The Batman (04 March 2022) - Information Thread, update: deleted Arkham Asylum scene released

• 1 year later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Batman - Trailer and Discussion Thread, update: DC FanDome 2021 Trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Batman (04 March 2022) - Trailer and Discussion Thread, update: DC FanDome 2021 Trailer
8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Looks pretty solid. I'm just a little worried about Robert Pattinson performance. He will always be Edward Cullen in my eyes lol.

That's not a good thing.

He's done enough in the last few years to make me a fan. Good Time, The Lighthouse, and Tenet alone are enough to erase his Twilight era for me. 

24 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Looks pretty solid. I'm just a little worried about Robert Pattinson performance. He will always be Edward Cullen in my eyes lol.

That's not a good thing.

He's made an enormous amount of fantastic movies filled with excellent performances since then. He used his celebrity status doing those shit movies perfectly. This is old hat, move on. 

I have rewatched it already easily a half dozen times in the last half hour. That hallway scene is literally telling Darth Vader to hold his beer ... then I do a little digging and its the exact same DP for both Rogue One & The Batman. This is a stupid gorgeous film! 139 days & counting ...

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

That's not a good thing.

At this point this is literally on par with “Eh I’m not interested in seeing the new Tarantino movie with DiCaprio because he’ll always be Jack from Titanic in my eyes”

• Shocked 1
  • True 2

9 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

At this point this is literally on par with “Eh I’m not interested in seeing the new Tarantino movie with DiCaprio because he’ll always be Jack from Titanic in my eyes”

Yeah Robert Pattiinson has LONG outgrown the Twilight movies at this point. I'm a little meh on the movie because I'm kinda over the whole Batman thing at this point. I would love for someone to stick around in the role as long as Craig did as Bond or Jackman did as Wolverine so we can see some real long term character development rather than rebooting the character every couple of years. We've been through what, SIX Batmen since the first big movie not counting the TV iterations.

Trailer looked good though.

• Like 1

Pattinson is great, and has really proved himself to be an amazing actor, and shed the Twilight stink, but I'm still not sure about him as Batman. He looks a little too emo here, and maybe a bit too slim. Compared to Christian Bale it's night and day. I'm sure he'll do a good job though. Not really a fan of the cowl though, and I don't like the overly armoured look for the suit, but I know they said this is just an early version of it. Hopefully by the end he makes a sleeker version. 

Matt Reeves is certainly a great director, and this looks very David Fincher-ish, which I've always wanted from a Batman movie, and it helps that he's said this will be more of a crime drama/detective story. I do hope it's not too grim and dour though. The overly depressing look of Bruce doesn't help. People said the Nolan movies were grimdark, but looking back they really weren't compared to what they could have been, they were just darker than the usual slate of superhero movies we got before, and really the Nolan trilogy struck the perfect tone; they were dark and serious when they needed to be, but also had moments of fun and levity. Certainly this doesn't look as bad as Snyder's version though since that was an adolescent vision of what dark, gritty, and badass looks like. 

Really hoping I like this version of Batman. I just hope it's not too serious and realistic in the sense that they're taking too much inspiration from Nolan, as I would like this to be a universe that we could see the more fantastical villains show up like Clay face, Killer Croc, Mr. Freeze, etc. I think dark, serious, and somewhat realistic works well for a character like Batman, but there should be some wiggle room. The Nolan movies were a fun "what if" version of Batman. The "what if" being "what if Batman was real" and how they thought of realistic explanations for things (like how Ra's wasn't actually immortal, just trickery with body doubles, Joker was filtered down to his core essence of psychopathy, and just wore makeup, not actually scarred white, etc.). 

6 hours ago, Brick said:

Pattinson is great, and has really proved himself to be an amazing actor, and shed the Twilight stink, but I'm still not sure about him as Batman. He looks a little too emo here, and maybe a bit too slim. Compared to Christian Bale it's night and day. I'm sure he'll do a good job though. Not really a fan of the cowl though, and I don't like the overly armoured look for the suit, but I know they said this is just an early version of it. Hopefully by the end he makes a sleeker version. 

Matt Reeves is certainly a great director, and this looks very David Fincher-ish, which I've always wanted from a Batman movie, and it helps that he's said this will be more of a crime drama/detective story. I do hope it's not too grim and dour though. The overly depressing look of Bruce doesn't help. People said the Nolan movies were grimdark, but looking back they really weren't compared to what they could have been, they were just darker than the usual slate of superhero movies we got before, and really the Nolan trilogy struck the perfect tone; they were dark and serious when they needed to be, but also had moments of fun and levity. Certainly this doesn't look as bad as Snyder's version though since that was an adolescent vision of what dark, gritty, and badass looks like. 

Really hoping I like this version of Batman. I just hope it's not too serious and realistic in the sense that they're taking too much inspiration from Nolan, as I would like this to be a universe that we could see the more fantastical villains show up like Clay face, Killer Croc, Mr. Freeze, etc. I think dark, serious, and somewhat realistic works well for a character like Batman, but there should be some wiggle room. The Nolan movies were a fun "what if" version of Batman. The "what if" being "what if Batman was real" and how they thought of realistic explanations for things (like how Ra's wasn't actually immortal, just trickery with body doubles, Joker was filtered down to his core essence of psychopathy, and just wore makeup, not actually scarred white, etc.). 

Fantastic post. I agree with all your points.

An emo reading of Batman is the only correct one unless you're going with a TAS interpretation, and I am absolutely willing to die on this hill.

Also I adore 2/3 of the Nolan Bat movies, but anyone who's called out out Pattinson's facial expressions here but can maintain a straight face when Bale screams SWEAR TO ME has my axe.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

An emo reading of Batman is the only correct one unless you're going with a TAS interpretation, and I am absolutely willing to die on this hill.

Also I adore 2/3 of the Nolan Bat movies, but anyone who's called out out Pattinson's facial expressions here but can maintain a straight face when Bale screams SWEAR TO ME has my axe.

God. Thank you for the laugh! It was always so funny to me when Bale would even speak when he was Batman. 

I dunno, I’m interested in seeing the movie but that trailer is just a mess.  I haven’t the slightest clue what this movie is about outside of the broadest possible strokes, and I’m sorry but that perfect question mark in the latte foam is the corniest shit since the Batman credit card. 

Was I the only one who had to turn on subtitle to figure out what he said when he punched the glass?

21 hours ago, best3444 said:

That's not a good thing.

Everything needs time.

Jennifer Lawrence isn’t Katniss Everdeen.

Joseph Gordon Levitt isn’t that kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun.

• True 1

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

I dunno, I’m interested in seeing the movie but that trailer is just a mess.  I haven’t the slightest clue what this movie is about outside of the broadest possible strokes, and I’m sorry but that perfect question mark in the latte foam is the corniest shit since the Batman credit card. 

Was I the only one who had to turn on subtitle to figure out what he said when he punched the glass?

yes you were

7 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

My favorite lol Bale-Batman line is when he screams "You wouldn't give it to an ordinary citizen!!" In Dark Knight Rises. That line always cracks me up for some reason.

• Haha 1