Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - Propaganda Thread, update: Digital Foundry and NX Gamer PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Comparison

Commissar SFLUFAN

About time they revealed it. There's been so many leaks, I was starting to think that maybe Covid impacted development so much that Activision would do the unthinkable and delay it until next year. 

Ah who am I kidding? No way Activision would let CoD miss a year. They'd rather put it out in a broken mess and fix it later, even if Covid really did hurt development too much. Bobby-boy needs his 30 million dollar bonus, while his employees struggle to pay for food in the company's own cafeteria! 

It's a direct sequel to the original "Black Ops"

The iconic Black Ops series is back with Call of Duty®: Black Ops Cold War – the direct sequel to the original and fan-favorite Call of Duty®: Black Ops.

Black Ops Cold War will drop fans into the depths of the Cold War’s volatile geopolitical battle of the early 1980s. Nothing is ever as it seems in a gripping single-player Campaign, where players will come face-to-face with historical figures and hard truths, as they battle around the globe through iconic locales like East Berlin, Vietnam, Turkey, Soviet KGB headquarters and more.

As elite operatives, you will follow the trail of a shadowy figure named Perseus who is on a mission to destabilize the global balance of power and change the course of history. Descend into the dark center of this global conspiracy alongside iconic characters Woods, Mason and Hudson and a new cast of operatives attempting to stop a plot decades in the making.

Beyond the Campaign, players will bring a Cold War arsenal of weapons and equipment into the next generation of Multiplayer and Zombies experiences.

Welcome to the brink. Welcome to Call of Duty®: Black Ops Cold War.

Oh so it's not a reboot of the Black Ops series ala Modern Warfare 2019? Will we learn more about THE NUMBERS, MASON?!? 

Actually speaking of numbers I'm a little disappointed that there wasn't a Black Ops 5, with the logo proving to everyone that freaked out over 4, that they weren't going for Roman numerals, but instead tally marks

spacer.png

• Haha 1

I’m not sold on Call of Duty: Black Ops – Cold War yet (PC Gamer)

In the cutscene, Reagan walks into a briefing just long enough to grant Adler unchecked approval to eliminate Perseus and deliver a monologue about thankless heroes, necessary measures, and protecting the free world. It was an uncomfortably patriotic moment for what was essentially the christening of an illegal international kill squad. The scene is content to paint Reagan as the guy that cuts through the red tape and lets the CIA go kill the bad guys, as if the Iran-Contra affair, which funded war crimes, had been the right thing to do in retrospect. That isn't too surprising from a series that once consulted with and featured a cameo from Oliver North, one of the Iran-Contra scandal's primary actors.

The Black Ops Cold War campaign emphasises player choice - with a character creator and Hitman-style levels (Eurogamer)

As well as choosing an interesting setting, the development team at Raven Software is offering a much greater degree of freedom than we've ever seen in a Call of Duty campaign. That starts with the character creator, which allows you to design your own single-player operator for the first time. There are eight stages in all, including options for skin tone and gender. While you can specify all of these options if you like to create a character suits your preferences, you can also leave them as 'classified' to end up with more of a blank slate like Call of Duties past. Choosing to not divulge your character's gender provides you with gender-neutral pronouns, which is a nice touch. As well as options that affect your in-game appearance and dialogue, some options have gameplay ramifications - so a psychological profile of "paranoid" halves the time it takes to aim down your sights, while the "lone wolf" profile allows you to sprint for twice as long.

The campaign itself also involves a greater level of player autonomy. Many missions allow you to take different paths to an objective, and you're also given dialogue options at some points in the story. You can also accomplish extra objectives and discover evidence to unlock two optional missions, which provide you with more narrative context to these levels. The choices you make will affect how the story progresses and ultimately what ending you receive, although it's clear that these choices will still exist within a broader narrative framework.

There are also several Hitman-style levels in the game, where you're asked to accomplish an objective by several potential means. One of these is set in the KGB headquarters in Moscow, where you're a double agent behind enemy lines. Here, you're able to poison a general, steal data, blackmail an officer or interrogate a prisoner in order to accomplish your unspecified but presumably delightfully devilish aims. Of course, the level ends with a traditional Call of Duty shootout, so it's clear that the more linear nature of the game remains the dominant vehicle to convey you along the story. For fans of the numbers, Mason!, you'll also be happy to know that the game includes some appropriately psychedelic and world-bending sequences as well.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Campaign Has Gender Neutral Pronouns And Character Creation (Gamespot)

Before starting Cold War's campaign, you need to make a character and will have several customization options. And as we saw from the character creation screen during our preview, you can choose your name, skin tone, gender, place of birth, military background, and psychological profile. But you also have the choice to leave any of those things "classified."

With gender options, you have male, female, and classified. The game will treat the classified option as gender-neutral and refer to you using they/them pronouns, which includes voiced dialogue from other characters.

On 8/27/2020 at 10:29 PM, Dre801 said:

Did they get the OK from Robert Redford/Brad  Pitt to use their collective likeness for that character model?

That is exactly what I said to my wife as we watch this trailer. Ok, I actually said “that franenstein’s monster mash of robert Redford and Brad Pitt is pretty hot!”  , but you know, same same.:p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Downloading the beta so I'll try it tonight. I'm skeptical about this game, and how the quality will be (especially when it's being developed for 10 different platforms, all during COVID without Activision is willing to delay, all in two years when they should have gotten the regular three), but some of the improvements over MW19 (mostly to loadouts) look fun, and the higher TTK is nice (I still feel you die way too quickly in MW19).

EDIT: or rather I won't play it tonight because I guess it was just a preload for the weekend. Oh well. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (13 November 2020) - Propaganda Thread, update: "Fireteam: Dirty Bomb" trailer
  • 2 weeks later...