[First Manafort trial] Manafort pleads guilty to two of seven charges in second case

You know how they say birds of a feather flock together?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/16/paul-manafort-trial-verdict-latest-updates-779660

As the wait began, Manafort’s attorneys decamped to the Westin hotel restaurant across the street from the courthouse, along with reporters and players from the New York Jets, who are in town for a pre-season game Thursday night against the Washington Redskins.

Manafort is doomed.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, some of the evidence of some of the crimes is incontrovertible. This will be appealed if he gets off completely, and they prosecution will win on appeal. 

prosecution cannot appeal an acquittal, that is double jeopardy

The only exception to an acquittal being final is if the defendant was never in actual jeopardy. If a defendant bribes a judge and obtains acquittal as a result of a bench trial, the acquittal is not valid because the defendant was never in jeopardy in the first place. Harry Aleman v. Judges of the Criminal Division, Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, et al., 138 F.3d 302 (7th Cir. 1998).

Kinda surprised Manafort didn’t ask for a bench trial. 

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, some of the evidence of some of the crimes is incontrovertible. This will be appealed if he gets off completely, and they prosecution will win on appeal. 

3 hours ago, elbobo said:

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Doesn't that only apply to murders? and isn't @Greatoneshere a Lawyer?

I was going to write out a long explanation of how, if this jury let's Manafort off the hook, it almost has to be because of a juror with an ax to grind. And, while not technically an appeal, I beleive the prosecution could then sue to have the decision thrown out if the juror had tipped his hand on his bias.

But there's a much simpler answer here. There is virtually no chance the whole jury is going to aquit on all charges. At best Manafort gets off on one or more counts due to a hung jury and the prosecution can choose to bring charges again, from what I understand.

Whether they would...who knows. If they win his next trial then it seems likely. If they lose there, trying Manafort again after "losing" twice would likely provide a lot of political fodder to the witch hunt narrative.

On 8/17/2018 at 1:32 PM, elbobo said:

Correct, but they'd appeal on grounds of jury bias or judge misconduct or some other legal technicality that would allow them to potentially re-litigate the case's facts and charges again. 

23 hours ago, elbobo said:

It is any crime. They can't keep trying you over and over again for robbing a bank. If you are found not guilty that is it. 

See above. 

21 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

I was going to write out a long explanation of how, if this jury let's Manafort off the hook, it almost has to be because of a juror with an ax to grind. And, while not technically an appeal, I beleive the prosecution could then sue to have the decision thrown out if the juror had tipped his hand on his bias.

But there's a much simpler answer here. There is virtually no chance the whole jury is going to aquit on all charges. At best Manafort gets off on one or more counts due to a hung jury and the prosecution can choose to bring charges again, from what I understand.

Whether they would...who knows. If they win his next trial then it seems likely. If they lose there, trying Manafort again after "losing" twice would likely provide a lot of political fodder to the witch hunt narrative.

More or less correct. :) 

55 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

So the jury asked how to fill out the verdict if they can't come to a consensus on a single count, which means all of them or one of them, lol.

From what I heard this morning, they are having trouble on one count out of 18... so they have consensus on 17 of the 18 counts and the judge may allow them to present a verdict on the 17 and be hung on the 18th. That's if I understood the talking head legal guys right.