Ben Affleck AND Michael Keaton will both appear as Batman in The Flash movie

Because they've really laid down the substantive character groundwork for the timey-wimey BS of Flashpoint to be cool. A bunch of cameos with no real story arcs of characters worth caring about is just pointless fan service.

I mean, okay, so Michael Keaton's Batman meets Ben Affleck's. Why do I care? If the movie can make that happen, then I'm interested.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

batman v superman GIF

You will care!

I hope so. All this Flashpoint stuff feels like too much too soon, like how I felt before Batman v Superman came out when all they'd released was Man of Steel. Solo movies first. Make us care about the characters over time, gradually. Maybe at least one real solo Flash movie first, just maybe? Stuff like that.

9 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Because they've really laid down the substantive character groundwork for the timey-wimey BS of Flashpoint to be cool. A bunch of cameos with no real story arcs of characters worth caring about is just pointless fan service.

I mean, okay, so Michael Keaton's Batman meets Ben Affleck's. Why do I care? If the movie can make that happen, then I'm interested.

Every party needs a pooper...

• Haha 2

This is just a continuation of what DC has been doing in the comics and on the arrowverse shows. They're basically saying "everything counts and everything is canon". All of the incarnations of Batman and Superman and other characters we've seen ove the years exist in different parts of the multiverse. The Arrowverse crossover laste year established that and Flashpoint will continue that concept. I wouldn't be surprised if we DID see a Grant Gustin cameo in the movie since we saw the movie Flash cameo on the TV series. I actually like this. Doomsday Clock established the same thing in the comics.

If they really wanted to be next level about this...

The comics would have Batfleck cameos, but instead of being drawn it’s would be actual pictures of Ben Affleck as Batman in the panels. Likewise, in the live action stuff, appearances by comic book versions of the characters would be hand drawn like Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Don’t half ass this shit, I want full ass. FULL ASS, DC. Make it happen.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Brick said:

I wonder how quickly Nolan would squash any ideas for a cameo from Christian Bale, or Joseph Gordon Levitt as the new Batman. 

I don't think he can really... If Warner's wants to do it and the actors are down they'll do it. The only reason they wouldn't would be as a courtesy to him if he asked and I don't see him really giving too much of a damn to be honest. Bale probably wouldn't do it but I could see JGL doing it though. Right now that's the only major DC franchise in recent history that HASN'T been tied to the DC multiverse. Nolan's Batman and Reynolds Green Lantern I think :p

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't think he can really... If Warner's wants to do it and the actors are down they'll do it. The only reason they wouldn't would be as a courtesy to him if he asked and I don't see him really giving too much of a damn to be honest. Bale probably wouldn't do it but I could see JGL doing it though. Right now that's the only major DC franchise in recent history that HASN'T been tied to the DC multiverse. Nolan's Batman and Reynolds Green Lantern I think :p

WB has a really good working relationship with Nolan, and I don't think they'd want to risk upsetting him in some way by using his Batman without his permission. In fact I think I heard a story where WB wanted to use that Batman again for something, and either Nolan or Bale declined.

36 minutes ago, Brick said:

WB has a really good working relationship with Nolan, and I don't think they'd want to risk upsetting him in some way by using his Batman without his permission. In fact I think I heard a story where WB wanted to use that Batman again for something, and either Nolan or Bale declined.

It was probably Bale... I don't think Nolan cares enough about "his Batman" to tell WB what they can and can't do. It's not his character and while he did a great job with those movies, i've never gotten an indication that they were THAT precious to him. Bale on the other hand, I can see being REAL particular about reprising the role.

Nolan had a very reciprocal relationship with WB...  He did Batman Begins for them, they produced Prestige for him. He did Dark Knight for them, they prodcued Inception for him. Same with Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar. He applied the John Sayles rule of "one for them, one for me." Nolan is professional enough to know you don't work on a character like Batman and claim some type of ownership over the character. That would be just setting himself up for unnnecessary frustration.

EDIT: This is probably what you're talking about

The conclusion of the “Dark Knight” trilogy left the door open for Bruce to one day return to his superhero persona, and Bale tells the Toronto Sun that a fourth Nolan Batman movie was pitched by the studio.

“When they came [to us after ‘Batman Begins’] and said, ‘You want to go make another?’ It was fantastic, but we still said, ‘This is it. We will not get another opportunity,'” Bale said. “Then they came and they said, ‘OK, let’s do the third one.’ Chris had always said to me that if we were fortunate to be able to make three we would stop. ‘Let’s walk away after that,’ he said. Then when they inevitably came to us and said, ‘How about a No. 4?’ I said, ‘No. We have to stick to Chris’ dream, which was always to, hopefully, do a trilogy. Let’s not stretch too far and become overindulgent and go for a fourth.'”

Seems like the studio was ready to move on with a fourth Bale Batman movie without Nolan but BALE shot it down. If HE was willing to do it, they would have done it.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It was probably Bale... I don't think Nolan cares enough about "his Batman" to tell WB what they can and can't do. It's not his character and while he did a great job with those movies, i've never gotten an indication that they were THAT precious to him. Bale on the other hand, I can see being REAL particular about reprising the role.

Nolan had a very reciprocal relationship with WB...  He did Batman Begins for them, they produced Prestige for him. He did Dark Knight for them, they prodcued Inception for him. Same with Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar. He applied the John Sayles rule of "one for them, one for me." Nolan is professional enough to know you don't work on a character like Batman and claim some type of ownership over the character. That would be just setting himself up for unnnecessary frustration.

