Update: TikTok acquired by...Oracle(?!?)

If this Oracle deal is sufficient to solve the Administration's complaints about TikTok, then I guess I understand their grievances even less than I thought.

As far as we can tell, Oracle won't get operational say in TikTok. It won't get to review source code. It won't break American TikTok out from the rest of the world. It seems like Oracle is a glorified hosting provider playing the role of either middle management or babysitter. If there were legitimate concerns about TikTok (which I don't expect there were), I don't see how this deal would cure them.

Still, it seems like the expectation is that this deal is sufficient. We don't have confirmation on that yet, but if we assume it's true, I just don't see the point in all this.

6 hours ago, TwinIon said:

If this Oracle deal is sufficient to solve the Administration's complaints about TikTok, then I guess I understand their grievances even less than I thought.

As far as we can tell, Oracle won't get operational say in TikTok. It won't get to review source code. It won't break American TikTok out from the rest of the world. It seems like Oracle is a glorified hosting provider playing the role of either middle management or babysitter. If there were legitimate concerns about TikTok (which I don't expect there were), I don't see how this deal would cure them.

Still, it seems like the expectation is that this deal is sufficient. We don't have confirmation on that yet, but if we assume it's true, I just don't see the point in all this.

My guess is that this wouldn't normally be sufficient. However, selling this tiny portion of TikTok to a company Trump is a fan of may be enough for Trump to declare victory and move on.

2 hours ago, SlipperySlope said:

Facebook Instagram Reels has become people reposting other people's tiktoks as their own

A Facebook video service being used to steal content from other creators? Well, I never.

38 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Why

Multiple countries have concluded that the app/company is a security threat.  It's been banned in India, and I believe Japan is considering a similar move as well.  

If it is a threat, then it needs to be treated as one.  Simply housing tiktok data on Oracle servers will do nothing to improve that aspect.

11 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Multiple countries have concluded that the app/company is a security threat.  It's been banned in India, and I believe Japan is considering a similar move as well.  

If it is a threat, then it needs to be treated as one.  Simply housing tiktok data on Oracle servers will do nothing to improve that aspect.

So I haven't been following this like you have, apparently. What security threat is it that tiktok poses? 

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

We do have the ability to change their data practices, we'd rather just not because it would impact FB, Twitter, google, etc

1 minute ago, chakoo said:

TikTok is no bigger a security threat then FB's empire, or Apple or Google or Amazon.... The issue is countries don't trust that they can reign or control the platform due to it's parent company being chinese.

You're probably right.  I'm not sure if things have changed in the last few years, but at the last Naval facility I worked at in NYS, absolutely no electronics were allowed in - including cellphones, ipods, smart watches, etc.  They were worried about espionage I'm assuming. 

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

You're probably right.  I'm not sure if things have changed in the last few years, but at the last Naval facility I worked at in NYS, absolutely no electronics were allowed in - including cellphones, ipods, smart watches, etc.  They were worried about espionage I'm assuming. 

With good reason. A freaking health app mapped out a base

1472.png?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Data about exercise routes shared online by soldiers can be used to pinpoint overseas facilities

17 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

You don't need to ban TikTok in the entire country to keep military personnel and government employees from using it. Just threaten to revoke people's clearances if they get caught using it.

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

You don't need to ban TikTok in the entire country to keep military personnel and government employees from using it. Just threaten to revoke people's clearances if they get caught using it.

Even for US citizen data, there are absolutely ways to prevent PII/CSI from being directly requested/transmitted to the PRC. My company is in the process of being aquired by a Chinese firm and without getting into too many details, it's extremely difficult for us to view a single persons PII/CSI, let alone bulk/aggregate PII/CSI, and there are several layers of monitoring and oversight into this by not only our board but by the federal government as well.

Apparently Trump's claiming that Oracle's agreed to pay $5 billion into some sort of education fund to pay for the Teach That Slavery Was Good Actually program or whatever that he announced last week. Guessing that this is one of those things that he just kind of invented on the spot and won't actually materialize, but who knows.

• Confused 2