Shut down Social Media (except D1P, naturally), update: Facebook to shut down its facial recognition program

10 hours ago, legend said:

any large scale AI project requires many people working on it. The lone rogue scientist who does everything and adds special secret protocols only exists in sci fi. There's basically no world in which working for Facebook will allow you to do more good than working elsewhere.

That's why one of your demands for working there is to be the only person working there. Upgrade your robot brain jeez!

12 hours ago, legend said:

I realize this is a joke, but to be more serious, any large scale AI project requires many people working on it. The lone rogue scientist who does everything and adds special secret protocols only exists in sci fi. There's basically no world in which working for Facebook will allow you to do more good than working elsewhere.

But what about the movie Transcendence where a bunch of people develop an AI, they transfer a human mind into it, the human mind then transcends and becomes 1,000x more intelligence than anyone in history, and improves upon itself 100x fold...and then a single guy who worked on the original project writes a virus that takes it down?

Hmmmmmm?

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

But what about the movie Transcendence where a bunch of people develop an AI, they transfer a human mind into it, the human mind then transcends and becomes 1,000x more intelligence than anyone in history, and improves upon itself 100x fold...and then a single guy who worked on the original project writes a virus that takes it down?

Hmmmmmm?

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

Facebook Engineer resigns with zero fucks given

If Mark Zuckerberg’s concerned citizen act has convinced you that Facebook’s trying really, really hard, or that the company is too big to possibly moderate hate on its platform, read this resignation letter from software engineer Ashok Chandwaney. After five and a half years at the company, they’ve unequivocally concluded that Facebook is “an organization that is profiting off hate in the US and globally”—echoing, essentially, the crux of protests from advertisers and fellow employees, findings from human rights investigators, and repeated criticism from civil rights leaders.

In a letter, which the Washington Post reports was initially published on the company’s internal message board, Chandwaney frames Facebook as an institution that’s “on the wrong side of history.” They go on to enumerate the examples: Facebook’s failure to mitigate hateful Islamophobic lies that led to killings in the 2016-2017 Myanmar genocide; Facebook’s refusal to remove a widely-reported Kenosha, Wisconsin, militia page immediately preceding the deadly shooting of protesters; Facebook’s decision to give Donald Trump a platform to call for shooting civilians; Facebook’s continued allowance of discriminatory ad targeting.

“Every day ‘the looting starts, the shooting starts’ stays up is a day that we choose to minimize regulatory risk at the expense of the safety of Black, Indigenous, and people of color,” Chandwaney writes, referencing a May 29 post by Trump. 1) Yes! And 2) this is exactly where Mark Zuckerberg’s slippery position that “bad speech” can be counteracted with “more speech” falls apart; the post still stands without any kind of label, and no post elsewhere on Facebook is going to change the fact that a call for violence against citizens by the president of the United States is still hanging there.

Contrary to popular belief, Chandwaney argues that Facebook is decidedly not too big to moderate, or, at least, it could be doing more if it decided to invest the same energy it does in its routine operations. Chandwaney says that the “moving fast” motto in practice has meant they might be told about a bug and fix it within the course of a meeting, whereas Facebook does the bare minimum to preserve its reputation after it’s altered to dangers by civil rights organizations, researchers, the public, and the media. “ In fact, we continue to pass the buck with the Kenosha Guard failure being pinned on contract content moderators, who are underpaid and undersupported in their jobs - both of which are things Facebook could almost instantly fix if it so chose,” they wrote.

Chandwaney charges Facebook with also designing different rules on misinformation for right-wing publications in order to preserve a conservative audience, which sources within Facebook confirmed to the Washington Post.

14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Naaa. I don't do chatter bots, even highly impressive many hundred-billion parameter trained ones. I prefer AI work that involves action-taking agents.

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The Rock Tennis GIF

If you go to the linked letter on Washington Post, it's clear they don't know what Markdown is :p 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

Great read.

I mean, Facebook is a right-wing hellhole. But it's clear from that piece and many other, it's so much worse. It's not just a community for radical people to talk about radical ideas. It is *actively* radicalizing people.

Your and @foosh's boss decision to go to war with Facebook might actually convince me to go with Apple when I decide it's time to retire my Pixel 3.

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's old now but my Samsung Galaxy S8+ is fantastic. Fuck closed OS's, I hate them. I need dat freedom. Also for those who care Samsung cameras are better than Apple ones. :p 

i get it. i had a galaxy that was all tricked out. switched to iphone and realized i don’t actually care about having all the customization lol. 

• Thanks 1

Android phones are slowly getting rid of every last feature that differentiates them from the iPhone. I have a Samsung Note 10 that has one key feature left for me: microSD card slot. But the newest Galaxy model, the S21, doesn't have that. So I fear the next Note won't either since they've gotten rid of the headphone jack, swappable batteries, etc. If they want to be a fucking iphone I'm just going to buy the fucking OG iPhone next time.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Android phones are slowly getting rid of every last feature that differentiates them from the iPhone. I have a Samsung Note 10 that has one key feature left for me: microSD card slot. But the newest Galaxy model, the S21, doesn't have that. So I fear the next Note won't either since they've gotten rid of the headphone jack, swappable batteries, etc. If they want to be a fucking iphone I'm just going to buy the fucking OG iPhone next time.

I'm starting to feel that way too. I miss my swappable batteries. But fuck iPhones are how expensive all their accessories are.