'Roseanne' spinoff 'The Conners' will premiere in the fall without Roseanne Barr

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/roseanne-spinoff-connors-premier-fall-abc/story?id=56075443

On Thursday, the network announced that much of the cast of "Roseanne," including John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Lecy Goranson and Michael Fishman, are set to reprise their iconic roles in the new show, currently named "The Conners" as a working title.

Roseanne Barr will have no financial or creative involvement in the new series, according to the network.

"The Connners" will air on Tuesdays at 8 p.m.

In a joint statement, the announced cast members of the spinoff said they have received a “tremendous amount of support” from fans.

“We have received a tremendous amount of support from fans of our show, and it’s clear that these characters not only have a place in our hearts, but in the hearts and homes of our audience,” the statement read. “We all came back last season because we wanted to tell stories about the challenges facing a working-class family today. We are so happy to have the opportunity to return with the cast and crew to continue to share those stories through love and laughter.”

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

That's good news for the rest of the cast. Although, do the rest of the kids even have the name Conner anymore? I thought they all got married. I guess the DJ would still be a Conner.

I think you're taking the title too literally. :p

7 hours ago, Gavin King said:

... How would Roseanne have no financial involvement? I would assume she would still get something as a creator of the original show with these characters.

Presumably part of the negotiations to make this happen was getting her to relinquish her stake. 

9 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

So another show to be quickly canceled and forgotten eh.

I would guess that maybe its first few episodes will have decent buzz due to Roseanne's departure and people wanting to see in what direction the show goes without her, but yeah... I can't see this lasting all that long. 

Enjoyed the reboot (or new season depending on how you state it) Finally got around and watched the last episode.  Since it left off with her going in for surgery best guess as to the outcome for the writers to take.  Rather interesting that you see Roseanne praying to make it through the surgery.  Really don't like any other comedy currently on and even for the last several years.  Glad to see at least in some form they are getting another season.

On 6/22/2018 at 7:18 AM, Bacon said:

That's good news for the rest of the cast. Although, do the rest of the kids even have the name Conner anymore? I thought they all got married. I guess the DJ would still be a Conner.

Becky's husband died, and Darlene divorced David. I don't think they went into enough detail in the new season to know for sure what name they go by, but it wouldn't be a big stretch to say they're both Conners.

On 6/24/2018 at 1:20 AM, 2user1cup said:

Call it Two Hicks and a Corndog 

The Conners aren't hicks.....they're white trash. Get it right :p 

2 hours ago, Wild said:

Roseanne is already trying to the couch and water bottle apology tour, with the tears and everything. Didn't her agent tell her that you have to lay low for a while before you try to rehab your image?

I find myself conflicted in that I find some of the remorse Roseanne has shown to be more sincere than you're typical "I am sorry if anyone was offended" boilerplate stuff. But then she still goes off on crazy Twitter rants, so how sorry can you really be if you continue the behavior(even if not quite as blatantly racist). You know what's easier than going on a redemption tour, and apologizing for the stuff you did? Shutting down the damn Twitter account the moment your series got rebooted in the first place. I remain convinced the cancellation was as much, if not more, about Roseanne's comments and actions before the show came back. She should have appreciated that it was a minor miracle that the show ever got green lit in the first place since she had a dozen or more Tweets in her back catalog that were enough to get a show cancelled.

8 hours ago, JVC920 said:

Enjoyed the reboot (or new season depending on how you state it) Finally got around and watched the last episode.  Since it left off with her going in for surgery best guess as to the outcome for the writers to take.  Rather interesting that you see Roseanne praying to make it through the surgery.  Really don't like any other comedy currently on and even for the last several years.  Glad to see at least in some form they are getting another season.

I am glad the cast and crew get another chance, but it's hard to see Roseanne without Roseanne.

On 6/25/2018 at 1:05 PM, Wild said:

Roseanne is already trying to the couch and water bottle apology tour, with the tears and everything. Didn't her agent tell her that you have to lay low for a while before you try to rehab your image?

