~*The Music Thread*`

Polyphia dropped a new song a week ago, and I've been listening to it a lot

I think it went as high as like #10 trending on YouTube, which is insande for an instrumental prog band. I just love how they've always blended elements of rock, jazz, and lo-fi hip hop together with an added virtuosity that makes it so there's pretty much always something new discover in their music. This time they also add a bossa nova/flamenco flair to the mix. Despite that, they play exclusively in 4/4 and use relatively simple chord progressions, which makes their music accessible to people who aren't music nerds. Most prog music is made by music nerds for other music nerds - most regular people who don't know anything about music theory think most prog music sounds like shit. While I don't think most normal people would be seeking out Polyphia's music, they still sound somewhat accessible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 10:55 AM, SimpleG said:

Psycho Waxx is putting out a Motorhead tribute album this month

Anselmo to my surprise knocks it the fuck out out of the park. 

I never thought I'd say this about anything but Anselmo is the only aspect of this I actually liked. 

:pratt:

I've been on a kick of listening to albums I've been meaning to check out from the 1001 You Must Hear Before You Die book. Well, I just finally checked out the following:

PIL_-_Metal_Box_original.jpg
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

I'm not sure what I would rate this but I essentially think it sucks. I hate John Lydon, even more so with age, their rhythm section is so-so at best and I have no clue why they're so revered. By the time this shit was released, Magazine was already two incredible albums in, The Banshees had several great albums under their belt and on and on. First album from the list I've checked out that I truly disliked. 

@thewhyteboar

It's been 10 years since I made R.A.P. Music with Jaime, A LOT has happened since. While waiting for the World to end the last 2 years I made a song called "RUN", it is produced by another mentor and brother of mine - No I.D. and features Young Thug, who I'd been wanting to work with forever.

I wanted to make a song that looked forward for my people instead of backward, one that celebrated us instead of dwelled on our pain. When I wrote 'The race to Freedom was never won' I was speaking specifically to the Black experience, but in the last few weeks it's becoming increasingly apparent that this rings truer now more than ever for EVERYONE.

I lived with the song for months, and remembered a pep talk Dave Chappelle gave me so I asked him if he'd do something in the spirit of that for this song. What he sent back was something else... I wasn't prepared for him to take one of the most romanticized events in World history and use it as an elegant metaphor for the Black experience in America.

Which brings us to the video- the intro reminded me that the first American to die for the United States in the Revolutionary war was Crispus Attucks, in other words Black history is American history, no qualifier. Keep this in mind while watching this video and I hope you enjoy it.

BEAR’S DEN - BLUE HOURS 

I’m feeling like I’m in my midlife crisis. Just turned 40, still looking for a job, limited on what I can do because of wrist injury, and still battling long hauler shit from Covid. So why do I mention this because the album really speaks to me and they have what appears to be a visual album online for most of the songs. I’m gonna post 2 videos done almost like Take on Me, but fuck does it tell a story in song for those depressed. So fucking glad Mumford and Sons brought them as their opening act way back when for their Babel tour. Please watch the 2 videos and enjoy

I’ve been listening to the latest Mechanical Moth album which is a unique double album with one CD consisting of EBM versions of the songs with clear female vocals, and a second CD consisting of industrial versions of the songs with distorted male vocals. I like the EBM versions with clear female vocals a little more, but the industrial versions with distorted male vocals are pretty good too for a little extra crunch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been listening to the latest Silversun Pickups album that just released yesterday (8/19/22). I generally love their music and had the chance to see them live here in Portland in Dec. 2019 and they were awesome. I think the new album may take a listen or two to pick favorites but there are a couple that stand out already:

I always love it when Nikki sings and on this album she has her own song. <3 

• Halal 1

57 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I've been listening to the latest Silversun Pickups album that just released yesterday (8/19/22). I generally love their music and had the chance to see them live here in Portland in Dec. 2019 and they were awesome. I think the new album may take a listen or two to pick favorites but there are a couple that stand out already:

I always love it when Nikki sings and on this album she has her own song. <3 

Been listening to this as well, its very good.

• Like 1