Hearthstone: The Thread 2.0 - Scholomance Academy Expansion Announced

TheLeon

There's a new set coming, so I thought that the 4 of us who actually play this game could use a new thread to chat about it. :P

The Boomsday Project will launch next Tuesday, August 7th.

135 New Cards

Each class gets a new Legendary minion and a Legendary spell.

New Keyword: Magnetic. Mechs are back! And now you can stick some of them onto others. 

A new theme without a keyword: Omega cards, which have an extra powerful effect that occurs if you have 10 mana crystals. 

Here's a handy Imgur album of the revealed cards (via Reddit) There are some doozies in there.

The final reveal livestream is happening tomorrow, August 1st, at 10AM Pacific. 

On 7/31/2018 at 7:49 PM, Anzo said:

Sorry mate, I quit HS shortly after Witchwood. Just became too addicted to it so I had to say enough. This set looks interesting for sure but not enough to get me back in. Hope you have fun with it!

I totally get it. I don't play as much as I used to, but it's still probably too much. 

How I play has definitely changed though. I'm not all that worried with keeping up with the meta and climbing the ladder anymore. You're more likely to find me around rank 20 wild, doing janky/fun decks like Burgle Rogue. That's why I'm not planning on spending any more money on it. I'll craft a couple fun cards and be done with it.

And there's a chance that I might finally move on and get super into MtG Arena. 

I spent the remainder of gold I had from two months ago on packs, did pretty well with 3 legendaries in 32 packs plus the freebie. Had a bunch of dust so I crafted a golden Whizbang the Wonderful. Now I have all golden heroes and all golden decks that are semi-competitive and ever changing for the next 2 years. Perfect to pick up and play a game every now and again, which is what I’ll be doing with Hearthstone from now on. 

First day I tried out Mech Paladin. I think it did well enough because it was a pretty fast list, but it's not a particularly good deck and horribly unoptimized (as one might expect). I suspect that a smaller mech package will work better than a more all in approach.

Trying out an even shaman variant and it's doing ok.

I'm not sure if it's going to stay in, but I'm running Geist in every deck that it wouldn't hurt me. Just seems like there are a lot of targets out there.

After playing a bit more and watching some streams, I get the feeling that some of these OTK decks are going to get nerfed or banned or something.

I'm watching Firebat consistently pull off Mecha'thun with priest OTK on turn 10 after playing Psychic Stream on turns eight and nine(sometimes 7, 8, and 9 with Shadow Visions). Even against real aggro decks, they end up needing to do something like 15-20 damage from hand, with no board to have any kind of chance, and you can't tech around it.

Then there are all the Druid combo decks with Malygos and Toggwaggle. Toggwaggle in particular feels bad to lose to since you lose your deck. Given how many ramp, draw, and stall tools there are for Druid, even with pretty aggressive decks I've had pretty mixed results. There is probably more room for optimization in the aggro decks than there are in the OTK and combo decks, but I'm not really looking forward to a meta of "who drew their combo first." I like control decks, but things like Toggwaggle and Mecha'thun kinda suck.

This is the first time in Hearthstone history that has a class has three different win conditions, and it's really hard to tell between the three. Druid could be Malygos, they could be Togwaggle, or they could be Mechathun and they all play the same 25 cards. Interesting meta we have here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been playing lots of bad decks this month, not really ranking up. I used a Kangor's Endless Army deck to get to 5 and I have to say that Hunter is quickly becoming my least favorite class to play against. I've had a lot of fun with Deathstalker Rexxar, and I've long thought it was one of the more fun cards in the game, but lately it's just been really annoying. There are just too many poison beasts in particular. I was playing an even shaman and managed to keep board control consistently, but every single turn he could put out a poison minion, maybe with rush, maybe with stealth, and if it wasn't poison, it was lifesteal. Also, if you're playing against it, you have to wait for them to build a beast every turn. I think in general, as much fun as the DKs were, I'll be very happy to see them rotate out of standard. Having that one card completely solo carry you through a very long game is a freaking pain to play against.

• 2 weeks later...

We’re humbled and grateful that so many players have chosen to join us in the Hearthstone Tavern! As our way of saying thank you, we’re throwing a party!

Starting November 7 2018 at 10:00 am PDT through November 10 2018, everyone who logs in will receive six free The Boomsday Project card packs. Then hang out and play with friends to earn up to 500 gold! Everyone* will receive the Celebrate the Players quest which rewards 100 gold when you play a friendly challenge. This celebratory quest is repeatable up to five times—you can even do them all in the same day!—for a total of 500 gold!

• 5 weeks later...

Time to update the thread title.

I'm a terrible deck builder, but my goal was to get to 5 on a home brewed deck, and I did so with this quest discard lock:

Spoiler

### Rumble Discard
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Flame Imp
# 2x (1) Kobold Librarian
# 1x (1) Lakkari Sacrifice
# 2x (1) Soul Infusion
# 2x (1) Soulfire
# 1x (1) The Soularium
# 2x (1) Voidwalker
# 1x (2) Prince Keleseth
# 2x (3) Doubling Imp
# 2x (3) Reckless Diretroll
# 2x (4) Hellfire
# 1x (4) High Priestess Jeklik
# 1x (4) Saronite Chain Gang
# 2x (5) Despicable Dreadlord
# 2x (5) Doomguard
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 2x (6) Soulwarden
# 1x (10) Bloodreaver Gul'dan
# 1x (10) Deathwing

AAECAcn1AgjCBoDHApvLApfTApziAqCAA4+CA/CGAwsw9wS2B84Hwgj3zQLy0AL09wLT+ALWhgOvjQMA

# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I opened High Priestess Jeklik and still had the quest, so this is what I came up with. I don't run many discard effects, but there's only been one game (of ~25) where I went to an end game state and hadn't completed the quest. It's kinda a mid-range deck that uses the quest to close out or compete games that go longer. The deck would be very different if I had Clutchmother Zavas (the 2 mana card that returns to your hand when you discard it), but I don't, so I run Keleseth.

