The original ‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ creators just quit the Netflix show

Jason

Well, I dunno about all that nonsense... but we just watched this series as a family and wow, was this some quality stuff.

It really was a fantastic show. We all loved it. Looking forward to Legend of Korra which hits Netflix any day now I believe.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

It’s almost like this story definitely doesn’t need to be remade as live action.

I know. I was interested knowing the original creators were behind it. More so to see what they could do these days with proper CGI, comedy and casting. But honestly given the huge fandom, I really wish they would make the comics into new cartoon seasons.

2 hours ago, ort said:

Well, I dunno about all that nonsense... but we just watched this series as a family and wow, was this some quality stuff.

It really was a fantastic show. We all loved it. Looking forward to Legend of Korra which hits Netflix any day now I believe.

The Legend of Korra is even better (IMHO - some fans were very turned off), so enjoy!

These two guys have fought for their artistic vision and integrity since day one, and after the M. Night debacle, they aren't ever making the same mistake twice I imagine. 

Watching it you could feel the passion and vision of the creators shining through the whole show. It was fun since it was obvious that they were influenced by all exact same nerdy stuff I grew up on.

From what I've gathered about what people don't like about Korra... I don't think any of it is going to bother me in the slightest.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:12 PM, Greatoneshere said:

The Legend of Korra is even better (IMHO - some fans were very turned off), so enjoy!

These two guys have fought for their artistic vision and integrity since day one, and after the M. Night debacle, they aren't ever making the same mistake twice I imagine. 

Second season killed any interest I had in Korra

1 hour ago, ort said:

Watching it you could feel the passion and vision of the creators shining through the whole show. It was fun since it was obvious that they were influenced by all exact same nerdy stuff I grew up on.

From what I've gathered about what people don't like about Korra... I don't think any of it is going to bother me in the slightest.

I’ve found only two real issues people have with it. And unsurprisingly it’s the same two issues the amazingly toxic nerd culture has with everything 

1) It’s different than what they had before

2) It’s hero is a woman

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Season two was weak but season 3 was better than anything else in Avatar or Korra so . . . :p 

I think season 2 was my least favorite of the 4 but after a rewatch recently, I actually still really liked it. But yeah, season 3 is insanely good.

18 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Season two was weak but season 3 was better than anything else in Avatar or Korra so . . . :p 

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

I'll probably go back and watch book 3 and 4 eventually, but I think I'll wait awhile so that I don't let my disappointment interfere with my enjoyment of the other seasons.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

I'll probably go back and watch book 3 and 4 eventually, but I think I'll wait awhile so that I don't let my disappointment interfere with my enjoyment of the other seasons.

I don't know what that means - it's a TV show - seasons 3 + 4 don't work without the story building that season 2 mostly is. It's a set up season, and while that makes it worse, there are plenty of payoffs for it later. It's better binged than watched week to week as well.

To me, season 1 of Avatar is also super weak, as it's really intended for children and comes off as such. It took me until season 2 to get into the show (but then it really did win me over). So, I mean, lots of great shows have a weak season here or there but I'd still watch the whole show.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't know what that means - it's a TV show - seasons 3 + 4 don't work without the story building that season 2 mostly is. It's a set up season, and while that makes it worse, there are plenty of payoffs for it later. It's better binged than watched week to week as well.

The best way I can think to explain it is that no matter how good the third season will be, the series overall will be brought down by the second season.

Maybe I'll move it up a little bit, but I still need to finish Dark S2 and 3.

29 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

To me, season 1 of Avatar is also super weak, as it's really intended for children and comes off as such. It took me until season 2 to get into the show (but then it really did win me over). So, I mean, lots of great shows have a weak season here or there but I'd still watch the whole show.

This so hard. People keep acting like S2 is the most awful thing on television. Why exactly? The giant spirit fight at the end? Um Aang turned into a giant water monster and fought off an army. Because Korra's connection to her past lives was severed? Well, that wasn't her fault. And seeing how she deals with it in S3 particularly is what makes her character growth so amazing. In retrospect, I love LOK S2 way more than ATLA S1 for exactly the reason you mentioned. 

And can we talk about the fantastic Avatar Wan story? 2 of my favorite episodes ever. 

And if anyone brings up the stupid idea that the turtles granting the energy to bend retcons the story of the "original benders" in ATLA, it doesn't! It's not like the moon came down and taught people to water bend or badger moles held classes on earth bending. The turtles gave humans the energy to bend and humans learned and mastered their bending by watching the "original benders". It's really not that hard to understand.

edit: Forgot to mention that Korra opening the spirit portal and it's repercussions on the world are one of my favorite things about S3-4. Tenzin's pep talk to her about it makes me so happy too.

