Genshin Impact (28 September 2020) - Information Thread, update: estimated first-year revenue between $2.3 billion and $3.7 billion (highest of all time)

Pikachu

• 5 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

It's a shitty gacha game with fucking stamina mechanics. Imagine playing BotW but you run out of stamina so you can't do missions for the rest of the day unless you pay real money.

Is this real?  Looked kinda interesting but if it's using those mobile game F2P mechanics in this, then F that 

If it's like most gacha games on the market right now, the stamina system is practically close to unlimited unless you're playing all day every day. I'm more worried about how much power is hidden behind ridiculously low-probability RNG. I'll check it out though. 

2 minutes ago, Rev said:

If it's like most gacha games on the market right now, the stamina system is practically close to unlimited unless you're playing all day every day. I'm more worried about how much power is hidden behind ridiculously low-probability RNG. I'll check it out though. 

The level 5 dungeon this guy was doing costs 20 Stamina Turds. He had a hard cap of 90 Stamina Turds. That was the lowest level dungeon he could do.

It will not be anywhere near infinite.

Also, the paid refill would only give him 60 Stamina Turds, and subsequent ones would cost more money. Fucking brilliant.

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

The level 5 dungeon this guy was doing costs 20 Stamina Turds. He had a hard cap of 90 Stamina Turds. That was the lowest level dungeon he could do.

It will not be anywhere near infinite.

Also, the paid refill would only give him 60 Stamina Turds, and subsequent ones would cost more money. Fucking brilliant.

If it's like the other main gacha rpgs right now, it'll still be very generous. Usually the way it works is, as you're leveling up, the game throws a ton of free energy at you until you end up with a massive surplus. And your stamina cap goes up as you level as well. Usually there's a secondary currency for buying stamina which the game throws at you too. I watched a short video on this game and it seems like that's the case here too. There's an item called Fragile Resin that restores 60 energy and the game gives you those as a reward for various content/quests. When gacha rpgs first came around, eg, with Summoners War, they were super stingy with the energy/stamina but the philosophy has shifted some. But, again, I'm not really sure how this game will be.

unknown.png

As an example, this is one of the main gachas I'm playing right now. The green leaf at the top is an energy refill and the horse/knight icon is my stamina/energy. It's basically always way over the cap unless I'm grinding super hard for something specific but I never really run out of leaves. I play a couple other of the main popular gacha rpgs too and they're about the same.

As far as I'm concerned, it existing is all the proof I need it isn't 'generous' as the purpose of these systems is to make money. I'll cut my fucking lips off before I get into some shitty stamina system. They can take those shitty systems right back to Asia and shove them up their asses.

I think stamina systems encourage developers to develop their games in such a way that makes them overall less fun and interesting. i.e. having this mission select system, which I think is antiquated trash on its own, and is way worse when you've got limits in place.

voC8xE2.png

Just everything about this screen reminds me of F2P trash mobile games. The 6 missions with the identical names but only different level requirements, the randomized "possible" rewards, even the recommended elements you see in literally every F2P gacha game. The stamina cost, the lazy, tiny description, it all feels so very focused on things I don't care about when I play video games. With a game like this, I just want to explore the world with some friends and run into dungeons and stuff, not go on these tiered bullshit mobile missions.

I think mobile developers make the most cancerous and unfun mechanics of any developers by far, this trash bleeding into bigger games is a huge disappointment for me personally.

On 9/27/2020 at 12:22 AM, Rev said:

If it's like the other main gacha rpgs right now, it'll still be very generous. Usually the way it works is, as you're leveling up, the game throws a ton of free energy at you until you end up with a massive surplus. And your stamina cap goes up as you level as well. Usually there's a secondary currency for buying stamina which the game throws at you too. I watched a short video on this game and it seems like that's the case here too. There's an item called Fragile Resin that restores 60 energy and the game gives you those as a reward for various content/quests. When gacha rpgs first came around, eg, with Summoners War, they were super stingy with the energy/stamina but the philosophy has shifted some. But, again, I'm not really sure how this game will be.

