The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

Do we have any idea how much faster the 3090 will be than the 3080 in practical terms? I don't really have a problem paying for one since it's been years since I upgraded my GPU, but if it's like a 10-15% difference I'll pass. If we're talking 30%+ I'm in, the longer the card lasts the better.

31 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Do we have any idea how much faster the 3090 will be than the 3080 in practical terms? I don't really have a problem paying for one since it's been years since I upgraded my GPU, but if it's like a 10-15% difference I'll pass. If we're talking 30%+ I'm in, the longer the card lasts the better.

That’s why I really wanna see benchmarks and not those nVidia chart-things:

6132-B615-B518-4-FA4-8790-EDD963-B53498. 
7-D765428-3148-4693-94-BC-DD0419845-A93.

Going by Control, I’d guess maybe ~30-35% faster than the 3080? The 3080 is being compared to a 2080 while the 3090 is being compared to a 2080 Ti.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Damn, that's a sizable difference if it holds true for a wider selection of games. That kind of delta can make the difference between really smooth frames and "almost smooth" frame, and the less I have to deal with wishing my card was just a bit more powerful, the better.

The other thing to consider is that in non-Ray-Tracing scenarios, the difference may not be as large. The 3090 might have better RT performance than the 3080, making the gap in those graphs semi-artificial, so keep that in mind too.

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The other thing to consider is that in non-Ray-Tracing scenarios, the difference may not be as large. The 3090 might have better RT performance than the 3080, making the gap in those graphs semi-artificial, so keep that in mind too.

Well that's the thing, RT performance is where I think these differences will matter most, and I expect there to be a LOT more RT in the coming couple of years. It looks way too nice to turn off!

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Well that's the thing, RT performance is where I think these differences will matter most, and I expect there to be a LOT more RT in the coming couple of years. It looks way too nice to turn off!

I don’t disagree, RT is about to blow up. The concern, if there is any, would be how non-RTX ray-tracing runs between the 3 cards (2080 Ti vs 3080 vs 3090), as DX12’s RT will most-likely be the standard, and I’m unaware of any benchmarks on an RTX GPU to show if RTX RT vs DX12 RT have the same performance hit or if DX12’s is greater.

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t disagree, RT is about to blow up. The concern, if there is any, would be how non-RTX ray-tracing runs between the 3 cards (2080 Ti vs 3080 vs 3090), as DX12’s RT will most-likely be the standard, and I’m unaware of any benchmarks on an RTX GPU to show if RTX RT vs DX12 RT have the same performance hit or if DX12’s is greater.

DX12 RT won't compile down to using the RTX hardware in the drivers? Or are you saying Nvidia might be using gimped "software" ray tracing making for a bad baseline?

15 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah those graphs are dumb, one is comparing to the 2080 the other 2080ti

But the 3080 is just about 2x as fast as a 2080ti I thought they said from the presentation.

No, they compared the 3080 to the vanilla 2080 in the presentation.

1 minute ago, legend said:

DX12 RT won't compile down to using the RTX hardware in the drivers?

No idea. That’s why I’d like to see actual benchmarks. :p 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah those graphs are dumb, one is comparing to the 2080 the other 2080ti

But the 3080 is just about 2x as fast as a 2080ti I thought they said from the presentation.

NO WAY THAT's TRUE!!

I think it's less then 50% better a 2080Ti. 2x would be absolutely insane!

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

No, they compared the 3080 to the vanilla 2080 in the presentation.

No idea. That’s why I’d like to see actual benchmarks. :p 

I am still debating vs the 3080 or 3090. I doubt the 3090 will be worth the price difference for just gaming. In addition I am in the FPS race since I went ultrawide so I will upgrade the second the 4080 comes out.

3 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I am still debating vs the 3080 or 3090. I doubt the 3090 will be worth the price difference for just gaming. In addition I am in the FPS race since I went ultrawide so I will upgrade the second the 4080 comes out.

Just SLI two 3090’s so Jensen can get some more Olive Garden decor in his kitchen :p 

Seriously, though, my one concern with the 3080, long term, is that it has less VRAM than the 2080 Ti.

58 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Just SLI two 3090’s so Jensen can get some more Olive Garden decor in his kitchen :p 

Seriously, though, my one concern with the 3080, long term, is that it has less VRAM than the 2080 Ti.

Which seems strange given how much memory RT apparently takes.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:47 AM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

No one got ripped off as badly as 970 card owners. #Neveragain

To make it even better, the code included with my 970 is how I got my copy of Arkham Knight. :lol:

God would I have been pissed about the Arkham Knight fiasco if I had paid out of pocket for it.