Google offers to pay Samsung to kill its competing software ecosytem.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/07/google-wants-samsung-to-kill-bixby-galaxy-app-store/

The funny thing is, it probably would be better for everyone if Samsung did this, but holy shit is this flagrant behavior while you're getting dragged into Congress for antitrust hearings. One of the comments on the article:

It's not like Bixby's presence is diluting the market away from Google right now. Having "competition" that is in no way competitive is just the illusion of such and not actually better for users.

The sad truth is that we live in a strange world where Samsung lowering their own costs by not developing something their users don't want, and improving their phones by not including something their users don't want, is considered anticompetitive and quite possibly illegal. I wonder what the government would actually do here, force Samsung to keep Bixby around?

1 hour ago, Jose said:

I can ignore monopolies this one time if I don't have to ever deal with Bixby again.

I don’t even use android phones but I agree with giving this one a pass if they also do the same thing for amazon devices.

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

Luckily their hardware is mediocre and they rarely let a software project go on past the 4 year mark so the risk of Terminators is minimal.

Cybernetic killbot the size of a jacked up, 6'2 Austrian Governor and still no room for a goddamn micro SD card slot!

angry andy richter GIF by Team Coco

• Like 1

I understand the threat to Google should Bixby or the Samsung app store actually take off, but when you're clearly winning on the merits, why do anything that regulators could seize on?

2 hours ago, ort said:

I wonder when people will warm up to the idea that google today is 10 times more dangerous than Microsoft was in the 90s.

Maybe that's true, but if it is, it's has little to do with Android and far more to do with their control of the web.

18 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I understand the threat to Google should Bixby or the Samsung app store actually take off, but when you're clearly winning on the merits, why do anything that regulators could seize on?

Maybe that's true, but if it is, it's has little to do with Android and far more to do with their control of the web.

I may be totally wrong, but maybe this is more about making the Android experience a little more universal across different phone brands? Like there's no way Google actually sees Bixby as a threat to anything unless Samsung has something tremendous in the works I am not aware of.

17 minutes ago, Joe said:

I may be totally wrong, but maybe this is more about making the Android experience a little more universal across different phone brands? Like there's no way Google actually sees Bixby as a threat to anything unless Samsung has something tremendous in the works I am not aware of.

I would imagine that is has to do with growth rate and such. Samsung makes up the bulk of the high end android market, and a good chunk of it as a whole. Google wants to see better adoption and usage rates for Assistant, but that's difficult when so many of your customers aren't lead to it by default.

They probably think their product would win out in the long term, but when you have a product as important as Assistant, they want to push it as hard as possible while they have a lead.

I previously had a Samsung phone and I thought Android was trash compared to iOS but nope when I switched to LG I learned it was just all of the Samsung junk that is trash </3 Their marketing is fantastic though with all the blunders they have had over the years they still manage to be on top :epilepsy: 

25 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

I previously had a Samsung phone and I thought Android was trash compared to iOS but nope when I switched to LG I learned it was just all of the Samsung junk that is trash </3 Their marketing is fantastic though with all the blunders they have had over the years they still manage to be on top :epilepsy: 

Samsung's software has gotten significantly better since the TouchWiz days.

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I've got a Pixel 3a and it's a great and inexpensive phone.  SInce it's a Google phone, Android is bloated with a bunch of shit on top of it and apps I would never use.  

You mean it isn't? I thought the whole point of Pixels were that they gave you a cleaner Android experience?

10 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I got a Galaxy s5 back in 2014, and I've stuck with Samsung ever since.  Wish I could delete some of the bloatware on it though.

The unremovable bloat load was a lot better on my S10+ than on previous Samsung phones. At this point I'd say the bigger problem is that Samsung should be flexing its muscle like Apple does to keep carrier bloat off their phones, Samsung doesn't need any of the carriers at this point.

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

Two things that keep me from leaving Samsung: Samsung Pay, which only LG offers something comparable, and those curved screens that are sexy af.

MST was a great feature a few years ago, but how often do you still get to use the MST payment? I feel like everywhere I go has NFC payments enabled now.