The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

Knowing that there's going to be a 20gb RTX 3080 reaffirms my VRAM concern of the current 10gb models. It might just be scars from when I bought 2x 512mb 4870s and then a month or so later 1gb versions came out, then games quickly started to use over 512mb forcing those with the initial release cards to "turn down graphical settings" on a card that was otherwise more-than powerful enough... or even the 4gb that began to limit the 980 a bit after the 10xx series dropped. *sigh* the 3080 really should probably be 12-16gb and not have 10gb at launch and 20gb "later".

5 minutes ago, NextGen said:

The 20GB models are needed, so the 3080 doesn't look unfavorable on the side of a box compared to RDNA2 cards when they have 12 or 16GB of VRAM. Same goes for the rumored 16GB 3070. It's why they'll (probably) launch at essentially the same time. 

So you're going to have a jumbled mess of 8GB 3070s, 10GB 3080's, 16GB 3070s, 20GB 3080s and 24GB 3090s, which I am sure will get even more comical with Ti/Super refreshes. 

That's arguably part of it, but it likely has a lot more to do with keeping the price down and being able to produce (any) stock this month with current GDDR6 shortages.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So looks like the MSI and ASUS cards run the best.

Weird that they do 1080p games not as well as a 2080ti though. (Well for some games anyway)

Which games? I saw that the spread between the 2080ti and the 3080 decreased in lower resolutions, but I assumed it was because of bottlenecks elsewhere in the system, such as the CPU.

I managed to get my 3080 FTW step up reserved.  I built a new pc in August with an EVGA 2070Super.  Took a gamble that I'd be able to step up to the 3080, and it worked.  I wasn't expecting the FTW edition though.  Now I just have to wait in queue for mine, but I'm guaranteed to get it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brandino said:

I managed to get my 3080 FTW step up reserved.  I built a new pc in August with an EVGA 2070Super.  Took a gamble that I'd be able to step up to the 3080, and it worked.  I wasn't expecting the FTW edition though.  Now I just have to wait in queue for mine, but I'm guaranteed to get it.

Congrats! Any idea on what your turn around time might be?

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

Fuck yeah! Does it pretty much just feel like a switch now? Did you have to take your case off? Mine shipped this morning so yeah I’m pumped.

Mine shipped on Wednesday and I got it by Friday and I am on the East Coast. Surprised how fast it got here.

I have the Apple case on my phone and I needed to remove it. The fit is very snug which is nice.  Much better than clipping a phone to a controller. 

It’s similar to Switch feel. Due to it being smaller in height, the right joystick feels a bit off but nothing you can’t get used to. The buttons feel good except the d-pad. It’s too mushy but I don’t expect to use it that much so I am ok with it. The L1 and R1 buttons are strangely high and the L2 and R2 are a bit springy. Nothing major wrong with it but it has the feel of a 3rd party controller. 

I played Shensekai with it. Worked flawlessly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Not familiar with Zotac's quality, but this link will let you add to your cart and put in an order, not available until the 30th. I put in an order and if I get it, great, otherwise I can cancel if something better comes along.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aws/cart/add.html?ASIN.1=B08HVV2P4Z&Quantity.1=1

3 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aws/cart/add.html?ASIN.1=B08HVV2P4Z&Quantity.1=1

Found this on resetera. Ordered one.

Not ideal but I rather have it then not.

Zotac is a great brand and is generally the second-most recommended AIB after EVGA, IIRC.

23 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Mine shipped on Wednesday and I got it by Friday and I am on the East Coast. Surprised how fast it got here.

I have the Apple case on my phone and I needed to remove it. The fit is very snug which is nice.  Much better than clipping a phone to a controller. 

It’s similar to Switch feel. Due to it being smaller in height, the right joystick feels a bit off but nothing you can’t get used to. The buttons feel good except the d-pad. It’s too mushy but I don’t expect to use it that much so I am ok with it. The L1 and R1 buttons are strangely high and the L2 and R2 are a bit springy. Nothing major wrong with it but it has the feel of a 3rd party controller. 

I played Shensekai with it. Worked flawlessly. 

I bought a Kishi a month or so ago but haven't used it as much as I'd like. I have a S10+ which only fits if I take the case off, which is a bit of a hassle. But the biggest complaint is that there's no audio passthrough on the USB-c, its only for charging. So you either have to use the phone speakers or Bluetooth (the S10+ has a headphone jack but its inaccessible when in the Kishi.

2 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

I bought a Kishi a month or so ago but haven't used it as much as I'd like. I have a S10+ which only fits if I take the case off, which is a bit of a hassle. But the biggest complaint is that there's no audio passthrough on the USB-c, its only for charging. So you either have to use the phone speakers or Bluetooth (the S10+ has a headphone jack but its inaccessible when in the Kishi.

That would be annoying. I used AirPod Pros so not much of an issue for me

2 minutes ago, NextGen said:

You couldn't pay me to take a Zotac card.

On my 1080ti, it had an issue--artifacting under any kind of 3D load. Okay, it's still under warranty, no big deal, I'll just RMA it. Proceed to RMA the card. I get told from Zotac about 3 weeks later that they need to cancel the RMA because they don't have a card of "equal or better performance in stock". So there I sit, with a broken card. 

Never again. 

Sounds like my experience with Razer customer service. NEVER BUY A RAZER LAPTOP EVER. In fact don't buy any Razer products, by far the worst customer service I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

Mine is still there. I would reach out to amazon customer service ASAP.

It’s not that they are canceling these it’s just that they canceled mine particularly because i used an expired CC on accident, I’m sure they just sold the one I would have gotten by now :(