Shut down Social Media (except D1P, naturally), update: Facebook to shut down its facial recognition program

4 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Facebook is a cancer on our society. Shut that shit down.

If you think about it really the damaging part here is sharing content. If there was no "feed", nothing but a social wall like in the olden days, would it be that big of a problem? 

Of course then it's harder to seed in advertisements and so harder to make oneself unimaginably wealthy but what are you gonna do? 

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

I deleted my Facebook back in June. I had an account since 2009.

Facebook is a right-win hellhole.

You just notice it more. We always notice those who don’t agree with our views. Theres plenty of insane left wing stuff too. Demanding peoples heads for past comments, untrue stories, etc. The right wing is just more disgusting, but I don’t know there is any more of it. 

There’s no putting the genie back in the bottle.  The Facebook/Google/Twitter/social media model of selling personal data to advertisers in return for allowing them to control consumer preferences through the feedback mechanism of the ‘feed’ and its algorithms has so much market and financial power now that shutting down Facebook would only allow another entity to take its place.  What is needed is a reworking of property rights so that people get paid for the value their data creates—that will end this *pattern* of business organization, and it’s the pattern that’s the real problem, not any particular practitioner of it, like Facebook.  The latter is just a symptom of the greater disease.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Facebook et al isn't going anywhere is because they're collecting data and sharing it with the US government (foreign focused and domestic) getting around those pesky fourth amendment concerns.

Facebook won't go until the empire goes, folks.

Facebook goes when people move elsewhere. The issue there is that Facebook is far more ubiquitous than like MySpace was. They also bought up their primary competition twice now, so there's that too.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Facebook goes when people move elsewhere. The issue there is that Facebook is far more ubiquitous than like MySpace was. They also bought up their primary competition twice now, so there's that too.

I mean, it's not just Facebook that feeds the USG data. It's all of tech, I once the USG comes knocking. They've seen what happens if you refuse

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I mean, it's not just Facebook that feeds the USG data. It's all of tech, I once the USG comes knocking. They've seen what happens if you refuse

This much is obvious. There's some stuff that can only be accomplished by gigantic multinationals. YouTube isn't doable unless you've got a lot of money backing you.

I think Facebook's bigger issue is that they're easily the most evil of all these companies and the least willing to care about what happens to your personal info. It's best to always assume any government can get any data it wants from you, so there's no point in worrying about that piece.

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I mean, it's not just Facebook that feeds the USG data.

Remember all the copypasta chains that used to go around Facebook about Facebook being a CIA operation?

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I think Facebook's bigger issue is that they're easily the most evil of all these companies and the least willing to care about what happens to your personal info.

Yeah, Google has a creepy amount of information about you, but if nothing else they do a decent enough job about not rubbing your face in it and trying to at least PRETEND that it's mostly aggregated depersonalized information.

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Yeah, Google has a creepy amount of information about you, but if nothing else they do a decent enough job about not rubbing your face in it and trying to at least PRETEND that it's mostly aggregated depersonalized information.

I think it's the abstraction of what they use that data for that makes Facebook less palatable. Google uses your data to deliver more relevant stuff to you; whether that be search results, YouTube videos, or even ads. Google is being creepy here, but it feels less creepy because it feels like a service to you. Amazon uses it's data on you to recommend things to you that you would more likely buy. Again, it feels like a service to you.

Facebook, in theory, isn't doing anything different, but since the product they're offering is content shared by friends and family, it feels more sinister. The question raised there is "Why do I need an algorithm to show me what my friends and family are trying to share?". Follow that up with Facebook having with a history of being reckless with your personal data in the pursuit of profit. That be whether we're talking about their once ubiquitous trackers, Cambridge Analytica, the way they can change privacy settings on people, or even just the ad terms they offer advertisers. Yeah, Google has the larger ad network, but they also don't offer demographics like racists as a target audience.

33 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

It's right there from Facebook's own mouth...

“We also remove groups and pages that discuss Holocaust denial from recommendations and references to it in search predictions. While we do not take down content simply for being untruthful, many posts that deny the Holocaust often violate our policies against hate speech and are removed.

Facebook knows where this stuff is and just doesn't care. How do you split the hair between antisemitism and Holocaust denial?

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Effective October 1, 2020, section 3.2 of our Terms of Service will be updated to include: “We also can remove or restrict access to your content, services or information if we determine that doing so is reasonably necessary to avoid or mitigate adverse legal or regulatory impacts to Facebook.

While FB is BS this is kind of needed. They're starting to prepare for when they might start being liable for what is posted and they surface to others. 

1 hour ago, legend said:

This thread reminds me that I still need to formulate my response to the Facebook AI recruiter who keeps pinging me. 

On the one hand I want to go scorched earth. On the other they're probably just trying to pay the bills. 

Just ignore them is the best option. Telling them you're not interested will keep the conversation going. If you want to end it for good agree to an interview and ghost them. That will get you on a ignore list. :) Yet with that said, as much as FB sucks, FAIR does some pretty cool stuff.

37 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Just ignore them is the best option. Telling them you're not interested will keep the conversation going. If you want to end it for good agree to an interview and ghost them. That will get you on a ignore list. :) Yet with that said, as much as FB sucks, FAIR does some pretty cool stuff.

They've emailed me like 4 times even though I haven't responded so far, hence why I'm thinking of formulating a response.

There are good and otherwise well-meaning researchers in Facebook AI. But I think they're all wrong to work for such an awful company. You can get decent paying jobs elsewhere doing AI pretty easily these days, you don't need to empower such a terrible business to do good AI work. Unless Facebook undergoes a massive change in business practices, I refuse to work for them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, legend said:

They've emailed me like 4 times even though I haven't responded so far, hence why I'm thinking of formulating a response.

There are good and otherwise well-meaning researchers in Facebook AI. But I think they're all wrong to work for such an awful company. You can get decent paying jobs elsewhere doing AI pretty easily these days, you don't need to empower such a terrible business to do good AI work. Unless Facebook undergoes a massive change in business practices, I refuse to work for them.

You're making the AI so you can secretly make it so the AI sabotages the company and get paid to do it!

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You're making the AI so you can secretly make it so the AI sabotages the company and get paid to do it!

I realize this is a joke, but to be more serious, any large scale AI project requires many people working on it. The lone rogue scientist who does everything and adds special secret protocols only exists in sci fi. There's basically no world in which working for Facebook will allow you to do more good than working elsewhere.