EDIT: This is probably what you're talking about

Seems like the studio was ready to move on with a fourth Bale Batman movie without Nolan but BALE shot it down. If HE was willing to do it, they would have done it.

But not being willing to do an entire 4th movie that's a direct continuation of Nolan's trilogy without Nolan being on board doesn't necessarily mean he'd never ever reprise the role for a cameo?

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

But not being willing to do an entire 4th movie that's a direct continuation of Nolan's trilogy without Nolan being on board doesn't necessarily mean he'd never ever reprise the role for a cameo?

He wouldn't want a cameo he'd want to be the main character in the movie. :p

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I agree...the point I was making was that Nolan doesn't really have a say in what they do with the character or even "his" trilogy... it's more up to Bale than Nolan and if Bale decides he wants to reprise the role in ANY capacity not only would WB do it, I don't think Nolan would give a shit :shrug:

4 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

He created the "Nolanverse" yet he doesn't care? He's the only one who refused to let other heroes exist in his sandbox.

Nolanverse? He created three Batman movies and didn't want other heroes in his films because they didn't fit with his grounded approach not because he was particularly precious about the franchise and again, even if he was there's nothing he could do about it. He doesn't own the characters and as that article I linked shows, the studio was more than willing to do a fourth Bale Batman movie without Nolan. Bale refused it out of respect for Nolan's vision but if he said yes, that movie WOULD have gotten made. Nothing I've ever seen from Christopher Nolan says he was particularly possesive of his Batman films. WB initially wanted HIM to oversee the DCCU and he didn't do it because he was done with the character.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Nolanverse? He created three Batman movies and didn't want other heroes in his films because they didn't fit with his grounded approach not because he was particularly precious about the franchise and again, even if he was there's nothing he could do about it. He doesn't own the characters and as that article I linked shows, the studio was more than willing to do a fourth Bale Batman movie without Nolan. Bale refused it out of respect for Nolan's vision but if he said yes, that movie WOULD have gotten made. Nothing I've ever seen from Christopher Nolan says he was particularly possesive of his Batman films. WB initially wanted HIM to oversee the DCCU and he didn't do it because he was done with the character.

I respect Bale even more now. 

7 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

He created the "Nolanverse" yet he doesn't care? He's the only one who refused to let other heroes exist in his sandbox.

He made a trilogy of movies, that's it. Two of them were made before everything was a "universe". They weren't really made with that concept in mind.

3 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

@skillzdadirecta Wasn't Nolan executive producer or something for a couple DC movies?

For Man of Steel definitely... not sure after that. I don't think he really had much to do with them to be honest. In fact I KNOW there's interviews out there where he and his wife (who is his producing partner) were basically saying they were pretty much executive producers in name only and that the DC movies at the time were Snyder's babies. I can try and find that interview. I think having Nolan's name attached to the DCCU in some way was WB's way of subliminally linking his Batman trilogy of movies to the new continuity they were trying to build even though his movies had nothing to do with the newer films. Now WB and DC's approach is "It's ALL connected."

Arrrowverse Crisis opened the door for more DC crossovers

Greg Berlanti’s Arrowverse took the whole notion of superhero crossovers to another level earlier this year when TV’s Flash (Grant Gustin) met film Flash (Ezra Miller) during the Arrow hour of the five-part event that also spanned Supergirl, Batwoman, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow.  It was a monumental moment, for prior to that, DC always kept their film and TV universes completely separate, never would they intertwine.

CW network president Mark Pedowitz told reporters back at a May press conference for their 2020/2021 schedule that the next crossover could be between Batwoman and Superman & Lois. 

However, that “Crisis on Infinite Earths” moment between The Flashes, opened the door for more go-betweens in the DC universe, especially film. So much so, that both the Michael Keaton 1980s Batman and the more recent Justice League Ben Affleck Batman will appear in the upcoming Flash movie starring Miller.

“It became this really weird situation where the fans love the characters, they just want to see the characters,” said Warner Bros. Pictures President of DC Based films Walter Hamada. “This sort of opens the door for us to do more crossovers, to really lean into this idea of [the multiverse] and acknowledge the fact there can be a Flash on TV and one in the movies, and you don’t have to pick one or the other, and they both exist in this multiverse. I do think moving forward there are more opportunities to do things like this.”

They’ll be some careful judgement weighed when crossing over in the Multiverse, Hamada saying that such opportunities are strictly reserved for top-notch stories and filmmakers; they won’t be dispensable events.

Expounding, Hamada explained that DC’s cinematic multiverse will include an “Earth Prime” which includes superheroes like Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman, Jason Momoa’s Aquaman and Ezra Miller’s Flash. Additionally, this multiverse will include other DC worlds, i.e. the one which Matt Reeves is laying groundwork for in The Batman, which the executive referred to as “Year Two Batman.” “And of course there’s outliers like Joker, that doesn’t exist on either Earth, but that’s OK. Matt Reeves can continue to build out his Gotham,” added Hamada.

I hope they can pull this off without it getting too confusing. The whole reason the original Crisis comic happened in the 80's was because DC had all of these different versions of character running around and shit DID get confusing for readers. I DO like the idea that all of the movies and tv shows "count" and they all exist in this shared multiverse. That sense of scale and history is something that DC always had over Marvel.