The Batman (04 March 2022) - Information Thread, update: deleted Arkham Asylum scene released

49 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Batman goes out of his way to make sure this doesn't happen in the comics, sometimes to pretty extreme lengths. Yes it's a contrivance, he's friends with people who can think / move much faster than the speed of light, who wear magical jewelry that lets them do whatever they want, both of whom regularly get their asses beat.

Again, I'm not saying it's impossible to tell a good story about Batman where he kills people, to a story about Spider-Man where he doesn't think, "with great power comes great responsibility," and so on. I just personally prefer movies about characters to have a focus on what makes them unique in the first place. 

I don’t think a lack of killing is what makes Batman unique given there are plenty of superheroes with ‘no killing’ edicts. 

I think it's a telling and interesting distinction that this Batman says he is "vengeance" rather than "justice". This is an immensely important moral and personal distinction. This Batman is angry and we're seeing that on screen and I'm interested to see where that will go. This is Matt Reeves, the filmmaking looks phenomenal, I'm all in. Cloverfield, Let Me In, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and War for the Planet of the Apes are all pretty much good to great films.

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think it's a telling and interesting distinction that this Batman says he is "vengeance" rather than "justice". This is an immensely important moral and personal distinction. This Batman is angry and we're seeing that on screen and I'm interested to see where that will go. This is Matt Reeves, the filmmaking looks phenomenal, I'm all in. Cloverfield, Let Me In, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and War for the Planet of the Apes are all pretty much good to great films.

I think it's important to remember that this film is set in "Year 2" of Batman's existence.  It's entirely possible that Bruce is still trying to figure out exactly what Batman's moral code is and his emotional state is still raw after the murder of his parents.  So while his moral code may be "vengeance" at the outset, there's the chance that we'll see it evolve towards "justice" during the course of the film.

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I think it's important to remember that this film is set in "Year 2" of Batman's existence.  It's entirely possible that Bruce is still trying to figure out exactly what Batman's moral code is and his emotional state is still raw after the murder of his parents.  So while his moral code may be "vengeance" at the outset, there's the chance that we'll see it evolve towards "justice" during the course of the film.

But his parents would have died like 8 years earlier. 

Also walking around going "I am vengeance!" Doesn't seem to work with me on Zoom calls. Somehow everyone gets awkward when I publicly announce "I am violent hatred!!"

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's what I'm thinking as well - just because it has a partly Nolan aesthetic and tone means nothing; for instance, the color coding and noir aesthetic already set it somewhat apart. I'd be surprised if this film was outright bad. 

6 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

But his parents would have died like 8 years earlier. 

Also walking around going "I am vengeance!" Doesn't seem to work with me on Zoom calls. Somehow everyone gets awkward when I publicly announce "I am violent hatred!!"

Well obviously that's because you're not Batman. :p 

• Shocked 1

9 hours ago, Chris- said:

I don’t think a lack of killing is what makes Batman unique given there are plenty of superheroes with ‘no killing’ edicts. 

i’ll be honest, i NEVER thought about him killing or not killing people until comic book heads on the internet brought it up. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Batman (04 March 2022) - Trailer and Discussion Thread, update: Michael Giacchino's main theme released
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Batman (04 March 2022) - Trailer and Discussion Thread, update: Michael Giacchino's main theme released and runtime (possibly) revealed

Theme is very simple and comes off more like an unknown presence slowly but surely approaching its prey. I think it’ll work better on screen but doesn’t resonate with me like Hans/James theme from the Nolan series or even Elfman’s theme. The opening 2/3rds sounded beautiful but plays off almost like Up, in that it’s all montage of things past to him taking up the mantle of The Batman

Runtime confirmed:

The-Batman-Still-9-Warner-Publicity-H-20
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

That's the longest of any film starring The Dark Knight, and one of the longest for any superhero pic playing in theaters.

The-Batman-Robert-Pattinson.jpg?w=1000
VARIETY.COM

Matt Reeves' "The Batman" runs 167 minutes without credits.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Batman (04 March 2022) - Trailer and Discussion Thread, update: Michael Giacchino's main theme released and nearly 3 hours runtime confirmed
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Batman (04 March 2022) - Information Thread, update: Michael Giacchino's main theme released, nearly 3 hours runtime confirmed, and extensive interview with Matt Reeves

Oh crap, I should just stop watching trailers altogether. Not only do I dislike having scenes spoiled, but the first big trailer did everything possible to make the movie look like a Dark Knight clone. But after watching part of the newest trailer I am at least relieved to see it will be pretty damn different, aside from the commonality of grittiness.

10 hours ago, SoberChef said:

I do not fear a long run time ... merely my bladder's capacity to sit through it undisturbed & maintaining focus for such a long time!

Or miss like 1 minute of the film and run off to the bathroom? A film shouldn't compromise its runtime because people refuse a 30 second bathroom break. It's okay for a person to miss 30 seconds of a film when the film is nearly 3 hours, I'm sure everyone will still be able to follow the movie. :p 

Also adults can't hold it in for 3 hours? Yikes (saying this in general, not to you SoberChef).

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Or miss like 1 minute of the film and run off to the bathroom? A film shouldn't compromise its runtime because people refuse a 30 second bathroom break. It's okay for a person to miss 30 seconds of a film when the film is nearly 3 hours, I'm sure everyone will still be able to follow the movie. :p 

Also adults can't hold it in for 3 hours? Yikes (saying this in general, not to you SoberChef).

Old movies that had runtimes this long often had intermissions, long plays usually do also. I certainly don’t mind long movies (god knows how many times I’ve watched the LotR extended cuts, Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments, etc..), but 3 hours of uninterrupted, passive entertainment is a lot.

11 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Old movies that had runtimes this long often had intermissions, long plays usually do also. I certainly don’t mind long movies (god knows how many times I’ve watched the LotR extended cuts, Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments, etc..), but 3 hours of uninterrupted, passive entertainment is a lot.

But people binge hours more of television straight through. It doesn't have to be uninterrupted, if you have to go to the bathroom really quick just . . . go. How long can going to the bathroom take? Quick piss, back in the movie, you missed a scene of Batman like, walking for 20 seconds in a scene or something. I dunno, it's always this enormous issue when I've seen people not get off the couch for 4 hours binging something at home on TV.

Like, what, Matt Reeves or Martin Scorsese should make shorter movies just because of people needing 1 minute bathroom break during the film? I dunno, I'd rather make the audience suffer the bathroom break and miss 1 minute of something than compromise my movie by being a half hour or more shorter because of "bathroom breaks". And this is only in theaters, movies live at home, where you can just pause. :p 

18 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

People whining of runtimes but will binge six hours or more of television in a row because they can't pause when in a movie theater is ridiculous to me (and most will watch this at home anyway). Just hit the pause button for 5 seconds.

I only care for purely business reasons :p 

I also think there is a pretty notable difference between binging shows that have many natural breakpoints in the 30-50 minute range from a feature film with no breakpoints between, even just in terms of the psychology of it.