10 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

This so hard. People keep acting like S2 is the most awful thing on television. Why exactly? The giant spirit fight at the end? Um Aang turned into a giant water monster and fought off an army. Because Korra's connection to her past lives was severed? Well, that wasn't her fault. And seeing how she deals with it in S3 particularly is what makes her character growth so amazing. In retrospect, I love LOK S2 way more than ATLA S1 for exactly the reason you mentioned. 

And can we talk about the fantastic Avatar Wan story? 2 of my favorite episodes ever. 

And if anyone brings up the stupid idea that the turtles granting the energy to bend retcons the story of the "original benders" in ATLA, it doesn't! It's not like the moon came down and taught people to water bend or badger moles held classes on earth bending. The turtles gave humans the energy to bend and humans learned and mastered their bending by watching the "original benders". It's really not that hard to understand.

Yeah, pretty much all of this. I don't remember Korra getting hate when it was coming out - I thought everyone pretty much universally loved the show (season 2 complaints happened of course, even then). Especially after season 3 - any Studio Nir helmed episode also always looked so good. It's only been since the show's release that there's been a particular group of fans who now dislike it. Strange.

1 hour ago, NeoJoe said:

edit: Forgot to mention that Korra opening the spirit portal and it's repercussions on the world are one of my favorite things about S3-4. Tenzin's pep talk to her about it makes me so happy too.

I wouldn't put it in the same boat as like Game of Thrones S7/8 bad, but I think it does have some downfalls.

Unalaq is a terrible villain

Korra get written into the same scenario of where she gets hot headed, goes against the people who are trying to help her, and she ends up in a terrible situation.

The final 2 (maybe 3 don't really remember) episodes feel like I'm watching a Billy Mays commercial, "but wait there's more!" About to seal Vaatu, stopped, get the upper hand, lose the avatar spirit, turn into a giant kaiju, lose that fight, avatar spirit lives, finally defeat unalaq.

Side stories kind of get pushed aside and jump around a lot.

I thought the first season had a really unique dynamic with the non-energy bending movement and civil unrest. You have this backwoods type character coming into a big city to solve enormous problems and it all just kind of fizzles out after Amon get outed as a bender. You and Great have referenced how well S2 sets up S3, but I felt like there was no fallout from S1. As far as I recall they don't really do anything for non-benders or bridging that divide.

Wan's episodes were fun. I'm not personally enthralled with how the Avatar is explained. ATLA felt like everything was about harmony and balance between the elements and the introduction of Raava/Vaatu make it feel like its just light vs dark. One cannot exist without the other, but Vaatu has no redeeming qualities. There is no balance to be struck between them its literally just good vs evil.

Lion-turtles is not a complain I have.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, pretty much all of this. I don't remember Korra getting hate when it was coming out - I thought everyone pretty much universally loved the show (season 2 complaints happened of course, even then). Especially after season 3 - any Studio Nir helmed episode also always looked so good. It's only been since the show's release that there's been a particular group of fans who now dislike it. Strange.

I didn't watch Avatar or Korra upon original broadcasts. Nor am I really frequent on peoples opinions of the series. I, for the most part, watched both series in the dark.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I thought season 2 was right up there with the others? I dunno.

Overall I think I liked Avatar more than Korra. It felt fresher and more unique. I think the characters overall worked better. That's not me complaining about Korra, which I also thought was great, but after watching both pretty much back to back, you see a lot of the same themes and patterns repeat over and over so it's possible that it just got a little repetitive. I liked how in Avatar they spent so much time with the villains... I felt like they did a better job with that in Avatar than in Korra.

You really felt for Zuko and Iroh, and seeing the main group travel through the Fire Kingdom and see that it's full of normal people who are also suffering was a great thing to put in a show for children. Korra also played with these themes, but everything was a little more black and white. Avatar felt more like one big story while Korra felt more like 4 stories that connected together. After the big Unalaq fight, the next two villains felt kind of anti-climatic. I liked Zaheer a lot as a bad guy, but I never really understood his motivations. His big plan never really made sense to me. Kavira seemed to just come out of nowhere and was a weird choice for final big bad on the show.

Oh, and that so called lesbian relationship was such weak sauce... oh, hey, it's the last minute of the series... let's have them hold hands and look at each other. Either do it or don't... what they did came out of nowhere and made no sense. You wouldn't even read it as a lesbian thing unless you knew it was supposed to be. It felt completely tacked on... and to make it clear, I'm annoyed they didn't have the guts to actually go for it... I'm not complaining they did it.

Anyway, these are nitpick complaints. Overall both shows get two huge thumbs up from me.