Update: TikTok acquired by...Oracle(?!?)

Just now, Jason said:

No it's always been about Trump being pissed people used TikTok to organize embarrassing him at his Tulsa Klan rally. 

I don't understand why people are expressing surprise that Oracle only has a minority stake in the company.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

I don't understand why people are expressing surprise that Oracle only has a minority stake in the company.

We're not? It was just initially confusing because all the reporting made it seem like Trump wanted the entire US operation sold off. 

Just now, Jason said:

We're not? It was just initially confusing because all the reporting made it seem like Trump wanted the entire US operation sold off. 

I dunno, this whole thing was always about user information. Microsoft just tried to get cute and buy the whole company.

48 minutes ago, Joe said:

Seems like QUITE the stretch.

Why would it be? This entire fire sale is only happening because of this administration, so why wouldn't ByteDance factor in potential administration approval? This is the best case scenario for them. Sell off only their US cloud infrastructure to a company on good terms with the White House. This allows ByteDance to get away with not selling full control of TikTok to another company and keep everything under one roof other than management of their US backend. We still don't know if this will actually work, but I have a sinking suspicion it will. I also don't believe this would have worked out if, say, Amazon or any company not on friendly terms with the White House had made the same offer.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Pandas > SQL. Ugh, I really have to take the time to learn SQL.

The great thing about SQL is that all versions are pretty much the same. I use T-SQL (Microsoft version) at work, while my colleague is more familiar with MySQL. There's only really a few syntax things that differ, and it's a very useful query language.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The great thing about SQL is that all versions are pretty much the same. I use T-SQL (Microsoft version) at work, while my colleague is more familiar with MySQL. There's only really a few syntax things that differ, and it's a very useful query language.

Yeah I'm in a data science bootcamp right now and they say the number one complaint they get from employers is that their students aren't as well-versed with SQL as they should be.

30 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The processes I work with use oracle and pgadmin for different processes using the exact same data and the biggest meaningful difference I've found thus far is the pgadmin system was set up using a different naming convention, I assume to single me out and make me angry.

But yeah, sql is easy once you know one well enough, the rest are just a quick primer away from being useful to you, as they all should be compliant with standards. But select * from schema.table is pretty universal!

39 minutes ago, Joe said:

Wait, what? Ever heard of webscraping or API's?

Obviously, but the point is that SQL often feeds into a python/pandas scripts that easily work with other tools in the python ecosystem. For that reason, pandas and sql are apples and oranges! There are sometimes similar functions and capabilities, but to my knowledge you can't really query a relational database without sql! Even the pandas read_sql_query function requires you to write a domain/database specific sql statement in order to use it.

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Obviously, but the point is that SQL often feeds into a python/pandas scripts that easily work with other tools in the python ecosystem. For that reason, pandas and sql are apples and oranges! There are sometimes similar functions and capabilities, but to my knowledge you can't really query a relational database without sql! Even the pandas read_sql_query function requires you to write a domain/database specific sql statement in order to use it.

I wasn't trying to downplay the importance of SQL. I even mentioned its importance. Just stating what I'm more comfortable using atm since I have only been doing this for 40 days.

14 minutes ago, Joe said:

I wasn't trying to downplay the importance of SQL. I even mentioned its importance. Just stating what I'm more comfortable using atm since I have only been doing this for 40 days.

Makes sense in that context. You can do a whole lot of interesting things, a lot more quickly, with python/pandas than you can with just running sql queries