In the right scenarios, Jeklik can really carry games. Even with my limited discard pool, I had a few games where I played 4 or more copies of her. Soulwarden is also key. If any kind of discolock comes back into the meta, it'll be on the back of that card. Especially if you can get a Soulwarden off a Soulwarden, you can create tons of value, but otherwise it just lowers most value loss from discarding vs slower decks.

Now I'm going to try some odd mage since I got a couple of those legendaries.

I'm at that annoying stage of the game where there are a lot of fun decks popping up that I want to try out, but I don't want to craft the cards necessary for them.

I don't have Tyrantus for some of the interesting beast druid decks, I don't have Geddon for some of the elemental mages, I don't have Zavas or Cataclysm for disco lock. So I guess I'll just be playing some bad decks for a bit.

Whoops, kinda forgot about this thread when the new set dropped. What makes me bump it now is the latest set of nerfs, which were announced and applied almost immediately, which was surprising. 

Wild Growth and Nourish both getting hit seems like a huge gut punch to Druid. 

Level Up is now out of the Odd Paladin list... and maybe right into an Even Paladin list? 

The change to Saranite Chain Gang hurts Shudderwock shenanigans (no great loss in my book), but it also hurts hand buffs.

Leeching Poison hurts Kingsbane decks a whole lot, which were apparently a big problem in Wild. 

I'm pretty happy about the nerfs. I honestly didn't think that Druid was that much of a problem at the moment, but I think that changing ramp will really make the class feel different. The biggest blow is to the exact kind of combo decks that I really dislike; Togwaggle, Malygos, etc.

Killing off Shudderwock and Odd Paladin is a relief. It completely upends both ends of the spectrum, the most popular aggro deck and the most popular combo deck. I never crafted Grumble, so I never played the combo Shudder decks, so I can't feel bad about seeing it go.

I'm also glad that Leeching poison got nerfed. I'm sure it's a fun deck to play, but I hate playing against Kingsbane Rogue, and the lifesteel is what made it so gross.

It'll be interesting to see how the meta shakes up, since these nerfs will almost certainly make a bigger impact than the last expansion. While Hunter seems like it's in a dominant place , I think we'll also see a lot more even lock, odd rogue, and even shaman, and maybe cube lock as well.

• 2 months later...

I got back into it recently because I couldn’t stand not having every hero golden. So I’ve been working through the remainder since Decemberish. 20 more wins with Shaman and I’m done! Not sure how much I’ll play after that though. Ladder is super boring but I’m looking forward to the more robust SP stuff. 

Ive hovered between standard and wild. Aggro Kingbane rogue has some good moments but is being countered a lot. Even shaman is still strong in wild but weak in standard. Finished Druid with Togwaggle Druid and Mecha’thun. Hunter with lots of mech Aggro hunter in wild. 

1 hour ago, Anzo said:

I got back into it recently because I couldn’t stand not having every hero golden. So I’ve been working through the remainder since Decemberish. 20 more wins with Shaman and I’m done! Not sure how much I’ll play after that though. Ladder is super boring but I’m looking forward to the more robust SP stuff. 

Ive hovered between standard and wild. Aggro Kingbane rogue has some good moments but is being countered a lot. Even shaman is still strong in wild but weak in standard. Finished Druid with Togwaggle Druid and Mecha’thun. Hunter with lots of mech Aggro hunter in wild. 

After that will be the best time to play! This years set rotation looks like it will actually have an impact on the meta, along with the HoF.

I’ve mostly been playing Wild. Playing a Dude Pally and YSharj Priest. Also been playing a bit of standard. A midrange beast Hunter,  but midrange Hunter is always a thing in standard.

I've been playing less lately because I'm kinda tired of the Deathknights. I'm glad Glenn and Baku are rotating so we won't have even and odd decks forever, but it's the Deathknights that frustrate me more than anything. Easily controlling a midrange Hunter with whatever deck, only to lose to the infinite value of Rexxar always sucked, but it's happened to me so many times now I just hate it. Same goes for Jaina and Gul'dan. I've been collecting my gold for a while now, so I'm ready for the rotation to get me back into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Image list of all the new cards

I'm excited for this expansion, but I'm especially ready for the rotation. And I forgot to bump this thread when they dumped all the Year of the Dragon plans, but I'm also really interested to see how the changes to Arena go. Basically, they'll be rotating the available sets twice per expansion, so we'll be getting some Wild sets mixed in. I've been playing more Arena lately (poorly) so I like the sound of that. 

I'm very ready for the rotation. Death Knights were some of the best things ever added to the game, but I'm so tired of playing against them now.

It certainly seems like secret Paladin is back, but I've never really been good at predicting metas.

One of my favorite fun decks, Tesspionage Rogue might still be viable (at least, as viable as it ever was). I agree that Secret Paladin looks potentially strong. Warlock will probably still have a strong version of zoo. I was a little surprised to see all the Murlocs for Shaman. I'm 100% going to try and make a Silence Priest work again. 

I went to one of the pre-release parties (with Kibler) and got to open my 80 pack. Opened Khadgar, Kalegos, a golden Nozari, Rafaam, Barista Lynchen, and Jepetto Joybuzz. I've got 4k gold to put into packs today. Not really sure what kind of decks I'll start with. Most of those legendaries don't have an obvious deck synergy (like the legendary Murloc or Paladin Secret guy).