Reports of Kathleen Kennedy's Demise have been Greatly Exagerrated... again

https://www.ign.com/articles/lucasfilms-kathleen-kennedy-on-star-wars-future-we-need-time-to-step-back

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy recently spoke about the future of the Star Wars franchise now that the nine-part Skywalker Saga is complete. With creator George Lucas' original story, which had been the focus for most of the company's creative energy for so long, finally complete, Kennedy says "now we’re stepping back."Speaking to The Wrap, Kennedy explained that "stories have been told within this universe over the last 40-odd years, and there’s now the realization that this is a mythology that actually spans about 25,000 years, when you really start to look at all the different stories that have been told, whether it’s in books and games."

"We just need the time to step back and really absorb what George has created," she continued, "and then start to think about where things might go. That’s what we’ve been doing, and we’ve been having a great deal of fun doing it, and meeting with lots of different filmmakers and talent. There’s so many fans out there and so many filmmakers that have been influenced by Star Wars for so long that it’s a fantastic opportunity to get a sense of who wants to be a part of this. So that’s what we’ve been doing."

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 1

Exactly. It's not, "oh wow someone just told me about all these books we have, let's look at that", it's more that now that they've finished the Skywalker saga (for now; I don't believe for a second that we'll never ever see an Episode X), they'll be making movies and TV shows set far before anything from the days of Palpatine planning shit. We already know of the High Republic stories coming, so I'm sure we'll get a movie or two set in that time. 

I know it will never happen but I just some Star Wars that has nothing to do with anything Star Wars. I wan't them to go like 60k years into the future and make new stories from there. Of course it will still draw upon the lore of the old republic and even future beyond but I don't want it to be things I have already seen. The past is lame. Move into the unknown. I definitely don't want it to do anything with the Skywalkers. Shit is old and busted. 

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I know it will never happen but I just some Star Wars that has nothing to do with anything Star Wars. I wan't them to go like 60k years into the future and make new stories from there. Of course it will still draw upon the lore of the old republic and even future beyond but I don't want it to be things I have already seen. The past is lame. Move into the unknown. I definitely don't want it to do anything with the Skywalkers. Shit is old and busted. 

That's basically what she's saying.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's basically what she's saying.

Kinda, but they probably mean to go backwards. As in to the old republic eras or older. I doubt they move past the Skywalker era. That is what I think will always be the end of the timeline. 

I would be interested in stories that take place as FTL technology becomes available in the universe and these alien worlds begin to trade and fight and such.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I would be interested in stories that take place as FTL technology becomes available in the universe and these alien worlds begun to trade and fight and such.

In the "Legends" EU, that era was known as the "Before the Republic Era" and was set 37,000 years to 25,000 years prior to the Battle of Yavin.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I would be interested in stories that take place as FTL technology becomes available in the universe and these alien worlds begin to trade and fight and such.

There's something that feels odd to me about technology evolving in the Star Wars universe. Maybe the Legends material @Emperor Diocletian II mentions is good, but I just feel like anything that brings too much attention to the evolution of tech would be difficult to pull off.

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

There's something that feels odd to me about technology evolving in the Star Wars universe. Maybe the Legends material @Emperor Diocletian II mentions is good, but I just feel like anything that brings too much attention to the evolution of tech would be difficult to pull off.

I’m thinking more the implications of tech as opposed to any focus on the tech itself. SW is first and foremost fantasy, so I don’t need any hard science in it. I want something showing the formation of world relations, the stuff that leads to the sort of political climate the OT sits in. If that makes sense...

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

60k years... that is a long time.  Like there would be nothing at all to tie the movies together.  All the tech would be different.  The planets.  Everything.  

I mean if they say 60k years went past but they still had familiar spaceships and were still using lightsabers and blasters that would be pretty odd.  

28 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m thinking more the implications of tech as opposed to any focus on the tech itself. SW is first and foremost fantasy, so I don’t need any hard science in it. I want something showing the formation of world relations, the stuff that leads to the sort of political climate the OT sits in. If that makes sense...

Oh, don't worry about "technological evolution" in the Star Wars universe, because there simply is none!

I'm being dead serious: the technology in use during that Pre-Republic era is for all intents and purposes practically identical to the technology we've seen in the films.

15 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Oh, don't worry about "technological evolution" in the Star Wars universe, because there simply is none!

I'm being dead serious: the technology in use during that Pre-Republic era is for all intents and purposes practically identical to the technology we've seen in the films.