Never thought I'd see people defending this kind of trash. Stop spending money so this horrible anti-consumer bullshit can die and be buried. I hope the heads of these studios develop severe hemorrhoids, just as they are the hemorrhoids on the ass of society.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You know it's funny this turned out to be a gatcha game. That show Sony showed it at they must have been thirsty to show anything. They showed that stolen game that the devs all quit on and then they show this gatcha game too.

What horse shit is this. It's a ps4 game. Sony is also trying to foster growing game development in china (which tends to skew to mobile gacha or PC or farm work for Japanese studios) into making their own console games. It's also coming to other platforms. 

3 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Never thought I'd see people defending this kind of trash. Stop spending money so this horrible anti-consumer bullshit can die and be buried. I hope the heads of these studios develop severe hemorrhoids, just as they are the hemorrhoids on the ass of society.

What money am I spending?

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You know it's funny this turned out to be a gatcha game. That show Sony showed it at they must have been thirsty to show anything. They showed that stolen game that the devs all quit on and then they show this gatcha game too.

Was the developers ever forward about them selling stamina points before release?  Most games like this try to hide it behind the curtain until as late as possible.  They know it's bad, so its kept under wraps.

Oh, and playing this off as a desperation move by Sony is pretty out of touch.  All three console manufactuers have a history of promoting games with sleazy mtx models.  I don't think they care.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

Oh, and playing this off as a desperation move by Sony is pretty out of touch.  All three console manufactuers have a history of promoting games with sleazy mtx models.  I don't think they care.

I'm talking about how this is literally a mobile game that you can play on your console and they had a showcase for it.

17 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm talking about how this is literally a mobile game that you can play on your console and they had a showcase for it.

Tons of modern games see releases on mobile (first) that also get promoted by the console manufactures.  I'm really struggling to see your point here, unless this is about mtx.

From a visual standpoint, it looks better than any Tales Of game that's currently out.

Well, decided to give it a shot to maybe see if it was actually a brilliant game with unfortunate BS mobile mechanics.

But I didn't even beat the tutorial because it has a high pitched mascot fairy who absolutely will not shut the fuck up and talks in third-person. I mean, I've played JRPGs all my life but this was annoying in a way I don't think I've experienced before. On the face of it I guess it wasn't too different from some more of the low-tier JRPGs I've seen, but she just went on and on and on and on and then you get to the combat which was very basic and enemies seem to take just 2-3 hits too many right out of the gate and I was just so done with it.

It's a shame, if it was just an open world MMO-lite-style game I'd be totally down. The art style is nice, and they even put their little ads out at 60 FPS so they seem to value performance (even though the game only supports 30 or 60 FPS locked) but then even before you start futzing with the shop or stamina or anything you the cracks start to show, like turning vsync from "Open" to "Closed." The localization team really couldn't catch that? It's on any option that deals with turning something on or off.

If those were the only issues I guess it could just be me being nitpicky, but knowing that it's this annoying from the get-go and then comes the stamina system and gacha bullshit, both of which I despise, I just can't do it man. I'm all for games being similar to good Zelda titles, but not like this. Build me a real game, not a mobile game pretending to be a big boy title.

On 10/7/2020 at 11:08 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Oh man Lacari is playing that? Oh lawd!

Please, pleeeeease somebody tell me he was bank-rolled by this publisher to spend that ridiculous amount of money and then act stupid when he finally got what he paid a ridiculous amount of money for. It's like that shitty NBA 2K trailer from last year.

4 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Please, pleeeeease somebody tell me he was bank-rolled by this publisher to spend that ridiculous amount of money and then act stupid when he finally got what he paid a ridiculous amount of money for. It's like that shitty NBA 2K trailer from last year.

I know there are some sponsored streams for the game but I don't think they pay for transactions.

I don't know how popular Lacari is but I do know he plays with AdmrialBulldog so maybe he gets higher than normal income.