Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

 

But if I had a browser open, I hit back, and the last thing I’d done was edit something in Excel... Windows / macOS won’t switch me back to Excel from Safari or Chrome. The way Jason explained it, I had assumed that the Android back button sometimes WOULD bring you to another app. The Xbox One does this and it’s never made a lick of sense to me.

 

At least on my S8+ the back button does not kick you from one app to another one, no, it will just keep taking you back within that app. You can hit the home button, be taken back to the main desktop-esque screen of apps, and open the other app. You can press the the vertical lines button to bring up all open apps and just cycle through to go to a different app you just used. Most Androids have a three vertical lines button, a home button, and a back button at the bottom of the phone's screen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

But if I had a browser open, I hit back, and the last thing I’d done was edit something in Excel... Windows / macOS won’t switch me back to Excel from Safari or Chrome. The way Jason explained it, I had assumed that the Android back button sometimes WOULD bring you to another app. The Xbox One does this and it’s never made a lick of sense to me.

 

If you click on a Twitter link on your desktop you get brought to the page in your browser. If you click on a Twitter link on your phone and you have Twitter installed you'll get sent to the Twitter app. I think it's sensible in the latter case that the back button has the effect of sending you back to your browser.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jason said:

 

If you click on a Twitter link on your desktop you get brought to the page in your browser. If you click on a Twitter link on your phone and you have Twitter installed you'll get sent to the Twitter app. I think it's sensible in the latter case that the back button has the effect of sending you back to your browser.

 

I can confirm this is the case - though if you haven't selected a preference the phone will prompt you and ask whether you want the Twitter link (or Reddit link, etc.) to be opened in your phone's web browser or open it in its own app, and if you select its own app it will open the Twitter app instead. And if you do hit the back button once Twitter is open but the link originated from your web browser, you will automatically go back to your web browser in that instance, Jason is right there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

 

But if I had a browser open, I hit back, and the last thing I’d done was edit something in Excel... Windows / macOS won’t switch me back to Excel from Safari or Chrome. The way Jason explained it, I had assumed that the Android back button sometimes WOULD bring you to another app. The Xbox One does this and it’s never made a lick of sense to me.

 

 

Dusty.

 

Now seriously, what did you mean with that keyboard example because I cannot wrap my head around it and I know I’m being dumb.

 

You're overthinking it. As I've said, it goes back inside the app you are currently using. It's not an OS-level command, it's app-specific. So if you're in Chrome and you click on three links, the back button takes you back a page. If you're in Spotify and you go four levels into a menu, the back button takes you up a level. It's just a back button...if you've ever used a browser, it functions just like that. The only time it ever changes apps is if the last thing you did was open the app you're in, then it closes it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason said:

 

If you click on a Twitter link on your desktop you get brought to the page in your browser. If you click on a Twitter link on your phone and you have Twitter installed you'll get sent to the Twitter app. I think it's sensible in the latter case that the back button has the effect of sending you back to your browser.

 

This is correct. Whenever I click on a some embedded tweet, I have it set to open that as a link in the Twitter app because the Twitter app is just better than mobile. I don't have an actual back button, but the back swip gesture takes me back to the browser window. Same goes with YouTube links since embedded YouTube clips are better in the native app on mobile since it lets you do things like comment, like, or subscribe.

 

For anyone wondering, you get the same functionality in Windows by pressing Alt+Esc. You can keep hitting Esc to go further back in the task list. On Mac that's Command+Tab. Before anyone gets confused there, Alt+Tab on Windows let's you cycle through all apps. On Mac that's Command+Shift+Tab OR hold Command+Tab for like a second. I don't think you can just rewind through the task list on Mac since holding Command for longer than a second will bring up the task list.

 

I'm surprised anyone is wondering about this since it's been a part of desktop OSes since like Windows 3.1.

 

I should note, on Android this doesn't work in a browser. Back will go back in the browser until you get to your first browsed page and then you back out of the browser. It's mostly handy because that's also true for games. Many games on Android will let you store back to a menu, for instance.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

30 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

 

But if I had a browser open, I hit back, and the last thing I’d done was edit something in Excel... Windows / macOS won’t switch me back to Excel from Safari or Chrome. The way Jason explained it, I had assumed that the Android back button sometimes WOULD bring you to another app. The Xbox One does this and it’s never made a lick of sense to me.

