Crysis Remastered (18 September 2020) OT

Mr.Vic20

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I KNOW I played the second one... can't remember if I played the Third though. It's on EA Access right? I always wanted to play the first though 

It is and you definitely should! Yes, its not "true" Crysis but its certainly better than 2 and is plenty of fun in its own right! 

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Good, because I didn't think 2 was that good to be honest.

Yup, it was not. Three has a fun ride, and still looks amazing, even by today's standards. I think of it as a quality middle point between 1 ans 2, with 1 being amazing, 2 being trash, and 3 being solid and charming in its own right. 

• Thanks 1

Crysis is one of the few games I've (at least partially) replayed a few times, if only to push hardware upgrades a bit. I loved the freedom to approach encounters in so many different ways, which is hardly unique, but still notable even today. I'll gladly play a remaster.

I think it's interesting that people think that Crysis 2 is worse than Crysis 3 when both the critic score and user score on Metacritic for Crysis 2 is higher than for Crysis 3 (significantly higher particularly in terms of critic score; 86 vs. 76). 

It's separately worth noting that the user score for Crysis 1 and Crysis: Warhead are significantly higher (8.1 and 7.9, respectively) compared to the user scores for Crysis 2 (6.9) and Crysis 3 (6.6). Take that how one will. 

Either way, I'm hoping the remaster includes Warhead and all the mulltiplayer modes, etc. from both games as well. 

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think it's interesting that people think Crysis 2 is worse than Crysis 3 when both the critic score and user score on Metacritic for Crysis 2 is higher than for Crysis 3 (significantly higher particularly in terms of critic score; 86 vs. 76). 

It's separately worth noting that the user score for Crysis 1 and Crysis: Warhead are significantly higher (8.1 and 7.9, respectively) compared to the user scores for Crysis 2 (6.9) and Crysis 3 (6.6). Take that how one will. 

I would argue that Crysis, as a series, suffered its switch from a PC exclusive sandbox FPS that pushed hardware to a console style FPS with smaller areas. PC fans never forgave Crytech for going that direction and Console gamers didn't understand what the hype was all about until Crysis was released long after sandbox shooters were already a thing on consoles so its impact was pretty muted. Crysis 3 definitely suffered the "no one cares about this series any more!" issue though it has better level design, gameplay, graphics, and production values than 2. I think that 3 is objectively a better game than 2 in a side by side comparison. 

12 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I would argue that Crysis, as a series, suffered its switch from a PC exclusive sandbox FPS that pushed hardware to a console style FPS with smaller areas. PC fans never forgave Crytech for going that direction and Console gamers didn't understand what the hype was all about until Crysis was released long after sandbox shooters were already a thing on consoles so its impact was pretty muted. Crysis 3 definitely suffered the "no one cares about this series any more!" issue though it has better level design, gameplay, graphics, and production values than 2. I think that 3 is objectively a better game than 2 in a side by side comparison. 

I agree with you, just that a majority of both reviewers and fans don't (your explanation may explain some of the difference). Also, Crysis 1 went to consoles in late 2011, the same year Crysis 2 was released on consoles (earlier that year). So console gamers wouldn't have lamented Crysis as being late to the party if it came out when Crysis 2 did, right? Or are you saying Crysis 1 had already aged too much between its PC release in 2007 and its console release in 2011?

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I agree with you, just that a majority of both reviewers and fans don't (your explanation may explain some of the difference). Also, Crysis 1 went to consoles in late 2011, the same year Crysis 2 was released on consoles (earlier that year). So console gamers wouldn't have lamented Crysis as being late to the party if it came out when Crysis 2 did, right? Or are you saying Crysis 1 had already aged too much between its PC release in 2007 and its console release in 2011?

Yeah, its the aging issue and the fact that games like Far Cry 2 where already on the scene on consoles so "another" sandbox shooter wasn't as impressive to the console crowd as it would have been had there been a console that could have run Crysis when it first hit the scene. Instead of being a watershed moment for console owners, it was a "what this hat all the excitement was about?!" moment and I think it further hurt the series. Then two drops and its really limited.  And then Far Cry 3 hits consoles and Crysis 3 looks even worst upon its debut the year after. Its no longer seen as a pioneering series but rather another me too, soulless FPS relegated to modest sales and bargain bins. Its a shame too because while 3 is no return to form for the series, I would argue it is its own beast and a fun ride at that! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah, its the aging issue and the fact that games like Far Cry 2 where already on the scene on consoles so "another" sandbox shooter wasn't as impressive to the console crowd as it would have been had there been a console that could have run Crysis when it first hit the scene. Instead of being a watershed moment for console owners, it was a "what this hat all the excitement was about?!" moment and I think it further hurt the series. Then two drops and its really limited.  And then Far Cry 3 hits consoles and Crysis 3 looks even worst upon its debut the year after. Its no longer seen as a pioneering series but rather another me too, soulless FPS relegated to modest sales and bargain bins. Its a shame too because while 3 is no return to form for the series, I would argue it is its own beast and a fun ride at that! 

I see your reasoning, but if that were the case will the game hold up as a remaster if it'd already become unimpressive by 2011 to console gamers? Remasters are usually done for games that still hold up, in their way.  

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I see your reasoning, but if that were the case will the game hold up as a remaster if it'd already become unimpressive by 2011 to console gamers? Remasters are usually done for games that still hold up, in their way.  

Ha! To hear PC purests tell it, yes! But uh, no probably not! :lol: I’ll enjoy it as a fun tech model for Ray tracing though!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Ha! To hear PC purests tell it, yes! But uh, no probably not! :lol: I’ll enjoy it as a fun tech model for Ray tracing though!

And here I was, excited for the remaster! I remember the level design being pretty classic and the open-ended nature of the gameplay to be pretty impressive even for today, but it's been a decade since I've played the game, it really may have not aged well. :lol:

• Haha 1

If this remaster uses a new engine it will actually run and look better than the original.  Being limited to 2 CPU cores was and is a huge bottleneck for the original version.

Also I hope we edit the suit abilities.  Altering the config file so you can run faster, run longer, and recharge quicker made the game more enjoyable, especially because I think the default values were too low given the really open design and distances you have to travel.