First official photo from the new Terminator movie

Wild

Put me in as another vote for T1 being a way way way superior movie compared to T2.

T2 is an enjoyable romp, and was a groundbreaking action movie... but a terrible sequel to Terminator... and dumb as a box of rocks. T1 was also groundbreaking and was a cinematic masterpiece of pacing and tone and is just super tight and focused and smart and unique. T2 is just a big dumb spectacle that seemed to miss the entire point and is like the bland focus grouped hollywood version of the first one, only bigger and badder. Great bad guy and action scenes though.

I'm tired of debating this topic though, so meh.

Also, everything that isn't T1 or T2 is hot garbage. All of it.

4 minutes ago, ort said:

Put me in as another vote for T1 being a way way way superior movie compared to T2.

T2 is an enjoyable romp, and was a groundbreaking action movie... but a terrible sequel to Terminator... and dumb as a box of rocks. T1 was also groundbreaking and was a cinematic masterpiece of pacing and tone and is just super tight and focused and smart and unique. T2 is just a big dumb spectacle that seemed to miss the entire point and is like the bland focus grouped hollywood version of the first one, only bigger and badder. Great bad guy and action scenes though.

:sun:

2 hours ago, ort said:

You just blow in from stupid town? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't even think you can compare the two. It's like asking if The Raid is better than Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Both are near-perfect in their own genre, and most of it comes down to personal taste. T1 is a near-perfect science-fiction horror film, and T2 is a near-perfect science-fiction action film. I think (and hope) we can all agree on that.

T2 has a far more nuanced and compelling story that sadly doesn't really seem to reach a lot of people. T2 challenges the very idea of the first: that AI are dangerous monsters who will kill us if we develop them. The thesis of the second is that intelligent machines can be a force for good, or evil. It's a reflection of ourselves. It succeeds in building an actual relationship between the humans and the T800, including even Sarah Connor who is forced to confront her worst nightmares to do so. It makes you feel for the uncompromising emotionless machine.

T1 is just a monster movie.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, legend said:

T2 has a far more nuanced and compelling story that sadly doesn't really seem to reach a lot of people. T2 challenges the very idea of the first: that AI are dangerous monsters who will kill us if we develop them. The thesis of the second is that intelligent machines can be a force for good, or evil. It's a reflection of ourselves. It succeeds in building an actual relationship between the humans and the T800, including even Sarah Connor who is forced to confront her worst nightmares to do so. It makes you feel for the uncompromising emotionless machine.

Written like someone trying to convince us he's not going to kill us all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, legend said:

My thoughts stated perfectly.

• Thanks 1

1) T2>T1

T1 was a great scifi/action/horror movie

it is no exaggeration at all to say T2 changed cinema, the use of CGI was unprecedented and absolutely mind blowing at the time and the practical effects and stunts are still hard to top even today.

Helicopter work like this will NEVER be filmed in a US produced movie ever again, this is it the absolute apex of this type of stunt work

2) Mackenzie Davis deserves way better than this, she better be getting paid, if you haven't seen Halt and Catch Fire get on it

^ I feel like Mackenzie Davis is in a weird spot in her career. People who pay attention to movies know she’s a fantastic actor but hasn’t yet gotten the roles or recognition to warrant huge paydays. She’s like one role away from breaking out imo and if this movie is even above average I think this’ll do it. 

I prefer T1 over T2. For me it does more with less. Small budget FX combined with no name actors and the barest of story of a future gone wrong makes a hell of a horror film that had you in awe of the killing machine and rooting for the hero out of time.The Terminator series unfortunately follows down the same path the Alien series does, the more you expound the back story the weaker the films become but I gotta give credit to JC. He was able to make 2 films that are equal but different to their predecessor without destroying them .

I gotta agree with @SFLUFAN , the T-800 is way more terrifying then the T-1000 . In T1 Kyle is doing everything he can to keep Sara alive, he knows he is so out matched and out gunned and the audience feels that. Within the first 30 mins of T2 you see the T-800 go toe to toe with the T-1000 and hold his own, its obvious which is the "better" model but it removes a lot of the audiences fear. The biggest factor is Arnnie himself as most of the audiance realizes hes the hero and so there is no question if he can stop the T-1000 but only when. If T2 had been a horror film like T1 I have no doubt that it could have been some next level terror.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, johnny said:

^ I feel like Mackenzie Davis is in a weird spot in her career. People who pay attention to movies know she’s a fantastic actor but hasn’t yet gotten the roles or recognition to warrant huge paydays. She’s like one role away from breaking out imo and if this movie is even above average I think this’ll do it. 

I was not aware of her before Black Mirror but she really stood out (as did that entire episode),  It's just hard to look at such a beautiful woman sport a bowl cut.

T1 and T2  are masterpieces. Stop the fucking debate. You all sound like MJ vs LBJ  debates, just old. One is sci fi action and the other his sci fi horror but both are great. To say other wise is just looking as bad as saying MJ or LBJ is a bad player just because of your feelings of allegiance to one. 

Ugh ! Just had to get that off my chest.

Looking forward to this new Terminator hopefully breathing some life into this franchise. 

• Thanks 1