 

 

Dusty.

 

Now seriously, what did you mean with that keyboard example because I cannot wrap my head around it and I know I’m being dumb.

 

If you click on a link in an app and that opens up another app, hitting the back button will return you to the first app.

 

And I would love to see Windows adopt a universal undo button.  At least in file explorer, sometimes shit happens and you either accidently delete a file, or move a file to an unintended location.  It would be nice to just hit an undo button to restore the file.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

 

You're overthinking it. As I've said, it goes back inside the app you are currently using. It's not an OS-level command, it's app-specific. So if you're in Chrome and you click on three links, the back button takes you back a page. If you're in Spotify and you go four levels into a menu, the back button takes you up a level. It's just a back button...if you've ever used a browser, it functions just like that. The only time it ever changes apps is if the last thing you did was open the app you're in, then it closes it.

 

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

 

This is correct. Whenever I click on a some embedded tweet, I have it set to open that as a link in the Twitter app because the Twitter app is just better than mobile. I don't have an actual back button, but the back swip gesture takes me back to the browser window. Same goes with YouTube links since embedded YouTube clips are better in the native app on mobile since it lets you do things like comment, like, or subscribe.

 

For anyone wondering, you get the same functionality in Windows by pressing Alt+Esc. You can keep hitting Esc to go further back in the task list. On Mac that's Command+Tab. Before anyone gets confused there, Alt+Tab on Windows let's you cycle through all apps. On Mac that's Command+Shift+Tab OR hold Command+Tab for like a second. I don't think you can just rewind through the task list on Mac since holding Command for longer than a second will bring up the task list.

 

I'm surprised anyone is wondering about this since it's been a part of desktop OSes since like Wineries 3.1.

 

It also does stuff like, let's say you're in your browser, and you click on a link and open it in a new tab, and it automatically sends you to the new tab. Hitting the back button will automatically close the tab and take you back to the tab you got there from. It's maybe not 100% identical to how back buttons work on a desktop but I again think it's very sensible behavior for the context.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jason said:

 

 

It also does stuff like, let's say you're in your browser, and you click on a link and open it in a new tab, and it automatically sends you to the new tab. Hitting the back button will automatically close the tab and take you back to the tab you got there from. It's maybe not 100% identical to how back buttons work on a desktop but I again think it's very sensible behavior for the context.

 

It's very sensible when you consider that a mobile OS like Android isn't really a windowed experience and everything is running fullscreen. Windows 10 works the same way in tablet mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Didn't Facebook lie about the number of media views which is why all media outlets pivoted to video?

Yup

acastro_180522_facebook_0002.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The inflated video views led both advertisers and media companies to put too much emphasis on Facebook video.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yup

acastro_180522_facebook_0002.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The inflated video views led both advertisers and media companies to put too much emphasis on Facebook video.

 

 

Media outlets that shuttered after switching to video should file a class-action against Facebook.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep unfriending people who are at the top of my feed that post nothing but Q / conspiracy bullshit, and people whose content I have not seen in my timeline for literal years keep popping up at the top when I log in. This is absolute lunacy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I keep unfriending people who are at the top of my feed that post nothing but Q / conspiracy bullshit, and people whose content I have not seen in my timeline for literal years keep popping up at the top when I log in. This is absolute lunacy. 

 

At this point I can 100% believe it's Facebook abusively pushing rightwing nonsense into your feed but it will start grabbing shit you told it not to grab if you unfollow enough people, so I wonder if it's doing the same because of how heavily you've pruned your friends list. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jason said:

 

If you click on a Twitter link on your desktop you get brought to the page in your browser. If you click on a Twitter link on your phone and you have Twitter installed you'll get sent to the Twitter app. I think it's sensible in the latter case that the back button has the effect of sending you back to your browser.

 

iOS does this, though. When an app opens another app, the top left corner gives the option to return to your previous app. For example, if I tap a twitter link in safari and the twitter app is opened, the top left corner of my iPhone offers me to "return to safari".

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason said:

 

At this point I can 100% believe it's Facebook abusively pushing rightwing nonsense into your feed but it will start grabbing shit you told it not to grab if you unfollow enough people, so I wonder if it's doing the same because of how heavily you've pruned your friends list. 

 

VM.TIKTOK.COM

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Didn't Facebook lie about the number of media views which is why all media outlets pivoted to video?

