Massive Salmonella outbreak sweeps US, Canada. Nearly 900 sickened so far

Outbreak spans 43 US states and 7 Canadian provinces. Cases are expected to rise.

An outbreak of Salmonella infections linked to tainted onions has mushroomed in North America. So far, the outbreak has sickened 879 people, hospitalizing 114 across 43 US states and seven Canadian provinces.

The tainted onions were shipped to wholesalers, restaurants, and grocery stores across Canada as well as in all 50 US states and the District of Columbia. Affected stores include Walmart, Kroger, Fred Meyer, Publix, Giant Eagle, Food Lion, and H-E-B. The onions were sold under brand names: Thomson Premium, TLC Thomson International, Tender Loving Care, El Competitor, Hartley’s Best, Onions 52, Majestic, Imperial Fresh, Kroger, Utah Onions, and Food Lion.

Maybe I've just never looked close enough but I literally couldn't tell you the brand of a single onion I've ever purchased, let alone realized that this information is available anywhere on an onion.

I had dinner at a local spot last night (Venezuelan, if it makes a difference)  and had a little side salad with onions. Ate a couple tiny leaf cuts before I remembered about the outbreak. Woke up at one with stomach cramps and had to shit bad. Fortunately woke up on the morning feeling okay, probably digestion issues from the awesomely fatty ribeye. Totally worth it.