Update: TikTok acquired by...Oracle(?!?)

As I mention in another thread, this is very dangerous and damaging. It needs to be legally challenged by other parts of the government or it will set a damaging president. Already china is already looking to possibly retaliate against tech companies in china including MS.

5 minutes ago, chakoo said:

As I mention in another thread, this is very dangerous and damaging. It needs to be legally challenged by other parts of the government or it will set a damaging president. Already china is already looking to possibly retaliate against tech companies in china including MS.

But Trump will be able to crow how he got a bigly cut of the aborted deal for the Treasury, Microsoft's landlord! 

33 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Wonder if this is relevant when it comes to political advertising on Facebook

When was the last time Zuck spoke to anyone in the White House?

I would say Reels will flop, but I thought the same about Instagram stories and it obviously didn't.

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Um, doesn't tencent invest heavily in us tech and gaming companies?

Yes. I initially was going to make a comparison that what trump is doing would be like him coming in and demanding Epic must sell off any foreign own investments to a US entity or be shutdown. Well now I don't need to make that comparison because it's already fucking happened.

:dumpster_fire:

https://www.pcgamer.com/every-game-company-that-tencent-has-invested-in/ <- this is out of date even

2 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

It sounded like Mnuchin had talked Trump out of this as of a couple of days ago, so I wonder who Trump's talked to since then. Honestly, just brazenly taking a bribe from Facebook probably makes the most sense out of anything.

The bribe is bugs that favor Trump on FB/Insta 

23 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

It sounded like Mnuchin had talked Trump out of this as of a couple of days ago, so I wonder who Trump's talked to since then. Honestly, just brazenly taking a bribe from Facebook probably makes the most sense out of anything.

I bet Peter Navarro is the instigator.  He despises Chy-nah.

On 8/7/2020 at 1:26 PM, Jason said:

wDcdp5c.jpg

o4VeJZk.jpg

Not having Facebook is nice. Also, I do appreciate that Twitter allows me to run the app with all permissions set to disabled. The only thing I allow Twitter to do is shoot me notifications.

One thing I saw mentioned elsewhere but not here was that this ban could really kill Apple's entire Chinese market. Android-based phones, even those made by Google, can always just sideload apps like Tiktok and WeChat. Since Apple controls the entire ecosystem, that won't be possible. We're about to see two of the most popular apps in the China just stop working on every iPhone in the country.

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

One thing I saw mentioned elsewhere but not here was that this ban could really kill Apple's entire Chinese market. Android-based phones, even those made by Google, can always just sideload apps like Tiktok and WeChat. Since Apple controls the entire ecosystem, that won't be possible. We're about to see two of the most popular apps in the China just stop working on every iPhone in the country.

This ban won't because that is not how either of these companies work. WeChat due to WePay is tied in with banks with china for all transactions, far as I know you can't do any transaction in the app anymore without a chinese bank account. Second TikTok does not run/exist in china. Due to the nature of how china is, when TikTok creator ByteDance was looking to bring Douyin (The platform in china) to the west, they spun up a clone of the platform which is TikTok.  So TT shutting down has no direct impact on Douyin in china.