The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

The last updated reviews I saw of the 970 showed it did pretty well, considering its age, and seemed to compete against the GTX 1060 (3GB) as expected.  If you were lucky enough, hopefully you got your class action settlement of, what was it, $30? $40?  #970fixed

I don't see any funny 1% low numbers here, so no stutter anymore?

TR.png
WWW.TECHSPOT.COM

Recently we've looked back at the GeForce GTX 980 Ti and the GTX 960, both popular GPUs from yesteryear. Those features have been warmly welcomed, but besides...

Remind me what the problem is specifically again...I know it was that there was half a gig of bad video RAM. But was that on top of that, the video card reports itself as having a full 4 GB of VRAM, so it shuts the bed if you do something that caused VRAM utilization to go above 3.5 GB? 

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Remind me what the problem is specifically again...I know it was that there was half a gig of bad video RAM. But was that on top of that, the video card reports itself as having a full 4 GB of VRAM, so it shuts the bed if you do something that caused VRAM utilization to go above 3.5 GB? 

Horrible stuttering and bad frame timing would occur when exceeding 3.5gb of VRAM, IIRC.

Relative Performance 3840x2160

Relative Performance 2560x1440

Relative Performance 1920x1080

metro-exodus-rtx-3840-2160.png

control-rtx-3840-2160.png

WWW.TECHPOWERUP.COM

NVIDIA's new GeForce RTX 3080 "Ampere" Founders Edition is a truly impressive graphics card. It not only looks fantastic, performance is also better than even the RTX 2080 Ti. In our RTX 3080 Founders Edition review, we're also taking a close look at the new cooler, which runs quietly without throttling and has fan-stop.

The 3080 isn’t as big of a leap over the 2080 Ti as I was hoping. It’s definitely a noticeable step up but I definitely don’t know if t’s worth going from a 2080 Ti to a 3080. Likely best to go 3090 or wait to see if there’s a Ti variant for the 3080.

I REALLY wish 3090 benchmarks were released today so people on the fence about which card they wanted could decide before the 3080 went up for sale.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The 3080 isn’t as big of a leap over the 2080 Ti as I was hoping. It’s definitely a noticeable step up but I definitely don’t know if t’s worth going from a 2080 Ti to a 3080. Likely best to go 3090 or wait to see if there’s a Ti variant for the 3080.

I REALLY wish 3090 benchmarks were released today so people on the fence about which card they wanted could decide before the 3080 went up for sale.

The 3090 has 20% more CUDA cores (with with pretty similar clockspeeds) so it will likely be 20% faster at best, but probably closer to 15%.  There's really no secret sauce Nvidia could do, unless you run into a game that happens to need more than 10GB of VRAM.  And it seems the only game that can do that at the moment is DOOM Eternal.  You can do the same calculations for the 2000 cards (take the increase CUDA core count times the clock speed reduction) and that figure will be the rough estimate of the performance difference. For example, the 2080 Ti is roughly 25% faster than a 2080.  It has 147% the CUDA cores but 89% of the clockspeed, which equates to about 30% raw theoretical performance.  Subtract 5% to account that there is almost never perfectly linear scaling.

So the 3090 will live up to the Titan name by not offering the best price/performance metric.