Your favorite movie-themed YouTube channels

What are they? I don't watch a lot of stuff on YouTube generally, but there are a couple of movie channels I follow. And I just discovered another one that I'm absolutely in love with. Help me discover more.

Stuff I've always followed:

Patrick H Willems - I first found this channel when I saw a video of his about Marvel movies looking like ass and I stopped feeling so alone in the world. But I like the way he dissects an element of a movie or a director's repertoire. Like this recent one about how the switch to English instead of subtitles for the Russian characters in The Hunt for Red October wasn't because the director didn't think his audience could hang, but he wanted to do something subtle with the characters.

FilmJoy - Mostly known for its "Movies with Mikey" series that tries to look at what's going on narratively under the surface. I love his breakdowns of The Force Awakens and The Grand Budapest Hotel

New (to me) hotness:

Cinemassacre - I cannot get enough of this shit. I love their 90s rental store schtick and humor. I love the discussions about all the movies I grew up watching on VHS and that I, like the hosts, was definitely too young to watch at the time. I love James Rolfe's "Angry Video Game Nerd" stuff because I definitely played a lot of that crap when I was young and now can understand why I hated it.

• Haha 1

I'm definitely in the minority, but my favorite reviewer is the Cinema Snob. He watches such out-of-left-field nonsense that it's actually educational knowing these titles existed, let alone him actually giving you backstory about who is who and what is what for each flik he watches. I'll still watch stuff from that era of content makers (AVGN, Nol. Critic, Angry Joe, Phelous), but they're shells of their former selves, and I don't actively wait in anticipation of their new stuff.

Newer personalities that I like do some movie stuff, but not entirely. Matt McMuscles does great videos about video game movies, but he's mainly a video game video maker.

Toy Galaxy is fun - but they mainly do toys. Still, a lot of the videos they make have to deal with the toys that are mainstream movies these days, so how bad could watching a video about a toy be?

And lastly, maybe... There's a fun channel on Twitch call Forgotten_VCR that plays three times a week. The streamer literally has thousands of random clips from every kind of VHS tape you can think of, and he makes random mish-mashes and plays those/his hour long tapes he made back to back. It's really fun to see all the weird crap he's found over the years, from all countries, and how he mixes them together. I think he does, like, 4 hours every Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Cinemassacre - I cannot get enough of this shit. I love their 90s rental store schtick and humor. I love the discussions about all the movies I grew up watching on VHS and that I, like the hosts, was definitely too young to watch at the time. I love James Rolfe's "Angry Video Game Nerd" stuff because I definitely played a lot of that crap when I was young and now can understand why I hated it.

I don't watch any movie stuff, but I also enjoy some of the AVGN stuff. He can go overboard a bit sometimes, but overall usually a fun trip down memory lane.

A memorable one was the OG TMNT game on NES. That game was filled with so many quirks as a video game and as a Turtles property as well as being so difficult I think it qualified as child abuse for it's young audience and yet because it was a Turtles game and had some odd charm about it you couldn't stop playing it. 

Just now, Chairslinger said:

A memorable one was the OG TMNT game on NES. That game was filled with so many quirks as a video game and as a Turtles property as well as being so difficult I think it qualified as child abuse for it's young audience and yet because it was a Turtles game had had some odd charm about it you couldn't stop playing it. 

Yes. That's one of my absolute favorite ones that I've watched. I played the shit out of that game but could never beat it. But it turns out nobody can because really it's a piece of shit.

• Haha 1

I, too, am subscribed to all those channels @GeneticBlueprint(from your OP) and they always put out fantastic content. Lately I've hopped on board John Campea's channel as he has a solid show updated weekly talking about many current movie topics. 

Being that I'm a horror fan, Ryan Hollinger always delivers really quality stuff as well. As for a character doing movie reviews/analysis, one that I have fallen in love with is The Critical Drinker who, if it wasn't for the fact that he's a Scotsman, it may not quite be pulled off as well as it is. However, he IS and just happens to pull of the drunken movie buff shtick with brilliant precision while also firmly, adequately, and intensely critiques films & TV shows with snark but also praise at times. 

Finally, just one more addition at the moment that deserves a solid shout out would be Filmento's Channel, since you're a fan of "Movie's with Mikey" & Patrick Willems, it's right in that wheelhouse. That being said, I feel the need to share Patrick's most recent video right here as his breakdown of time loop movies in the age of Corona really struck a chord with me ... (just don't pay attention to Charle, even if his theme music slaps!)

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I found this channel last night when looking for a Karate Kid 3 summary (just finished a second watch of Cobra Kai and realized I could barely remember the third movie :p ), “Distracted Nerd”, he breaks down (mostly 80s and 90s) movies... holy crap, his videos are great. His channel doesn’t have nearly the subs or views it deserves, IMO. 

Check him out:

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

some of the channels posted already are excellent 

Thomas Flight

Like Stories of Old

Storytellers 

Are a few not mentioned that I like, especially Thomas Flight for cinematography and film editing. 

also like to add that Jenny Nicholson raises a lot of very good points when talking about scripts and plot. She makes videos Infrequently but I think I’ve learned something from every one of her videos. 

• Thanks 1