Well, realistically, a civilization that hits FTL space travel has effectively endgamed any meaningful technological advances. Once you solve that riddle, you have probably solved anything else you can imagine. So it makes sense that SW as has been covered to this point has more or less no tech evolution.

20 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

So does the EU ever suggest that there was a pre-pre-Republic time period where they didn't really have tech yet, or is it basically just always "just there" in the EU?

I don't hate her, but I also think she could do a lot better. The new trilogy was forgettable, especially The Rise of Skywalker. What a terrible ending.

I like The Mandalorian and Rogue One was decent, so there's potential and it's not all terrible, but the potential is far greater than what they're making right now.

Edit: It can also be difficult to talk about not caring much for the new movies without getting lumped in with bigots that dislike it for the wrong reasons. 

19 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I don't hate her, but I also think she could do a lot better. The new trilogy was forgettable, especially The Rise of Skywalker. What a terrible ending.

I like The Mandalorian and Rogue One was decent, so there's potential and it's not all terrible, but the potential is far greater than what they're making right now.

Edit: It can also be difficult to talk about not caring much for the new movies without getting lumped in with bigots that dislike it for the wrong reasons. 

Oh she could do tremendously better. Whenever a top exec at any company says "we need to step back and reevaluate things", they know they fucked up. Some silver lining exists, like you said, and that's really the only thread they can pull from to figure out what actually works. But there are also mismanagement issues, a revolving door of directors and rewrites that should not be repeated if they want to hang onto the fans.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I agree. STar Wars isn't science fiction in the literal sense. It's fantasy. A lot of it's tech doesn't make any sense and that's cool, but if you start to draw attention to the tech in Star Wars the cracks REALLy start to show in the internal logic of the series.

53 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I agree. STar Wars isn't science fiction in the literal sense. It's fantasy. A lot of it's tech doesn't make any sense and that's cool, but if you start to draw attention to the tech in Star Wars the cracks REALLy start to show in the internal logic of the series.

captain-theyre-firing-lazers-at-us-wtf-t

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

See what I just wrote :p

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's fantasy

Yeah, this is why I think they easily could go 60k years into the future. And like, if anything, the Skywalker moves 4-9 feel like they have regressed in terms of tech. The games really aren't canon anymore, but TOR era feels like it is more advanced than anything in the Skywalker era. I am not sure if they had anything that was quite Star Destroyer or Death Star level when it comes to ships, but there was so much advanced ancient tech in TOR that the movies don't even touch on. The feels like the Skywalker movies should be the start of the timeline, not the end. 

And I get that the movies are move focused on the poor rinky-dink rebels.  So maybe all that TOR stuff is still out in there in the universe somewhere. I just want to see it in a sequel, and not in a prequel. 

37 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, this is why I think they easily could go 60k years into the future. And like, if anything, the Skywalker moves 4-9 feel like they have regressed in terms of tech. The games really aren't canon anymore, but TOR era feels like it is more advanced than anything in the Skywalker era. I am not sure if they had anything that was quite Star Destroyer or Death Star level when it comes to ships, but there was so much advanced ancient tech in TOR that the movies don't even touch on. The feels like the Skywalker movies should be the start of the timeline, not the end. 

And I get that the movies are move focused on the poor rinky-dink rebels.  So maybe all that TOR stuff is still out in there in the universe somewhere. I just want to see it in a sequel, and not in a prequel. 

I get and agree with just about everything you are saying. I still just don't understand your number. Even if the tech stays the same forever, couldn't your goals of a reset be accomplished in 1000 years? That is long enough for everyone to be long gone. Even the Yoda race creatures. 

6 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Rise of Skywalker wasn't forgettable. It wasn't a good movie, but that's part of what made it memorable. :p 

Everything else was aces, imo. TFA was a ton of fun and TLJ is the most beautifully directed ones, with so many stills that you can just look at and admire. 

The saga works well if you just get up to 8 where they inspire a new generation to rise up against the new evil. 9 is fan fiction.

26 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

The saga works well if you just get up to 8 where they inspire a new generation to rise up against the new evil. 9 is fan fiction.

I didn't really like 8 either but anyhow I'd start at 3, not 1. 3 would actually be decent if you didn't have to first suffer through 1 and 2 to get to it.

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

I didn't really like 8 either but anyhow I'd start at 3, not 1. 3 would actually be decent if you didn't have to first suffer through 1 and 2 to get to it.

1 isn't bad if you just skip over pretty much the whole second act. 2 is turrible though. Just a complete shit movie. 3 isn't bad and is easily the best of the prequel trilogy. Rise of Skywalker is almost as bad as 1 and 2 though.