls ahead of the 2080 at higher resolutions while the 2080 does better at lower ones.

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

douchescalpers.jpg

People who ordered immediately made seller accounts and re-posted JFC :lol: 

Those college kidz are our future!