The Witcher: Blood Origin (live-action prequel miniseries set 1,200 years in the past, Christmas Day 2022) - Official Trailer

• 11 months later...

Cast members announced:

Witcher-Blood-Origin-2.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Brown has been cast in the role of Éile, an elite warrior who leaves her clan to follow her heart as a nomadic musician.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Witcher: Blood Origin (live-action prequel miniseries set 1,200 years in the past) - new cast members announced (including Michelle Yeoh), filming to begin in UK in August
  • 1 year later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Witcher: Blood Origin (live-action prequel miniseries set 1,200 years in the past) - Christmas Day 2022 release announced
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Witcher: Blood Origin (live-action prequel miniseries set 1,200 years in the past, Christmas Day 2022) - Official Teaser Trailer
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Witcher: Blood Origin (live-action prequel miniseries set 1,200 years in the past, Christmas Day 2022) - Official Trailer
  • 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I've watched this series in its entirety over the last couple of days and I can safely say that it's not particularly good at all.

I don't think that even the originally-planned six episodes would've helped all that much in improving the final presentation.

I watched the first episode and the wife and I enjoyed it. The show seems to be getting lambasted online but I think some of that is hating on it because Cavill left and the Cavill stans are out. To me the first episode at least came off like DOTA: Dragon's Blood - funny, silly, R-rated high fantasy, much like the main show. Yes, it moves fast, and yes, it has a lot of exposition-laden dialogue, but it's shot well, acted well (so far) and it's nice to have something that moves quickly for once.

That being said, I have three more episodes to go, perhaps it shits the bed. But so far not nearly as bad as the internet would have you believe. That said, it's not Witcher-level quality either. However, Witcher itself has always come off as intentional B-tier high fantasy like Willow (except R-rated) and this feels like more of that, so people hating on this should not like the main show much either given the main show is also messy, has a lot of exposition, and moves fairly quickly. 

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I consider the main series to be pretty mediocre for the most part as well :p

Ah, well, then carry on, that's a perfectly reasonable response! The Witcher (the show, but the whole property) isn't some super canon-heavy, lore-heavy, everything is a perfectly built world Rubik's Cube like Game of Thrones. The Witcher's lore is vague, lots of shit just happens, and it focuses on cursing, sex, violence, and fun. Blood Origin feels (so far) like more of that. 

14 hours ago, silentbob said:

My friend watched the first episode and said he and his wife have no desire to finish. They said it’s just garbage and really poor writing

It's not necessarily garbage, merely profoundly mediocre much like the majority of the episodes of both seasons of the original series and lacking the characters or occasional high points to elevate it.

On 12/3/2022 at 2:15 PM, Jason said:

Despite this being a prequel that was never going to have him, Cavill leaving has still majorly drained my care cup for anything Netflix-Witcher related.

On 12/4/2022 at 8:03 AM, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, he's still in all of the upcoming season 3. I'd say watch this and season 3 and then give up perhaps. :p 

The fact that this wasn't very good seems to align with the speculation on why Cavill is leaving in the first place. :p

Finished this Thursday night - it was fine. Silly, mildly fun and entertaining, rushed but not overly so. It's a step down from the animated Nightmare of the Wolf spin-off film, which was pretty good but not amazing either. The show felt like a live-action D&D campaign. They certainly gave the show a solid budget and the actors did their best to make the archetypical characters work. I would give this a 6/10 most likely. It's a quick enough watch that for those watching all The Witcher stuff on Netflix, it's worth a browse.

• 3 months later...