‘Captain Marvel 2’ Lands Nia DaCosta as Director

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/captain-marvel-2-nia-dacosta-director-1234726975/

Filmmaker Nia DaCosta, director of the highly anticipated horror reimagining of “Candyman,” will direct “Captain Marvel 2” for Marvel Studios, Variety has confirmed.

DaCosta replaces Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, who helmed 2019’s “Captain Marvel” to a $426.8 million domestic gross, and $1.13 billion worldwide. Brie Larson will return as the titular hero, also known as Carol Danvers, from a script by Megan McDonnell, a story editor on Marvel Studios’ upcoming Disney Plus series “WandaVision.”

DaCosta is the fourth woman, and the first Black woman, to direct a Marvel Studios picture, following Boden, Cate Shortland (“Black Widow”), and Chloé Zhao (“Eternals”), part of Marvel Studios’ continued push for broader inclusion in its top creative positions.

Great choice, though her first film Little Woods was very divisive. Critics loved the film but audiences did not like it much at all. I'm interested in the rebooted Candyman, so we'll see - if that turns out good too then there's hope.

It's a shame since the first film also had a great pair of directors and that movie came out pretty average. I've only ever seen it once, in theaters, and unlike a lot of MCU films, I have no real interest in returning to it. It wasn't bad, just felt like more of the same origin story stuff we've seen MCU-style over and over again. I mean, is anyone rewatching Captain Marvel with any frequency?

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It wasn't bad, just felt like more of the same origin story stuff we've seen MCU-style over and over again.

I think people would have been raving about it if it'd been a Phase 1 movie. I feel like it handled the balance between action and origin story stuff way better than basically any of the Phase 1 movies, which I felt were all seriously lacking in the action department. Like with the first Thor movie, where the climax of the movie action-wise comes in the first five minutes with the Ice Giants fight.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's a shame since the first film also had a great pair of directors and that movie came out pretty average. I've only ever seen it once, in theaters, and unlike a lot of MCU films, I have no real interest in returning to it. It wasn't bad, just felt like more of the same origin story stuff we've seen MCU-style over and over again. I mean, is anyone rewatching Captain Marvel with any frequency?

I thought it was a pretty average movie, standard origin story (stories?) that leaned a bit too much on nostalgia to carry it. The whole thing felt like a set up for the second movie.

15 hours ago, Jason said:

I think people would have been raving about it if it'd been a Phase 1 movie. I feel like it handled the balance between action and origin story stuff way better than basically any of the Phase 1 movies, which I felt were all seriously lacking in the action department. Like with the first Thor movie, where the climax of the movie action-wise comes in the first five minutes with the Ice Giants fight.

Comparing it to Phase 1 movies is unfair - the formula Captain Marvel steals from wholesale over and over again are the standard MCU origin story template/formula used by the MCU previously. There's no question it's an improvement over Phase 1, but that's not surprising, it should be. But it still felt pretty bog standard. The best measure is how often are people rewatching this vs. Winter Soldier or Civil War? None of these movies will ever be Dunkirk or Logan or The Dark Knight, so the MCU's primary role is as pure blockbuster entertainment and rewatchability for the most part and little else.

I also thought Captain Marvel was pretty forgettable. I think it's easily in the bottom 1/4 of the MCU. Nothing terrible, just kinda meh.

END GAME SPOILER

It was funny, because they were acting like her movie was so important for setting all this stuff up for the big finale and I feel like they barely used her at all in End Game. She just kinda shows up and starts blowing crap up. They could have written her out and it would have changed nothing. Just swap in some other Duex Ex Machina at the end.