 

Facebook STILL gives meaningless video stats. They count 1 second as a view on their videos AND automatically play them in people's timeline. If you're a brand with 100,000 followers on Facebook and create a new video, it's all but guaranteed to hit 100,000+ views in a manner of minutes after posting it. However, none of those views matter since those are all 1 second views. Facebook then likes to break down views in 1-second, 3-second, and 10-second chunks before going into more meaningful stats.

 

Source, me. Until like a year ago, I ran the live stream feed for our local church and spent WAY too much time explaining why YouTube's 100 views were WAY more valuable than Facebooks 1000. The YouTube views were averaging 30+ minutes each and the Facebook ones were averaging fewer than 10 seconds, with like 90% of those coming in under 3 seconds.

 

Top this all off with Facebook's outright refusal to do anything about video content stolen from YouTube and TikTok.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Cool, 533 MILLION Facebook accounts were breached back in 2019. Facebook is only acknowledging the breadth of that breach now because it's all been leaked online.

 

60686ebe856cd700198a30b8?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

The data includes phone numbers, Facebook IDs, full names, locations, birthdates, bios, and — in some cases — email addresses.

 

  • Guillotine 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:


it’s fine. It’s old data. You all have new phone numbers and birth dates. 

 

I should note that according to Facebook, this is not the same breach that was reported in September 2019.

 

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.
WWW.FORBES.COM

Unsecured databases have exposed the phone numbers linked to more than 400 million Facebook accounts. Was your amongst them?

 

Quote

“This dataset is old and appears to have information obtained before we made changes last year to remove people’s ability to find others using their phone numbers,” a Facebook company spokesperson says. “The dataset has been taken down and we have seen no evidence that Facebook accounts were compromised. The underlying issue was addressed as part of a Newsroom post on April 4th 2018 by Facebook’s Chief Technology Officer.” Of course, the account compromises could come later if any threat actors had access to the databases before they were removed.

 

Back in 2019 there was a breach of 419 million accounts Facebook attributed to a vulnerability they patched in 2018. This current breach Facebook says came from a vulnerability they patched in August 2019.

 

Forgive me for not believing Facebook can be trusted with anybody's data or that they can be trusted to report on any actual breaches.

 

I mention this because it seems like Facebook is trying to conflate these two breaches as one in the same, but that would run counter to what they said about the 2018 breach back in 2019. I'm thinking that they're hoping most people won't be able to tell the difference since it can sometimes be tricky to pull up old news articles with keywords that match current news.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Cool, 533 MILLION Facebook accounts were breached back in 2019. Facebook is only acknowledging the breadth of that breach now because it's all been leaked online.

 

60686ebe856cd700198a30b8?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

The data includes phone numbers, Facebook IDs, full names, locations, birthdates, bios, and — in some cases — email addresses.

 

 

Good thing I've loaded up my Facebook with face information.

 

Born in 1935, hometown McMurdo Station, Antarctica.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

...don't they have a legal requirement?

 

I'm theory; except that Facebook is trying to claim that this was all public data at the time and it doesn't exactly know who was affected and those people might not be Facebook users anymore. Who will hold them to account anyway? At worse, they'll get hit with a fine worth 0.001% of their earnings for that particular quarter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

...don't they have a legal requirement?

 

"lol whatever equifax already leaked everything anyhow"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
1617799165603-ap21084824397847.jpeg?imag
WWW.VICE.COM

A database containing the stolen phone numbers of more than half a billion Facebook users is being freely traded online.


Kristen Bell Your Fault GIF by Global TV

 

 

This one is easy. Facebook doesn't actually delete user profiles and also creates dummy profiles based on data collected from their users' contact lists. That way if Pierre here tried creating a new Facebook account, Facebook will suggest all his friends and family that already gave them all his contact info via access to their contact lists. Facebook also uses this to recommend you invite your friends to join when you give them access to your contact list.

  • Guillotine 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

A Guardian investigation exposes the breadth of state-backed manipulation of the platform

 

Very cool. While Facebook does a fairly shitty job of deleting fake pages and fake users in the US and Europe, they just don't care to do even that in other parts of the world. It looks like this has allowed for authoritarian governments to use Facebook as a propaganda outlet. Facebook is aware of this, but they don't really care since they aren't likely to face bad press in those countries and they, rightly, assume most people in wealthier nations don't care enough to make a stink about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...