To be honest, she has a very short window to she needs to rehab her image. If the show launches without her, and it does well, she's forever gone. She needs to gain forgiveness (whatever that means) and then bounce back onto the show right before it's going to be taken off the air for ratings so she can "save" the show by returning after her "rehabilitation".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/roseanne-barr-doesn-t-want-to-be-paid-for-roseanne-spinoff/ar-AAzmb5e?ocid=AMZN

In a new interview with Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, the sitcom star said, "I didn't ask to be paid off, I asked for nothing, and I just stepped away … because that is penance. I put a lot of thought into it."

Roseanne's self-titled show was canceled in the wake of her racist tweet scandal. In her new chat, she expressed regret about how the cancelation affected Jayden Rey, the young girl who played her granddaughter.

"She loved me and I loved her," Roseanne said. "And I did not want her … to not have a job, because she's great. And I did not want her to think that badly of Jewish people and me in specifically."

Yeah, I can't see this lasting. Roseanne is most likely a despicable person in real life, but her character (and Goodman) were the glue that held the show together.  I imagine that I'm going to eye roll at however they write her out.

They should just do a few of those 'New Becky/Old Becky' style 4'th wall breaks and have Kathy Bates replace Roseanne. I think she's a little older, but she could pull it off. I'd watch that.

But anywho, I'll watch this until it gets canned.

7 hours ago, Derek said:

Yeah, I can't see this lasting. Roseanne is most likely a despicable person in real life, but her character (and Goodman) were the glue that held the show together.  I imagine that I'm going to eye roll at however they write her out.

They should just do a few of those 'New Becky/Old Becky' style 4'th wall breaks and have Kathy Bates replace Roseanne. I think she's a little older, but she could pull it off. I'd watch that.

But anywho, I'll watch this until it gets canned.

Just use Candice Bergen

6141_FAAA-_F4_F8-4_E93-94_C1-7_F837_E047

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed the revival of the show although it definitley gave off the early 90's vibes in egards to production.   Modern Family, Blackish and Fresh Off the Boat are good, but they tend to take the comedy a bit too far into places of unreal-ism..almost more spoof than parody.  

I don't know how this will fare...it would be better if J.Gallecki came onto the show more full time...to provide a better framework. I think this is TBBT's 12th season?   Yeah John Goodman plays off Roseanne Barr...but he's a good enough actor to not need her and the ensemble cast has more than enough build up to carry the show.

When Ritter died on 8 Simple Rules...they only had one season under their belts....then they had to bring in characters to fill in the gaps....same thing with 2 and a half men..they had to bring in Kutcher to replace Sheen to build out the cast.  

2 hours ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

I enjoyed the revival of the show although it definitley gave off the early 90's vibes in egards to production.   Modern Family, Blackish and Fresh Off the Boat are good, but they tend to take the comedy a bit too far into places of unreal-ism..almost more spoof than parody.  

I don't know how this will fare...it would be better if J.Gallecki came onto the show more full time...to provide a better framework. I think this is TBBT's 12th season?   Yeah John Goodman plays off Roseanne Barr...but he's a good enough actor to not need her and the ensemble cast has more than enough build up to carry the show.

When Ritter died on 8 Simple Rules...they only had one season under their belts....then they had to bring in characters to fill in the gaps....same thing with 2 and a half men..they had to bring in Kutcher to replace Sheen to build out the cast.  

Kevin can Wait tried it by killing off the mother after the first season to be replaced by Leah Remini but that got cancelled after season two.

4 minutes ago, Wild said:

@Spork3245

It would have been amazing if they pulled a Becky and just swapped Bergen into the role. :lol:

The season ended with her planning to go in for knee surgery with basically insurance fraud from a flood pay-out via FEMA ("I'll collect x amount then do the work myself for a quarter of that!"). They can say with the extra money she got some plastic surgery and also got her vocal cords fixed to no longer have such a shrieking voice. :p 

36 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The season ended with her planning to go in for knee surgery with basically insurance fraud from a flood pay-out via FEMA ("I'll collect x amount then do the work myself for a quarter of that!"). They can say with the extra money she got some plastic surgery and also got her vocal cords fixed to no longer have such a shrieking voice. :p 

Obummer put her in a FEMA camp for defrauding FEMA. :s

19 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Or just have it done accidentally because the docs swapped the charts.

• 1 month later...